Page 1 of 2
seven strings, eh?
I have enough trouble coping with six, i can't even begin to imagine the anguish you're going through, my friend
Favorite Songs:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Kryptonite
One
Stairway to Heaven
i think some amon amarth and dimmu borgir and fear factory uses 7 strings
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
lol i jsut got my 7 string last friday ive been working on meshuggah, nevermore, divine heresy, periphery/bulb, and some strapping young lad so i suggest anything from those bands :P
the mirror - dream theater
dark eternal night - dream theater
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
I'm just curious as to why you would buy a 7 string if you didn't know what to do with it.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by RPGoof
Dream Theater that isn't recent, I think they moved to 6 strings
Some Meshuggah
Slipknot lolol

They use drop tuned 6's, not 7's. I have no idea where that rumor keeps coming from as it's wrong.

@ts, you may want to note your current skill level so to try to keep the suggestions reasonable for you.
John Petrucci uses a seven string on Glass prison and Dark Eternal Night which are both pretty tough songs to master. I would suggest Born and This Godless Endeavor by Nevermore, they tune down a half step to Bb. The psalm of Lydia is a great song but it's played on a six string tuned to drop Db, so you won't benefit from the 7th string. You can also play some Korn songs if you like but they tune down a whole step. Good luck.
Quote by RPGoof
Dream Theater that isn't recent, I think they moved to 6 strings
Some Meshuggah
Slipknot lolol

dream theater - dark eternal night, the root of all evil, as I am, this dying soul, honor thy father etc.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
The Glass Prison - DT

AMAZING!

(but hard)

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by TheShred201
They use drop tuned 6's, not 7's. I have no idea where that rumor keeps coming from as it's wrong.

that may be right but a 7 string with the B dropped to A and the G dropped to F sharp is the same tuning as the dropped 6 string, just with a high E.
Quote by Neo Evil11
dream theater - dark eternal night, the root of all evil, as I am, this dying soul, honor thy father etc.

the root of all evil is a 6 tuned to Eb surely.
Quote by Neo Evil11
the root of all evil, as I am, this dying soul, honor thy father

These are all played on 6s; As I Am and Honor Thy Father are tuned to C and The Root of All Evil is Eb.

Quote by samlocke14
that may be right but a 7 string with the B dropped to A and the G dropped to F sharp is the same tuning as the dropped 6 string, just with a high E.

Fail again, for the most part they actually use 6s tuned to drop B; I think there's about 4-5 songs in their entire back catalogue tuned to drop A and anyway, the way the strings are arranged it's not exactly the same as a 7 tuned to drop A - the intervals work differently.

TS: Try just about anything by Nevermore, Korn, Outworld, Linear Sphere, older Meshuggah from before they moved to 8s, some Morbid Angel stuff, some Steve Vai, some Trivium, some Cannibal Corpse, some Behemoth, newer Strapping Young Lad (tuned to open C with a low G) and The Dance of Eternity by Dream Theater.

If you're feeling really adventurous you could try playing the Seoul Clinic version of "2 Become 1" by Paul Gilbert - it's played on a 7 string tuned to DDDEADG or posisbly DDDDGBE, I'm not sure. Either way it's quite a wierd one that he explains in the video which should be hanging around on youtube or you can get it from the Racer X website I believe.

Edit: PG tunes to DDDCFAD for "2 Become 1" on the 7 string version.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Aug 31, 2008,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
These are all played on 6s; As I Am and Honor Thy Father are tuned to C and The Root of All Evil is Eb.

Fail again, for the most part they actually use 6s tuned to drop B; I think there's about 4-5 songs in their entire back catalogue tuned to drop A and anyway, the way the strings are arranged it's not exactly the same as a 7 tuned to drop A - the intervals work differently.

oi, i was merely saying that the guy can play slipknot on a 7 string, and pointed out that it can be the same as a dropped 6.
Dream Theater - Lie

It's awesome, and will be the first song I'll be learning once I get my 7...

And don't Korn use 7s? At least Munky has his own signature 7...
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Quote by samlocke14
the root of all evil is a 6 tuned to Eb surely.

those songs I said are much easier to play on a 7-string if you don't like downtuning.

this dying soul is on a 7-string
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
*gives you the secret 7 string guitar handshake*
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Korn have some pretty okay songs that use a 7 string..

Coming Undone, Right Now and some other ones which i can't remember and cbf looking into.
any Korn? They use 7 string guiatrs
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Quote by RPGoof

Slipknot lolol

BUT FOR F***S SAKE

Slipknot has never used 7-strings. They use sixes downtuned to B
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Deftones, Nevermore, Korn, Outworld, Fear Factory. I'd love a 7 string, lots of my fav bands use them and i can't play their stuff
Quote by Neo Evil11
the root of all evil

Six tuned to Eb

Quote by Neo Evil11
, as I am, honor thy father etc.

Six tuned to C

Edit: oops... I'm late already...
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by bjoern_swe
Six tuned to Eb

Six tuned to C

Edit: oops... I'm late already...

much easier to tune UP idiots
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
much easier to tune UP idiots

C F A# D# G C

C F A# D# G# C F

See the difference there? The change in interval relationships on the 2nd/3rd strings would need some serious correcting if you're going to be playing Dream Theater and the like and anyway; tuning up feels horrible in terms of string tension, bending becomes something of a challenge at best.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Any song from Emperor's "Prometheus" album is good. The Tongue of Fire is fun and makes good use of all 7 strings.

lol and one of the guitarists in Spawn of Possession uses a 7 as well so.. if your looking for a challenge.
Last edited by Post?Organic at Sep 1, 2008,
Page 1 of 2