I have a guitar neck that I've sanded down. I like the colour of the wood and its smooth and very comfortable to play. However there's nothing on the wood (lacquer, paint, clear coat, whatever) so there's nothing protecting it from sweaty palms, humidity and all that.

What should i put on the wood? I was going to put some clear coat on it and call it a day. Should i do this?

Thanks
i wouldn't. iprefer that neck plain like that.

I've painted one and hated it afterwards aswell.
Quote by ILoveGuitar07
i wouldn't. iprefer that neck plain like that.

I've painted one and hated it afterwards aswell.

Yeah i really like the way it looks and feels. However i want to protect it so it wont rot or something.
a lot of shredders like the bare wood, as long as it's buffed really smooth. You dont have to finish it.

here's an example of how people would buff out a finished neck:
http://www.jemsite.com/articles/22-tech-setup-questions/653-mandatory-modifications.html#necksand

edit:
Yeah i really like the way it looks and feels. However i want to protect it so it wont rot or something.

Just dont soak it in water and leave it out in the woods overnight
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Greg Byers '01 Classical (Euro Spruce bent top)
Darren Hippner 8 String Classical (Engelmann Spruce)
Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
the best part is the sweat goes into the wood and makes it slightly more slick and even changes the the feel slightly for the better. Both my Explorer and my JEM have bare necks and I'm pretty proud of how good they feel haha.
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
sand it down with 1500 grit sand paper and then buff it with 0000 wire wool... maybe a light tung oil or something?
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by thepagesaretorn
a lot of shredders like the bare wood, as long as it's buffed really smooth. You dont have to finish it.

here's an example of how people would buff out a finished neck:
http://www.jemsite.com/articles/22-tech-setup-questions/653-mandatory-modifications.html#necksand

edit:

Just dont soak it in water and leave it out in the woods overnight

so does that apply for all woods...you dont have to treat them to avoid warping etc?!?
Quote by Cabron1
so does that apply for all woods...you dont have to treat them to avoid warping etc?!?

when wood is bare, you have to be careful about humidity, which is totally dependent on where you live. Eg, I live in Southern California and the weather is pretty much the same yearround. Warping happens when wood is exposed to too much dryness or humidity, because moisture either soaks in, pushing things around, or evaporates from, causing collapsing. if you're fearful of this you should get a humidifier and an electronic barometer.

Seriously though, with solidbodied guitars, it's pretty damn hard to eff em up generally speaking...I'd be more worried about messing a nice classical guitar, archtop or steel string. Personally, I dont own humidifiers because of said weather stability.
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
Quote by thepagesaretorn
when wood is bare, you have to be careful about humidity, which is totally dependent on where you live. Eg, I live in Southern California and the weather is pretty much the same yearround. Warping happens when wood is exposed to too much dryness or humidity, because moisture either soaks in, pushing things around, or evaporates from, causing collapsing. if you're fearful of this you should get a humidifier and an electronic barometer.

Seriously though, with solidbodied guitars, it's pretty damn hard to eff em up generally speaking...I'd be more worried about messing a nice classical guitar, archtop or steel string. Personally, I dont own humidifiers because of said weather stability.

I live in Australia and it gets pretty ****ing humid.

What should i do then? Cleat Coat is all i have access to. I could Buy something but... well im just cheap
tsung oil, like the other guy said, might be a good idea then. It makes for a pretty non-sticky surface for any fast playing. Personally I think that as long as you take good care of the guitar, keep it in its case and keep it in air conditioned/cool/shaded environments, nothing bad would happen to the neck, regardless of if you finished it or not, but i've never been to Australia so I cant really be a good judge of that.

(Of course you can take it out for specific things here and there, but even here where I am, I never leave my guitars in my car or anything, ESPECIALLY MY CLASSICAL haha. I'll freaking take it to the theater and the mall if i have it with me)

edit: dont just use normal clear coat =[. It'll end up all gunky feeling.
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
Quote by thepagesaretorn
tsung oil, like the other guy said, might be a good idea then. It makes for a pretty non-sticky surface for any fast playing. Personally I think that as long as you take good care of the guitar, keep it in its case and keep it in air conditioned/cool/shaded environments, nothing bad would happen to the neck, regardless of if you finished it or not, but i've never been to Australia so I cant really be a good judge of that.

(Of course you can take it out for specific things here and there, but even here where I am, I never leave my guitars in my car or anything, ESPECIALLY MY CLASSICAL haha. I'll freaking take it to the theater and the mall if i have it with me)

yeah if thats what you like then go for it man.
Quote by thepagesaretorn

Ok il have a look at Tsung oil. Where could i get it?
i went around looking for more info...i found stuff regarding using tung oil.

*edit: I just realized i couldnt paste the link i had here b/c it's a thread from another forum. sorry =[ *

As far as getting tung oil, im sure you can get it at hardware shops and w/e. It's used on furniture too. Just googling got me a slew of places:

fficial&hs=O7M&q=tung+oil&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title">fficial&hs=O7M&q=tung+oil&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title">http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&hs=O7M&q=tung+oil&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
Quote by thepagesaretorn
i went around looking for more info...i found stuff regarding using tung oil.

*edit: I just realized i couldnt paste the link i had here b/c it's a thread from another forum. sorry =[ *

As far as getting tung oil, im sure you can get it at hardware shops and w/e. It's used on furniture too. Just googling got me a slew of places:

fficial&hs=O7M&q=tung+oil&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title">fficial&hs=O7M&q=tung+oil&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title">http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&hs=O7M&q=tung+oil&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title

PM me the link

Oh il go to the hardware store nect weekend.
PM sent
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12