Ok guys... so i'm planning on going over to GC tomorrow and grabing an acoustic electric guitar but realized that i don't know much about them. Can you help me out by recommending some good models/brands and stuff to look for (ex: type of wood, body type)? Also... what are some good strings as well?

- Has to be acoustic electric
- Price limit around 350 dollars ...maybe 400 max
- Preferably cutaway

As for sound, i'm looking for something with nice deep bass and mids.

thanks you guys!

EDIT: i had been thinking of grabbing an Ibanez but i've heard some ppl say they're not that good.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Aug 31, 2008,
i used to own a aeg10 ibanez electro acoustic and now i upgraded to a taylor 314ce

i kind of miss my guitar a little

it was small ,it played fine ,had a little tuner built in it was very nice for a 300 dollar guitar doesnt compare to my taylor but it was a sweet guitar for 300 dollars and had a cutaway

ibanez does some pretty good acoustics in my opinion

this is the guitar i used to own but on black
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-AEG10E-AcousticElectric-Guitar-?sku=519982

try some ibanez guitar im pretty sure you will like them
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
Quote by gamepro
i would recomend a steel string one.

Yes, i'm getting a steel string acoustic electric.

Well... about 5 more hours till i go and look for one.

Wish me luck!

and yes... i'll try out as many as i can. Last week i tried out about 2 or 3 so yeah...

Their acoustics are fine, it's just you can get a better one in the same price range. it's far easier to find an alvarez (hint) in that same price range.

i also recommend buying a cutaway if it's for looks. just be sure to try out every guitar you can in your price range.

here's another website to look at before you leave.

http://www.acousticguitar.com/issues/ag77/CoverStory.shtml
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Well guys... thanks for your input.

I went ahead and got this today for 450 bucks. I remember someone asking about Laguna's acoustics and some ppl said they were pretty good. I compared it to some Ibanez, Ovation, and Yamahas of similar price and they didn't compare at all.

I'm so happy

Congrats if it plays half as good as it looks your in for some good times
i had that guitar...wasnt too bad
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Avoid ibanez acoustic guitars like the plague. For $300, you could be getting guitars with solid tops. Ibanez definitely does not give you a solid top. They give you a crappy piece of nice looking laminate wood and reel you in with their good looks. Ibanez also has pretty shoddy workmanship. You probably could find a decent sounding Ibanez. They can't all be horrible, but you really don't get quality control or good materials so you're taking a risk for sure.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Oh, it plays and sounds wonderfully. It sounds great even with the old, rusty strings it has (which i'll be changing for D'addario EXP bronze phosphor lights in some minutes).

I tried some Ibanez guitars and they weren't bad at all but they didn't give me the low end i was looking for.

I love this thing... and the looks are killer! Bubinga wood is my new best friend

Last edited by evening_crow at Sep 1, 2008,
very happy for you and your new guitar...but imho you should have spent the extra $150 and got what i bought....a breedlove ad25sr....it used to be $1000 but they all just dropped and music123.com has them for $600..and you want to hear low end..wait til you hear that rosewood back....they also come with a case that is the best hardshell ive seen yet...and you would get a solid top and back...just a suggestion...like i said..i "used" to have one...
ps guitar center will match the $600 price
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Last edited by twinturboaudi at Sep 1, 2008,
Quote by twinturboaudi
very happy for you and your new guitar...but imho you should have spent the extra $150 and got what i bought....a breedlove ad25sr....it used to be $1000 but they all just dropped and music123.com has them for $600..and you want to hear low end..wait til you hear that rosewood back....they also come with a case that is the best hardshell ive seen yet...and you would get a solid top and back...just a suggestion...like i said..i "used" to have one...
ps guitar center will match the $600 price

Thanks.

But i really didn't want to shell out so much money on an acoustic that i'll mainly only use for writing songs. Also, i only had around 700 dollars and i have yet to pay the electricity bill this week.

youll be happy with yours then.
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
how about an epiphone ej200ce. mine specifically for 350. Great condition
How about some pictures of your new guitar?!

Congrats on the purchase!