Page 1 of 3
I know the majority of people here aren't happy with the guitar hero fad and think it's getting old quickly...

But, does anyone else here share my opinion that it's good for kids to be exposed to classic rock, blues, metal, a large variety of different genres that generally don't fall on the ear of the average guitar hero player? Maybe less on the metal part.

Point and case... I remember when no one knew about Dragonforce. That changed pretty quick. Since GH3, people all around me have heard of Eric Johnson, ZZ Top and other bands that until now have been considered lame just because of their age.

I'm excited about Satch Boogie in GH4, Satriani will finally getting the attention he deserves (in my opinion). Voodoo Child is also in Rockband 2... I can't wait to see what happens to that song in popularity when it hits the shelves. Everyone knows the riff but can't give it the name.

I don't know. I think its cool that music and video games are being combined. Thats why I like guitar hero; its a combination of my two oldest passions.

Discuss?
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
It's good when after the kids hear the music, they try to find more music by the artists rather than listen to that 1 song over and over.

But yeah I agree Guitar Hero is good because it exposes people to music they probably wouldn't have listened to.
guitar hero is a good game period... made me learn the guitar... but yes, i agree it does expose them to the classics, which is good
Quote by emery01

So now there's seven guys writhing around on the floor, moaning and holding their 'nads.

Ahh, good times.

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

Quote by riffmasterjosh
yeah right ur on. i challenge you to a beard off.
You want a beard, off?

Then shave, stuipid
I kind of like it for my own selfish reasons.

Since it came out, guitar has gotten very popular (t-shirts, games, etc.)
and it helps me be cooler because I'm pretty good on guitar.

On the other hand, I take **** for liking Dragonforce because of all the 13-year-olds who claim Herman Li is the best guitarist ever.
But it's also pretty annoying when you ask a person why he's wearing a slayer shirt and he answers "BCUZ I PLAYD RAININ BLOOD ON GH3 OMFGZ SLAYER IS SOOO AWESOME SECOND TO DRAGONFORCE I CAN BEAT TTFAF 5 STARTS ON EXPERT LOLOLOLO NOOB", or something like that, but whatever.
its good that they are exposed to good music, but bad that they should be playing real guitar. they should make it into a learning tool so you play games and actually learn to play at the same time electronically.
ya i guess its good for kids

but i love it when people brag about how much percent they got on dragonforce
I sort of see that as a double edged sword.

The majority of my friends who play GH, hear one or two songs form the game and then look up the band and find more music. That's a good thing and I think it's great GH is exposing music that way.

However there's also the few people who will hear a song from GH and not bother or even care about anything else the band has made. That's fine too but then they go on about how much they know about the band etc...

I was never really good at video games and GH was no exception. So for the most part I don't even bother with it and whatever other people are doing with the game has nothing to do with me.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
I like guitar hero, I actually find it more difficult than real guitar.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by Kartman
I like guitar hero, I actually find it more difficult than real guitar.

Me too. And so does:

Marcus Henderson, Dave Mustaine, Trent Reznor, and Herman Li.
Quote by Cabron1
its good that they are exposed to good music, but bad that they should be playing real guitar. they should make it into a learning tool so you play games and actually learn to play at the same time electronically.

GH is just a game, not a learning device for guitars.

GH not only inspired me to play guitar, but it also opened me up to new bands I may never have heard anywhere else (Drist, an Endless Sporadic, etc.) It will do this for many other people, which is great for music.

Though the Dragonforce/GH fanboys are pretty annoying, I try to not let them affect my opinion on either of those things.
Yeah there are alot of stupid guitar hero players out there, this is true.

A friend of mine beat Through The Fire And Flames on expert, and he said "You know when you think about it, this proves that its possible to actually play that fast."

I attempted to tell him how 5 buttons is entirely different from 6 strings and 24+ frets but he stood by his claim; by the fact that it's possible to beat guitar hero on expert, its possible to move your fingers fast enough to play it live.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Yeah there are alot of stupid guitar hero players out there, this is true.

A friend of mine beat Through The Fire And Flames on expert, and he said "You know when you think about it, this proves that its possible to actually play that fast."

I attempted to tell him how 5 buttons is entirely different from 6 strings and 24+ frets but he stood by his claim; by the fact that it's possible to beat guitar hero on expert, its possible to move your fingers fast enough to play it live.

You should've explained to him that it's really not that hard to move your fingers that fast, it's memorization and improvisation.
Quote by Morry
its good that theyre being exposed to more music, but the amount of people i know that are guitar hero addicts is quite sad. They spend hours practising. Why not get a real guitar?

agreed

-----------------------

there are people at my school that in freetime listen to music and they will put on songs that are on guitar hero, and then say stuff like "ha! this one is easy" "oh! the ending on this song is hard" and stuf like that, but never other songs by the same artist.

one time they put on "cliff's of dover" then "my name is jonas" then "story of my life"(or something like that) wich all are on guitar hero.

anyway's guitar hero is a nice way to inspire kids to listen to good music, but there's always going to be someone who thinks thei're god because they can press the orange button... wich is kinda sad.
i love guitar hero but knew about all the bands i like in the games before them!
except strongbad!
TROGDOR!!!

anyway me and a few mates are going to one of their gigs with guitar hero controllers, should be a laugh
well i agree with the guys here, i played sax for 10 ears and i was all into jazz and rap. then guitar hero exposed me to classic bands like cream and ZZ Top. i bought a guitar and taught myself and have loved it ever since, i have not gone back to rap since.

the way i compare guitar hero to real guitar is that there is much mroe satisfaction learning the same song on the real guitar and even more because u arent limited by the setlist given on the game

theres my 2 cents :P

TROGDOR!
Gear:
Maton MS503
Squier Strat
Randall RG75DG3+
H & K 100W Switchblade
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Digitech Crossroads
Digitech Jamman
Zoom G1

Quote by Sol9989
Caramello wins life.

Quote by A8039077
Caramello, that's mother****ing genius!
I agree with most of you. But my current opinion of GH still stands.

Guitar Hero is like masturbation, it's a sad excuse for the real thing.
Quote by SmElLy KiD
That is priceless man, you might be my new idol.

TS, whenever I see your username, I misread it as "isuckhardcocks."

Just had to get that out there.

We're ticking away, the moments that make up the dull days
I've played guitar for a year and a half and bought GH III. It intorduces people my age (Teenagers - Im 15) to so many bands they haven't really listened too. I'd never heard of eric johnson, black sabbath, dragonforce, weezer or so many bands before it. People criticize it but in a way it can be educational. Get kids away from that bull**** called rap.
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
I've played guitar for a year and a half and bought GH III. It intorduces people my age (Teenagers - Im 15) to so many bands they haven't really listened too. I'd never heard of eric johnson, black sabbath, dragonforce, weezer or so many bands before it. People criticize it but in a way it can be educational. Get kids away from that bull**** called rap.
Although when I say people who can play Through the fira and flames 99.99% perfect im like...you could of learnt it on real guitar dip****.
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Love guitar hero for that reason,not even becasue kids,for myself aswell.I'm 21 and I've played real guitar for like 6 years now,and up untill guitar hero,I'll be honest,other than like 1 song,I had NEVER even made a effort to listen to Megadeth.
I'd never even heard of Eric Johnson.I enjoy it as a game,becasue sometimes it's nice to take some time off from the realy guitar,and in my case,pretend you're better than you actually are.
Proud Member Of The Leah Dizon Fan Club
It's good that it gets good music out to kids who might otherwise never hear it.

It's bad that kids think they know rock and roll inside out when they've only played guitar hero. I also think it's bad that being good at guitar hero gets more respect than being good at playing a real guitar.

And DragonForce were famous before Guitar Hero.

I've never played Guitar Hero myself, but I have noticed that since it came out, people are crazy about all the bands featured in it.
I remember I tried to introduce a friend of mine to Megadeth. He didn't like it at first. Now that he's played guitar hero, he loves them.

I don't mean to sound like one of those fags who say "yeah, I liked it BEFORE it became cool" but that's honestly the way it was.
Quote by sashki
It's good that it gets good music out to kids who might otherwise never hear it.

It's bad that kids think they know rock and roll inside out when they've only played guitar hero. I also think it's bad that being good at guitar hero gets more respect than being good at playing a real guitar.

And DragonForce were famous before Guitar Hero.

I've never played Guitar Hero myself, but I have noticed that since it came out, people are crazy about all the bands featured in it.
I remember I tried to introduce a friend of mine to Megadeth. He didn't like it at first. Now that he's played guitar hero, he loves them.

I don't mean to sound like one of those fags who say "yeah, I liked it BEFORE it became cool" but that's honestly the way it was.

I find it ****ing hilarious trying to talk about the life of Rock n' Roll with someone like you described. Making jaws drop is fun XD.
Quote by SmElLy KiD
That is priceless man, you might be my new idol.

TS, whenever I see your username, I misread it as "isuckhardcocks."

Just had to get that out there.

We're ticking away, the moments that make up the dull days
i like guitar hero, i think it exposed me to other music and improved my overall guitar skills i think. either way. its a great game
I wish people would realise that it's not in any way comparable to the real thing. IT'S A GAME, dammit. There's no point in arguing whether or not it's more difficult than real guitar, as they different things.

Would you argue that Pong is harder than table tennis?

What I find strange about Guitar Hero is that it's such a ****ing simple game. Today's game consoles can give you, like, photo-realistic graphics, huge landscapes to explore, immense numbers of in-game options, but Guitar Hero is "liek press teh buttunz when u c teh colorz lol".

It could have been made, like, 15 years ago. (Similar games have been around in japanese arcades since the mid 90's)
Quote by isuckhardcore
I agree with most of you. But my current opinion of GH still stands.

Guitar Hero is like masturbation, it's a sad excuse for the real thing.

*applause*
Quote by sashki
I wish people would realise that it's not in any way comparable to the real thing. IT'S A GAME, dammit. There's no point in arguing whether or not it's more difficult than real guitar, as they different things.

Would you argue that Pong is harder than table tennis?

What I find strange about Guitar Hero is that it's such a ****ing simple game. Today's game consoles can give you, like, photo-realistic graphics, huge landscapes to explore, immense numbers of in-game options, but Guitar Hero is "liek press teh buttunz when u c teh colorz lol".

It could have been made, like, 15 years ago. (Similar games have been around in japanese arcades since the mid 90's)

i agree with you completely. it's just a game, but it's good fun.
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

It's good that they know it BUT alot of them will only listen the bands in the game.Some of them only like the songs because the game tells them.I never really got into the game.Real guitar is way better.But when one picks a song you know then you go get your guitar and proceed to play that same song with more awesomeness...priceless
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
I hate how, whenever someone puts like a CD on with GH songs, all they can say is "Oh man I hate this song the intro is so hard, skip to the next one". Damnit. You don't ever skip Cliffs of Dover.

Ever.

But other then that it's bringing guitar-oriented rock up to the forefront, and a lot of decent bands are getting some mainstream popularity. It'll be cool to see how that will affect upcoming bands and so forth in the future.
I hate kids that only like the GH songs like Black Hole Sun and they don't pay attention to the other better songs. ya know. Or Radiohead and so on.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
voodoo child isn't in rock band 2....
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
It's good for people to be exposed to lots of different music, but no genre is better than any other. A lot of you guys could stand to be exposed to some good rap music.

*makes Gangbanger Hero game*
i think it is quite good because it does get people into alot of different types of music.

take myself for example, i liked the songs holiday in cambodia and paint it black that are on guitar hero 3 and i downloaded them. whereas without playing guitar hero i would never have considered putting a rolling stones song on my ipod.

on the other hand it has made me bored of certain songs. such as before i forget. i can't stand listening to it very much anymore because i've heard it so much now.

so overall i think it is a good thing because it does promote some more obscure bands that not many people have heard of and gets people to learn guitar and things because they know it's fun and exciting.

Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
But it's also pretty annoying when you ask a person why he's wearing a slayer shirt and he answers "BCUZ I PLAYD RAININ BLOOD ON GH3 OMFGZ SLAYER IS SOOO AWESOME SECOND TO DRAGONFORCE I CAN BEAT TTFAF 5 STARTS ON EXPERT LOLOLOLO NOOB", or something like that, but whatever.

i hate people like that.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by SlipknotRule93
i think it is quite good because it does get people into alot of different types of music.

take myself for example, i liked the songs holiday in cambodia and paint it black that are on guitar hero 3 and i downloaded them. whereas without playing guitar hero i would never have considered putting a rolling stones song on my ipod.

on the other hand it has made me bored of certain songs. such as before i forget. i can't stand listening to it very much anymore because i've heard it so much now.

so overall i think it is a good thing because it does promote some more obscure bands that not many people have heard of and gets people to learn guitar and things because they know it's fun and exciting.

i hate people like that.

Through reading your post I get that you're somehow implying that Rolling Stones=obscure...
Quote by wizards?
Through reading your post I get that you're somehow implying that Rolling Stones=obscure...

no i just don't like alot of their stuff.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
I think guitar hero has certainly gotten alot more people into rock music. I wouldn't be here without it, but the problem i find is that most people "only" like the songs from guitar hero and play them to death.
Pretty much all that has been said before.

I've mastered Guitar Hero (Dragonforce can't beat me )

More importantly though, you can't create and innovate new music on a plastic guitar. Thats when you pick up the real deal and create a song yourself. I've actually modded a couple of my songs into my copy of guitar hero. Pretty fun to make a friend play it.

Of course i'll always be angry at all the Muse "fans" that only know "Knights Of Cydonia". Im also angry that people can't get the first couple guitar hero games. (The third one which everyone plays has a horrible soundtrack compared to the first couple)

Also the ability to move four fingers in unison to your thumb shouldn't make you a higher being than anyone else.
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
A backstabbin' bitch who calls himself the 'oracle'?

Quote by 100%guitarmad
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REFER TO THE FIRST QUOTE IN YOUR SIGNATURE

UG loves me so much. Do you?

MY NAME IS JACOB. CALL ME THAT.
Page 1 of 3