I'm in the proccess of painting my guitar, (its a strat style) and I've noticed that the top is maple, but it is entirely plywood underneath the maple, and the arm contours are glued on ply aswell. Is this normal, or a sign of cheap manufacturing?
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
well it really depends where you got it
Quotes from other UGers in your signatures that talk about how good you are suck donkey schlong.
eh?
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by Hereiwas
eh?

What brand is it?
How much did you pay?

Normally most guitars arent like that...
ya plywood pretty much = crap

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Oh right. Its a Hohener Arbor MX, which isnt stunning i know. I was just wondering why it was maple seemingly glued onto plywood.
CuSO4

Quote by Hereiwas
Oh right. Its a Hohener Arbor MX, which isnt stunning i know. I was just wondering why it was maple seemingly glued onto plywood.

cus it's so much cheaper to do than a solid maple body or a maple top on alder/ash/solid wood of any kind.

basically you've got a maple veneer, which is like 3/16 of an inch of maple give or take, most likely take.

all that really matters is if you like the way it sounds. sure plywood isn't a tone wood - hell its barely even wood to begin with - but if you like the way it sounds then it doesnt really matter what its made out of or what anyones opinion of it is. only your opinion matters.
Do it anyway! The stuff you'll earn from refinishing to electronics to setting up would be worth it ... as long as you don't go crazy with boutique upgrades.

I've played a no-name plywood Strat copy through a Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MK II and it slayed! The only upgrades I did in addition to a re-finish were new pots, switch, and output jack.

Quote by LP Addict
I know a guy who made a neck out of plywood. It was all hard-maple plies, his neck was like 28 pieces, talk about seriously strong, also really ugly. i want to find a picture of it.

yeah. have you seen the budget martins? the necks must be f'n indestructible.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.