Hi I have an occasion to buy an ibanez jem in nearly perfect condition
but, I have read through several sites where fakes have been shown, but I still dont know wheter this jem is fake.

Thanks in advance ! (It costs 1299 $ btw.)
I'd say it's a fake. Just found this link:

http://glasgow.gumtree.com/glasgow/39/23845739.html

Apparently these replicas feature:

Unscalloped frets, non-branded hardware and golden knobs instead of white ones, such as the guitar on that picture of yours (usually the inlay is kind of a giveaway too though I can't get a good look at the fretboard).

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at Aug 31, 2008,
I dont have any other pics, its from guitarcenter shop. One other thing is it the jem 7 or the 555 one ? I thought it was fake by looking at the tone and volume knobs - they are gold.
Quote by r4ster
I dont have any other pics, its from guitarcenter shop. One other thing is it the jem 7 or the 555 one ? I thought it was fake by looking at the tone and volume knobs - they are gold.

It's a replica of the JEM7VWH, and a pretty nice one too I must say. Makes you wonder what it'd sound like. Hell, it might even sound just as awesome as the real deal though 1299 bucks seems a bit expensive for a fake Ibanez

And yeah, if you do a search on google you'll find that all the "real" ones do feature white knobs which seems kinda stupid to me: why spend so much work on creating an awesome replica and then put on the wrong knobs? How hard can it be to order a bunch of white volume / tone knobs...

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
On the jems with gold hardware, i forget which number they are the inlay carrys on right down to the end of teh fretboard, on that it stops at around the 17th fret. Plus the trem looks like an ofr rather than an Ibanez trem, i very much doubt its an original
Its real, you can tell by the tremolo, that's a Lo-Pro Edge if I'm not mistaken, look at where the trem posts are and look at the copy, most likely the guy changed the knobs to gold to make it match the hardware, TS did you have a chance to try it?
It could always be a fake, but they can also have only changed the knobs. You never know. But as far as i can give you an advise let your ears judge the quality try that JEM and try some other Ibanez guitars from the same pricerange. If it sound just as good as the rest or better why bother about whether or not its a replica?

I hope that it is the sound you buying the guitar for
Well the point is, that I am from Poland, and my dad will be visiting USA in one month or so. I found this guitar used on guitarcenter but I cant have an option to test it in the USA. But yeah, I dont really think that professional music shop would sell fake used ibanez, and surely not for 1300$.
I would contact Ibanez with somekind of serial number...
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Quote by MopMaster
Pics? I'd personally look at the neck; the real deal has a sorta floral design on it, right?

*pics*
That's what you're looking for; those 2 are JEM 555s.

The floral on the JEM555 is different from the one on the 7VWH.

The 555 is a budget Korean JEM and therefore also has a smaller inlay than the 7V, which has a full vine.

TS, judging from that pic, it looks pretty good; the last four frets appear to be scalloped, the vine seems right, the headstock says "JEM" instead of "JEM JR." like some fakes do and there doesn't seem to be anything particularly wrong with it.

To be absolutely sure though, you'd need more and bigger pictures.

Quote by 666-JoE-666
I would contact Ibanez with somekind of serial number...

They can't tell you anything other than where it was made and in what year (which is incredibly easy to find out yourself). As far as I know they don't keep a record of each guitar, at least not a public one.

Quote by shwilly
I'd say it's a fake. Just found this link:

http://glasgow.gumtree.com/glasgow/39/23845739.html

Apparently these replicas feature:

Unscalloped frets, non-branded hardware and golden knobs instead of white ones, such as the guitar on that picture of yours (usually the inlay is kind of a giveaway too though I can't get a good look at the fretboard).

It looks similar, although that's mostly because of the gold knobs.

To me, the one at the top of the page looks scalloped, but it might just be the angle at which the pic was taken.

Again, to be sure, you need more pics.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Aug 31, 2008,

That is a real one.

So I'm guessing the one at the top is real too, just with changed knobs.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Bonsaischaap
The floral on the JEM555 is different from the one on the 7VWH.

The 555 is a budget Korean JEM and therefore also has a smaller inlay than the 7V, which has a full vine.

TS, judging from that pic, it looks pretty good; the last four frets appear to be scalloped, the vine seems right, the headstock says "JEM" instead of "JEM JR." like some fakes do and there doesn't seem to be anything particularly wrong with it.

To be absolutely sure though, you'd need more and bigger pictures.

They can't tell you anything other than where it was made and in what year (which is incredibly easy to find out yourself). As far as I know they don't keep a record of each guitar, at least not a public one.

They'll be able to tell you if the guitar is legit or not surely? i mean, i presume they keep a record of each guitar...
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Quote by 666-JoE-666
They'll be able to tell you if the guitar is legit or not surely? i mean, i presume they keep a record of each guitar...

all the fakers would need to do is go to a store, make a note of a real JEMs serial number and put it on their fakes.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by 666-JoE-666

Nearly no major company does, apart from some companies' custom shops.

They produce vast amounts of instruments every month, so keeping a record is a tall order.

Quote by Lemoninfluence
all the fakers would need to do is go to a store, make a note of a real JEMs serial number and put it on their fakes.

Even if they can't find a real JEM, making a legit looking serial number is easy...

By the way, it's worth noting the black trem bar, which is the only color they come in for that particular trem. It might be a small point, but it does hint at a legit guitar...

Also, the fake JEM in the posted link has a black logo, this one has a gold one (like it's supposed to be).

Then there's the matter of inlay material: a real JEM has abalone and pearloid:

The fake one in the link seems to have an inlay made from one type of material, while the posted JEM looks like it has both.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Aug 31, 2008,
both are fake.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400