I've got really bad fretbuzz on the first 5 frets of the high e string. I don't seem to really get it anywhere else, cept from the low e and a, but its hardly noticeble there and hence its never bothered me.

So, what should I do? I was considering raising the string height via the saddles in the bridge, would this be the best idea? Or will I have to dive into the wonderful world of truss rod adjustment ( )?

Thanks for any help in advance.
"It's funny how most people love the dead. Once you're dead, you're made for life" - Jimi Hendrix

Quote by TheClincher
Is it incest if I had sex with my brother in law's half sister? Because if it is, it was so ****ing worth it.
just fret the low E first fret, at the same time,
fret the low E last fret, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held look at the middle frets 7-9th

if the string lays on the fret wire there you dont have enough bend
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there you have more than enough.

it's either that or your strings are old or that your high e is bad.

it could also be a low cut nut but in all those cases raising the action at the bridge seldom ever works 100% with first few frets buzzing.

so measure or think about it and repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
just fret the low E first fret, at the same time,
fret the low E last fret, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held look at the middle frets 7-9th

if the string lays on the fret wire there you dont have enough bend
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there you have more than enough.

it's either that or your strings are old or that your high e is bad.

it could also be a low cut nut but in all those cases raising the action at the bridge seldom ever works 100% with first few frets buzzing.

so measure or think about it and repost.

The string is definately touching the fret wire, although I am tuned half a step down. So I take it i'll have to adjust the truss rod?
"It's funny how most people love the dead. Once you're dead, you're made for life" - Jimi Hendrix

Quote by TheClincher
Is it incest if I had sex with my brother in law's half sister? Because if it is, it was so ****ing worth it.
are you always going to leave the guitar tuned a half step down?

are you happy with the string gauge you're using now?

going thicker might help with floppy string and with buzz.

if you want to set the guitar up with this gauge and for this tuning, then yes you should adjust the neck for this setting.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

are you always going to leave the guitar tuned a half step down?
No, usually standard but it still buzzes then anyway.

are you happy with the string gauge you're using now?
Yes
going thicker might help with floppy string and with buzz.

if you want to set the guitar up with this gauge and for this tuning, then yes you should adjust the neck for this setting.

I take it there's a truss rod adjustment thing on this site somewhere?

Quote by TheClincher
yeah it's right here in your thread.

i suggest you tune it to standard, then adjust the neck.

so, tune it up, measure the fret vs string gap at the middle frets, and if the string is stil on the wire there (which it will be)

then turn the truss rod nut 1/4" Counter Clockwise.

don't force the turn, that's a very small amount. leave the guitar tuned up for an hour then remeasure.

but don't adjust it any more today. a quarter inch turn is all that should be made a day. and it takes more than an hour to get an idea of how the neck will settle.

leaving a guitar down tuned will allow it to straighten out a bit, so it's best if you learn how to make this adjustment.
you'll need to check your neck and do this slight turn from time to time, (maybe a month or more) to make your guitar it's most playable.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

thanks

Quote by TheClincher