Page 1 of 2
So I'm really into Howlin' Wolf right now and thought there should be a thread for the Wolf.

He is one of the greatest blues singers of all time and has the most distinctive falsetto ever imo. He is also one of the most recognisable characters in the blues, his unmistakeable style clearly holds deep roots in the delta but he made it something else in the Chicago blues scene.

I'll be Back Someday

Feel free to talk about his band, life, style, voice, size etc.

So post away!
OOOOOoooOOooOOOHHH

Smokestack Lightnin

Shinin, Just like gold

OOOOOOh Can't you hear me cry

OooooooOO OOOoooOOOoOO
If I could have man's voice, I might pick the Wolf's.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
I heard him actually on the radio other day and i was like HOLY ****, i coudnt believe it.
I really like Wolf. "Killing Floor" is my favorite.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by Dchild042
I heard him actually on the radio other day and i was like HOLY ****, i coudnt believe it.

What?

For realz?

That's awesome.
ya it was on the blues and jazz channel of this satellite radio thing i have.
See my icon picture

I know it's kinda dumb, but for some reason I always think if I am ever on a talk show or something where I get to come out to music, I'm going to insist that the band plays "Killing Floor."

So much great music, and I know they are the two of his most popular songs, but I think that I could listen to "Smokestack Lightnin" and "Killing Floor" damn near forever.
She put poison in my coffee

Instead of milk or cream

She's the meanest old woman

You ever did see.
Quote by Dchild042
ya it was on the blues and jazz channel of this satellite radio thing i have.

My sister has satelite radio in her car. They have a bunch of jazz channels but only one blues channel if i recall.
somebody brings up a wolf thread every so often but they usually just sink.

anyway good luck with this one, wolf was one of my first blues influences (along with john lee hooker). 'smokestack lightnin' has to be one of the all time classics of blues.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
^ I own the Chulahoma CD, so of course I've heard the Keys version. I've heard the Junior Kimbrough version, too.

I know Wolf is known as Chicago blues, but he has a distinct sound that screams Memphis.

I think he does a version of Leavin Trunk, too, unless I'm confusing him with someone.
He did live in Arkansas (which is in Memphis isn't it? I dunno) so that might be teh reasonzorzx behind your thinking. He clearly absorbed all the influences he heard and made it his own, Delta, Memphis and the rest of the Chicago blues scene.
Quote by ze monsta
He did live in Arkansas (which is in Memphis isn't it? I dunno) so that might be teh reasonzorzx behind your thinking. He clearly absorbed all the influences he heard and made it his own, Delta, Memphis and the rest of the Chicago blues scene.

Lolz, Memphis is in Tennessee, and Hubert Sumlin is from Memphis.

There is a West Memphis, Arkansas, though.
It happens.
He's just a Spoonful of awesome.

How about the controversial rumors going around about Hubert and Wolf being more then just close pals?
^I doubt that's true.
Seriously, all this bull s being drummed up by idiots...
Quote by ze monsta
That's all lies.

Haven't you seen the interviews where Hubert said that Wolf would fire him (and then rehire him) and shout at him and stuff.

Anyways, Wolf was married.

Sounds like a bickering couple to me

And, being married is really no hindrance. Would that really be the first time anyone slept with someone outside the marriage?

I'm not saying it's true or anything, but really. Those arguments don't even point towards them not having a lil' thing going on.
And there is what proof to show that they did?

Come on, I don't know where you read that **** but that's all it is.

They weren't so much arguments as I'm not trying to defend them or anything, merely pointing out.
Meh, I'm not saying it's true or defending it. Just saying, who knows?

Anyways, Howlin' Wolf is an absolute badass, do we really need to say anything more? ^^
Please stop this talk.

THE Howlin' Wolf was not gay.

I'm not listening to anymore nonsense on the subject.
Quote by slidething31
Please stop this talk.

THE Howlin' Wolf was not gay.

I didn't expect something like this to pop up in the Blues and Jazz Forum...

Regardless, I've been dying to see Hubert Sumlin live.
Hey, I'm Mike.
^ Whatever man, get over it.

Not everyone is so worldly, open, compassionate, and liberal minded , as to be comfortable with homosexuality. Especially not involving a blues legend.

Go vote for Obama or something...
I love how prickly some people get at the mere mention of homosexuality. Pathetic.
Quote by chobe
I love how prickly some people get at the mere mention of homosexuality. Pathetic.

I love how some people are so stupid and biased that they try to paint important historical and famous figures as homosexuals, as a means to an end.

It goes both ways (oh, I'm so punny)
Quote by slidething31

Not everyone is so worldly, open, compassionate, and liberal minded , as to be comfortable with homosexuality. Especially not involving a blues legend.

Wait, what?? I do believe you took that the wrong way.

I had just assumed that the blues and jazz forum wouldn't care about some rumor about a musician being gay. This had nothing to do with my own personal views, or the views of anyone else here... just the fact that it was being discussed so much. No need to flip out and hurl insults, man.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by Thefallofman
Wait, what?? I do believe you took that the wrong way.

I had just assumed that the blues and jazz forum wouldn't care about some rumor about a musician being gay. This had nothing to do with my own personal views, or the views of anyone else here... just the fact that it was being discussed so much. No need to flip out and hurl insults, man.

I apologize. I read your statement the wrong way. I was just sick of all the holier than thou sentiment that sometimes seems rampant, both on this site, and in real life.

Friends?

Quote by slidething31
I apologize. I read your statement the wrong way. I was just sick of all the holier than thou sentiment that sometimes seems rampant, both on this site, and in real life.

Friends?

Don't worry about it man.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by slidething31

Stupid compassionate, open minded people........

Watergate Blues ftw

Jack my swag
Last edited by gopherthegreat at Sep 3, 2008,
To get this thread back to the Wolf, I thought I'd share this link: http://www.howlingwolfphotos.com/

I just found this site and read the story sections, and my respect for Howlin' Wolf has grown a ton- and I had a ton of it before. Not only was he one of the greatest blues singers ever, it also seems like he was a truly great person.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by ze monsta
I love how pathetic some people are.

GTFO and don't come back anytime soon.

haha, chill winston. I just thought folks overreacted a wee bit. that's the end of it from me - I only have two howlin' wolf songs anyway. must get some more, smokestack lightnin' rocks my socks.
Page 1 of 2