...do you recommend for an acoustic (steel)? I want good, crisp bass and mids for acoustic. I realized i don't know much about acoustic strings. I've heard D'addario are pretty good but i have no experience with them. Also, what's a good gauge for me? Most likely i'll have it set up to drop Db like my les paul.

On electric i use hybrid slinkies on a les paul set to drop Db. They're not too tight and allow easy bends but aren't floppy.

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
didario's are excellent so are martin studio performance strings, i believe there are now martin strings with flexible cores so well suited to bends if you like the ide of them. if your going to drop tune then id run 13's but standard id go for 12's.
Martin SP's are my favorite acoustic strings. The 13's.
Quote by fenderman0100
didario's are excellent so are martin studio performance strings, i believe there are now martin strings with flexible cores so well suited to bends if you like the ide of them. if your going to drop tune then id run 13's but standard id go for 12's.

Thanks... I mean, it's not much of a drop in pitch, it's only a semitone down (3 on the low e though). On the electric i use 09-11-16-26-36-46. Wouldn't 12 be a bit too much?

Ernie Balls Earthwoods are what I use, I like their tone... but D'addario are damn fine too, easy to string up 'cos of their colour coding.
Quote by evening_crow
Thanks... I mean, it's not much of a drop in pitch, it's only a semitone down (3 on the low e though). On the electric i use 09-11-16-26-36-46. Wouldn't 12 be a bit too much?

Acoustic strings are generally heavier than electric strings.
D'addario - I cannot recommend Martin &co strings, 'cause they go broke really quickly. The last set I had, for example, after about four weeks the winding was coming apart in the middle of the g-string, and I hadn't played that much.
Quote by imgooley
Acoustic strings are generally heavier than electric strings.

I am aware of that... it's just that going from .009 to something like .013 seems much of a difference.

What about Elixir strings?