hey all,

I'm looking for an amp for my strat. versatility is a big thing, id really like some nice sounding cleans for some jazzy or blues type sounds but id also be playing a fair amount of indie rock and some grunge. no metal. i really like the idea of the fender champ although im thinking i would have to also get some kind of a pedal for it. what do you think?

this is going to be mostly for practice. my price range is under $500.
You gigging? If so, you'll want to hit the used market and get a Peavey Classic 30 or a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or something similar. You'll need the extra power for cleans.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
All this Blues Junior talk...

I picked up a Carvin V16 just a couple days ago, and in my short time with it I feel it's a much better choice than the Jr. This is one with a Vintage 30 in it, not that horrid 100w Carvin that they come with now.

Everything a Jr. can do, it does better. I just posted a little taste of what it can do on my profile, blues-style.
Genius may have its limitations; stupidity is not thus handicapped.
Quote by ObsceneGestures

I picked up a Carvin V16 just a couple days ago, and in my short time with it I feel it's a much better choice than the Jr. This is one with a Vintage 30 in it, not that horrid 100w Carvin that they come with now.

Everything a Jr. can do, it does better. I just posted a little taste of what it can do on my profile, blues-style.

wow that did NOT sound good sorry.
Quote by slatsmania
You gigging? If so, you'll want to hit the used market and get a Peavey Classic 30 or a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or something similar. You'll need the extra power for cleans.

He said it would be for practice.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by mmjohn
wow that did NOT sound good sorry.

Not to be rude, but I have to agree.

The BJ wold work, but I would go for a classic 30 since if you ever join a band you'll have the extra headroom for gigs.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Yea that's my terrible microphone, random eight year old PC mic. I've already planned a good mic as my next purchase. The one I have isn't so buzzy if I move it like, 10 feet away from my amp, but there's a lot of ambient noise around here and at that point it starts to pick it up.

There's a youtube video of a V30 modded V16 that gives a much better approximation of the tone, try that.
Quote by ObsceneGestures
Yea that's my terrible microphone, random eight year old PC mic. I've already planned a good mic as my next purchase. The one I have isn't so buzzy if I move it like, 10 feet away from my amp, but there's a lot of ambient noise around here and at that point it starts to pick it up.

There's a youtube video of a V30 modded V16 that gives a much better approximation of the tone, try that.

Edit: Here it is:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=HpQtympJDO8
I would say for what you play, go Super Champ. It can go from jazzy cleans to pretty thick gain. It has plenty of effects.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by lespaul#1
He said it would be for practice.

Actually he said:

Quote by will342
this is going to be mostly for practice.

Anyway, in that size/price range, I like the Fender Pro Jr. better than the Champ or Blues.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
thanks guys. ill check it all out. i think 400 for a used junior is pretty fair is it not?
Quote by will342
i think 400 for a used junior is pretty fair is it not?

No. I wouldn't pay more than $300.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
blues jr used $300

if you play with a drummer ever then

classic 30 used $350 both USD

edit: obscene, not a fan of the tone, but good work anyway.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 2, 2008,
Quote by ObsceneGestures

used hot rod deluxe.....best selling amp in history,There is a reson for that
Quote by jj1565
blues jr used $300

if you play with a drummer ever then

classic 30 used $350 both USD

edit: obscene, not a fan of the tone, but good work anyway.

+1
Classic 30 would be perfect and goes rather cheap
*makes note to try grunge on a HRD*
A Delta Blues deserves mention, the jazz and blues could use some tremolo - plus you may find a couple surf songs, who knows. Same price as the C30 used, $350ish.
But certainly try a HRD and form your opinion. If you won't jam with a drummer often a Blues Jr is worth checking out. The fenders we mentioned will be brighter sounding than the peaveys, but the peaveys have a superior gain channel.