I need a versatile guitar for everything from jazz to high gain under 900 us$.

I'm currently saving up for a new guitar and I'm pretty nooby at choosing guitars. I dont mind sounding like ass at home (I play a behringer rig ffs), but its starting to get a little embarrising at gigs. Theres normally a good amp (4000 dollar fenders) for me to play, but my guitar's really cheap (it costed 100$:Sad: ).

The problem is I play everything from rock to metal (I like the earlier metal tone) to blues to punk to jazz to classical. Sure I only need a jazz/light rock tone for gigs, but I want something thats at least capable of sounding good at high distortion.

So far, I'm willing to spend anything under 1000 Aussie dollars (thats about 900 us) and I dont mind buying used guitars.

I was thinking about a second hand japanese or mexican (or maybe even an american) fender with a pickup change, what do you guys think? Any suggestions on which pickups? The only downside I see to fenders is that they seem a bit overpriced.
I like fender necks (they play easy for me). I've tried Ibanez's (dont really like the tone, but the necks feel nice) and epiphones (the necks feel slow, I sort of like the sound), but thats about it.

Right now I'll take any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

TLDR; need a versatile guitar for everything from jazz to high gain under 900 us$
Last edited by demonofthenight at Aug 31, 2008,
Maybe a HSS Strat, maybe you'd have to get a Vintage Modified Squier, but don't worry about it, they are good guitars. But a MIM or MIJ HSS Strat (but I haven't seen too many MIJ HSS ones) should be a nice choice.

EDIT: The MIJ shouldn't need a pickup change aswell. Unless you want a humbucker.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Aug 31, 2008,
I suggest a PRS SE Custom. $600 American new, so it should definitely be in your price range. And those things are VERY versatile. I used one before I had my Custom 24, and it was fantastic.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
fender lonestar strat
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Herman Li's signature Ibanez.
or any guitar with a H-S-H layout.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Hey, thanks guys. Alot of those guitars have humbuckers, I can use humbuckers for clean music right?
Quote by Lil Macker
Maybe a HSS Strat, maybe you'd have to get a Vintage Modified Squier, but don't worry about it, they are good guitars. But a MIM or MIJ HSS Strat (but I haven't seen too many MIJ HSS ones) should be a nice choice.

EDIT: The MIJ shouldn't need a pickup change aswell. Unless you want a humbucker.
I've heard bad things about squires. It's not all true, right?

And any suggestions on pickups?
Hey, how about an Epiphone Les Paul Custom with a pickup change?

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Quote by demonofthenight
Hey, thanks guys. Alot of those guitars have humbuckers, I can use humbuckers for clean music right?
I've heard bad things about squires. It's not all true, right?

And any suggestions on pickups?

Not those Squiers, they are really good, you can't go wrong with a high end one.

And you can use humbuckers for clean music, but single coils are better. That's why I'm saying the Strat, since it has two of them, and you can sort of get a humbucking type thing by having the neck and middle pickups on. I know it's not the best thing, but I doubt you'll use it that often.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Schecter C-1 Classic. Great cleans (SD Jazz) AND Great distortion (SD JB) . I play metal alot but if i'm tired of high gain I'll just switch to the neck pickup and go tot he clean channel and play random arpeggiated chords. it sounds GODLY both with extreme gain and no gain. I highly recommend it. It is around $US and has a five way switch with a coil split.
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

Squint your eyes to see clearly. Blur reality to make it real.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"It's not illegal if I don't"
"k, koo"

Imagine if life was like that.

Awesome