Does anyone know if there is a specific scale/mode Matt uses in this riff?
Wikipedia sez:
"rising triad motif to move through a distinctively harmonic minor scale"

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Not quite sure, but the movement from D-F-G is gorgeous in this context. Definateley harmonic minor sounding
The one legged chickens from outer space made me do it!
...I'd say chromatic

A, A#, B, C#, D, E, F, F#, G

thats 9 out of 12 notes... thats pretty chromatic. only thing closer is the augmented 5th scale and/or the bebop... harmonic minor has 7 notes.
I agree it has a harmonic minor sound but it isn't harmonic minor. It has a minor and major third in it for a start.
the way i think about it, the lick in the beginning is the harmonic minor scale, but starting a half step below the root
yeah, i've got gear too...
squier strat
squier tele
Ibanez rg4ex
Boss DS-1
Morely Bad Horsie Wah
Digitech Hot Head
Boss GE-7
Zoom G1X
Mesa Boogie 5:50 Express
Vox AD50vt
Quote by 12345abcd3
Harmonic minor. That riff is awesome.

Sorry, that wasn't 100% correct.

^It actually has 10 of the twelve notes, i think:

A, A#, B, C#, D, E, F, F#, G, G#

However, only three of these are not in the harmonic scale, so i still think the scale is still harmonic minor but with three accidentals. I don't think it's using the chromatic scale because it deffinitely has a minor tone to it, and very few songs are written with the chromatic scale.
Quote by ripbarney12
the way i think about it, the lick in the beginning is the harmonic minor scale, but starting a half step below the root

Good point.
yeah its in b harmonic minor starting on the raised 7th of the scale

although he used a melodic minor note, a raised 6th the g# (4th fret)

oh yeah and theres a note in there which you could say is a flattened 5th but its just a chromatic slide with no musical reference (the f note)