Read de title, tell my why you went straight to bass, or why you didn't .
first off, at risk of sounding cliche, searchbar.

secondly, no. small, overly showy instruments don't appeal to me.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I played Acoustic Guitar, got bored, went to bass and after a bit supplemented that with Electric Guitar.

I like bass because... I do, there dosn't need to be a reason for it really.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Someone seems to ask this question every few days.

I think it's pretty much irrelevant.
Quote by NKF176
Read de title, tell my why you went straight to bass, or why you didn't .

1. Under no circumstances is it ok to type the word "De".
2. I had a crack at guitar but wasn't very good so started learning drums, then my band asked me to learn bass so I did, then I used my bass skills to get a head start at guitar and now I can play quite a few instruments (but Bass is best).
i played guitar for a bit cause my dad insisted that i try guitar befor i played bass and i wanted to play bass in the first place
and same w/ everyone a head of me there
I have my 2 basses, and also play and own an acoustic, electric and lapsteel guitar
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Quote by aaciseric
1. Under no circumstances is it ok to type the word "De".

What if you're Spanish?

I started with bass, then bought a guitar so I could make music by myself.
I have a guitar, started with bass
sometimes play guitar
90% of my playing time is bass though.
Guitar feels to easy/light
bass feels perfect (5-string)
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I play both, it makes me a better musician than I would be if I didn't.

EDIT: I'm not also one of those that's like "oh noes, guitar feels more right" or "bass feels more right." They're two seperate instruments so I treat them as such, and I get different things out of them. It's fun to play the support role in a band, but i's also nice to strin g a few chrods together and sing a song. And do some acoustic shred.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Aug 31, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist

This exactly
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Started on acoustic guitar

it was suggested I play bass

Kept learning Guitar so I had a head start on the fretboard when I had enough money to buy a bass

3 years later... I dabble in acoustic teaching myself and also sing.

Bass is my main instrument, Voice is my second (just over two years of lessons to date), and I dabble in guitar, I could pull off Acoustic Rythmn or just Jam out some chords and sing solo.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by Deliriumbassist

EDIT: I'm not also one of those that's like "oh noes, guitar feels more right" or "bass feels more right." They're two seperate instruments so I treat them as such, and I get different things out of them. It's fun to play the support role in a band, but i's also nice to strin g a few chrods together and sing a song. And do some acoustic shred.

what's wrong with feeling more comfortable playing a bassguitar?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11

I don't really care. I'm comfortable with both.

EDIT: To elaborate: I never even said there was anything wrong with it. I was stating that I'm not someone who is more comfortable with one or the other.
Quote by Neo Evil11

Nothing at all

if you feel more comfortable playing either instrument/prefer playing either is what usually defines what you play

I'm assuming Delirium is just saying he finds it annoying when people say... "Oh no I wont play because it feels wrong" besides actually saying "I suck at guitar" or, "I'd rather play bass/piano/whatever"

EDIT:

Boy was I wrong....
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I don't really care. I'm comfortable with both.

EDIT: To elaborate: I never even said there was anything wrong with it. I was stating that I'm not someone who is more comfortable with one or the other.

your tone said enough :P
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I still play guitar. And piano. And sing.

I don't say that because I play one instrument, I can't play another. My composition skills improve because of piano playing. More instruments give you a greater capacity for all-round better musicianship in my opinion.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by nikkisixx666
i played guitar for a bit cause my dad insisted that i try guitar befor i played bass and i wanted to play bass in the first place

this
Quote by angus is god
maybe she passed out in the bathroom. You should have found her then had one of your friends yell "FINISH HER!" like from mortal combat and then jizz on her
i bought a guitar a while after i bought my bass because i thought i was hot ****, no room to improve at bass, and should start on a harder instrument. and then i played around with the guitar, and it improved my musical creativity and actual bass playing skill.

now of course i realize that i have a long way to go before i am actually good at bass. and a very very long way to go before i am competant with the guitar
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Quote by mosh_face
i bought a guitar a while after i bought my bass because i thought i was hot ****, no room to improve at bass, and should start on a harder instrument. and then i played around with the guitar, and it improved my musical creativity and actual bass playing skill.

now of course i realize that i have a long way to go before i am actually good at bass. and a very very long way to go before i am competant with the guitar

You're saying guitar's harder than bass?

My dad first got me a guitar, i played it (well tryed to) and i didn't like it much. I started getting bass lessons instead, but i didn't even have a bass. So i gave that up pretty quickly. Then about a year later i thought about bass and guitar, i just wanted to be a bit different to what everyone else is doing. So at this time i'm now 1 of 5 bassists at my school, and i find that better than being 1 of 500 guitarists.
i played guitar for like a year but i sucked and then my friend was like wanna start a band so i started playing bass. (although i had always wanted to play bass but my parents wanted me to start playing guitar)

and when i think about it i really have no idea why i want to play bass over guitar but its fun.
I started with guitar and decided that it wasnt somthing that interest me, so after I saw this beautiful surf green J-bass at a local music shop, I started to teach myself to play bass. I guess I never really liked bass until my taste in music imporved. I still play rhythm guitar thanks to composers like Thom Yorke and to be honest, I think that makes me a better musician.
You stole my Overture
I started playing Bass. Loved it. I started at a guitarist's house. He had an old bass lyin around, I picked it up, strummed the E-String. I was in love. I quickly bought my first and only Bass it's a surprisingly good for the price Jay Tursser something 400. I love it. Before I could start taking Bass lessons, i was forced to learn a little bit of guitar, (Parents funded and still do(under 18) my playing) so they bought me a Takamine Jasmine (great guitar) and I learned a bit of guitar and switched to Bass.
I play Bass mainly, and guitar secondary. they both help with my composition skills, and the main reason i started to play bass was the amazing bass lines in rush's song. so i guess you could say geddy lee got me into bass. and just for clarification, bass and guitar are equally difficult, but its how hard you make the instrument for yourself.
I played guitar for about ten years, owned five guitars, and became pretty good but i had always wanted the ground-shaking, earth-shattering tone of a bass. It's kinda like the scene at the end of the Italian Job where the guy puts a lady in front of his huge speakers, turns up the bass, and makes her clothes fly off from the sheer intensity of the sound. you just can't do that with a guitar. And also, now i can tell my guitarist that i have bigger "wood" than him. (not that i couldn't do that anyways)
Quote by blacksabbath8
So I had to take a massive dump, and I went in the bassment. So it's been down there for a while and the stench is terrible and i think it's seeping into the floor.

i play both and i compose with both i would consider myself a bassist foremost but i am developing some okay skills as far as guitar is concerned and both have their good points for some things and their bad points for some by playing both i can have all bases covered when composing. XD
I am me. Live with it.
I'm tons better than I ought to be due to normal guitar. I played bass for 4 years. I really struggled, even after years of piano and band. I totally dropped it for 12 years. 2.5 years ago I picked up normal guitar, I play rhythm at church. I started back up on the bass about 6 months ago on the basics since our bass player travels with his band and I needed to fill in. 3-4 months ago I started playing with a rock group.

I still suck at theory but I can accurately play Sweet Emotion, Walk This Way, Ramble On, most straightforward Rage Against The Machine songs, 4-5 chili peppers songs, can slap/pop, all kinds of stuff, dozens of cool songs. There's just no way I could have done that without regular guitar, I hear stuff so much differently now.
i played bass for about a year and a half (and still do) but have been recently getting into guitar. I've been playing guitar seriously for about a year.
I play guitar on and off and write songs occasionally on guitar. Can play a couple of songs for the hell of it (a couple of RATM songs and some emo stuff that was fun to play like the used) but its always been inferior to the 4 string motherfvcker.
I play both along with mandolin, dulcimer, and uke. . My problem is that I need more hours in the day to play everything I want to play.
cause im black and my band needed a bassiest. but i liked it more than guitar when i picked it up. but now i enjoy playing metal on guitar. but find some stuff too easy on guitar and i cant seem to find stuff that is hard cause of chords. thats why i like bass. its hard cause im left handed. slapping is a mofo..... but its still fun.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
i went straight to bass because the band i wanted to be in at the time only had a spot open at bass, now that i think about it i shouldve played guitar first, but i m happy playing the bass so im chill
i play both. i must say that i enjoy guitar more. but i still thoroughly enjoy bass. i had a bass first because a friend of mine played guitar, and he wanted to jam so it made sense for me to get a bass. but then several months later i got a guitar.
I played guitar for 15 years. I still play off and on, tho I don't currently own a 6-string. I just was always fascinated by the bass, and decided to give it a try. I am eyeing a sweet Squier Telecaster thinline tho, maybe to fool around on.

That said, the bass is a completely relevant instrument, theres no need to justify why you "settled" on bass.
uncle gave me an acoustic guitar
never played it cos I didn't want to
started electric at friends house
never bought one cos I was cheap
bought a bass and practice amp for $50 (what a deal)
started playing the acoustic too

bass helped me learn a lot more of the theory behind these instruments
now I enjoy playing both, but bass more (always have enjoyed bass)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by Deliriumbassist

yeah i agree. i play guitar as well to help me be a better musician. to be honest i like learning some guitar so wen im writtin i can write down notes that i can hear in my head. i prefer bass hands down but i do like the odd play on a guitar
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
i used to play only electric, but ended up in a band with two other lead guitarists and no bassist. I, being the worst at guitar, stepped aside, picked up my friend's dad's old bass, and started playing

one year on, and i don't regret it at all

i agree though, playing both does help if you write music, and playing lead helps build up speed if you want to play stuff on bass like Dream Theater
Been playing bass for about 3 years, the first year of playing bass my parents bought me an acoustic so at school I just play what is needed I guess which means im in like 5-6 bands playing bass and doing duo's singing acoustic songs. What guitar I pick up depends on what mood im in I suppose, whether it be bustin out some funk/punk/metal or just writing some nice acoustic tunes.......which reminds me I really should get around to putting one of my songs on my profile

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
I started off on electric for 8 months or so, then took up bass, and I've been bassing for almost 2 years now. I write and record my own stuff, minus lyrics, which you can check out on my UG page, but I kind of focus more on the guitar because my microphone can't record bass that well

I'm still a bassist more than anything, my rig is bass-oriented.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!