Hi UG!
I was thinking about starting to learn the bass as a second instrument, and I was thinking about this bass.
Is it worth the price, or are there better basses out there for the same price? I play mostly RHCP.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
How can you play RHCP, if you don't actually play bass yet, that dosn't make sense...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I play RHCP on guitar.
And considering Flea is my favourite bassist, I'm gonna learn alot of his basslines on bass too and I love his tone also. That's why I'm wondering if this bass is good for RHCP sounds.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
The Flea uses a Jazz bass quite a bit, I would go for it. Jazz work for pretty much everything everything.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Flea did use a Jazz bass for a while (as far as I remember) and that's a very good Bass.
as an aside, just because Frusciante is one of your influences doesn't mean Flea will be. that bas won't get the Flea sound as well, but I think it will do. try to find a sub stingray/sterling if you can.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
One thing you'll have to keep in mind, is that The Flea's bass lines are bat**** insanely hard, you might some problems if you try those off the bat.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Well I'm not gonna go on playing Mother's Milk right at the start. He does make some easy ones that still sounds great.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by ChemicalFire
One thing you'll have to keep in mind, is that The Flea's bass lines are bat**** insanely hard, you might some problems if you try those off the bat.

Hes had some pretty easy ones, some of his SA work was very simple and songs like Under The Bridge aren't that taxing, you should still work up to it though by learning some simpler songs until you're used to it. Also definately don't try anything from Mothers Milk, your hands may fall off.

Oh you beat me to the MM joke ^.
Anyways, I think I'll go with the Japan made Fender 62 reissue.
Thanks alot guys!
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Basswood Body... not the best...

Jazz bass will get you a decent sound for anything

but try to steer away from Basswood if possible

all my experience with it... are... tonal nightmares

but, if you arn't as picky as I am, should be a rather decent bass to start on
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by ZaccB
Basswood Body... not the best...

Jazz bass will get you a decent sound for anything

but try to steer away from Basswood if possible

all my experience with it... are... tonal nightmares

but, if you arn't as picky as I am, should be a rather decent bass to start on

Basswood is one of the best tonewoods if you get a good specimen. My bass is made of basswood, and it's very light, resonant and balanced.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Quote by diditfortehlulz
Basswood is one of the best tonewoods if you get a good specimen. My bass is made of basswood, and it's very light, resonant and balanced.

I'm a tone freak and I have no problem with basswood. it's a little too middy, but hey. you can't have it all. and it's easier to dial it out a little.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
^Well not yet. It seems like a very hard technique to learn, so it'll take a while, but eventually.
Oh and by the way. To me, it sounds like "basswood" should be the ultimate wood for a bass.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
i saw the auction was over

did you win it?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
A jazz bass is great for any type of playing. I like using my new jazz for RHCP but its just not the same as a humbucker.

If you like the tone of a humbucker you should look into a SUB Sterling or Stingray.

ughh late reply by me lol

Enjoy your new jazz, they are great basses. Take pictures when you get it, because we all love pictures.

My jazz gets a very close Flea sound (my GK helps) but my sterling just has a growl that the jazz can't get. If your new jazz is anything like my CIJ Geddy jazz you will how it feels. I suggest getting some DR Lo Rider strings. I have them on my jazz and sterling they last longer than Rotos and sound better for the styles I play.
Last edited by Miss G at Sep 2, 2008,
Quote by sonsie

did you win it?

Yeah, I just took "Buy It Now". Didn't really care about 30 bucks.
Quote by sonsie

did you win it?

Heh...I didn't even think about what pickups they were. I hope that I'll like single coils.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
hahahaha ok congratulations

btw do u have a bass amp to go with that?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
No. I'll buy a SanAmp DI box so I can hook it up to my brother's (who plays digital drums) PA if I'd like to play with him. I'll just use this bass for home practising so maybe I'll buy a small practise amp later, but it's not on my list. I'm just gonna sit unplugged and practise
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Last edited by Hultan at Sep 2, 2008,
ok well good luck with your bass playing (Y)
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all