Hey, in a band who are currently writing and recording our own music/learning covers, wondering how the hell do you get good gigs?
Quote by texico11
That's obvious.

You have crack. That'll get you right in there.

Good response
Quote by texico11
That's obvious.

You have crack. That'll get you right in there.

I actually hear that injecting speed balls into your nuts gets you huge paying gigs.
Quote by Seryaph
I actually hear that injecting speed balls into your nuts gets you huge paying gigs.

Ha

Well basically i just went around and got the numbers of people who owned venues and rang them up and asked if thy were having gigs soon and could my band play in it and then later on i asked if we could have a gig there some time when we got better. Hope that helps.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Well basically i just went around and got the numbers of people who owned venues and rang them up and asked if thy were having gigs soon and could my band play in it and then later on i asked if we could have a gig there some time when we got better. Hope that helps.

By venues do you mean small pubs/clubs or what?
Word of mouth, and luck.

I've been booked three times in the last four weeks at this one really swanky bar, because I happened to bump to the promoter at a different bar while I had my guitar with me. We got talking, he booked me for one gig, and I've been back twice since.

Also, get a GOOD QUALITY (I can't emphasise this enough) demo together, with two of your own tracks, and a well known cover. Emphasis on a well known cover, because it's something that a promoter/listener can instantly engage with when they recognise it. Start sending that out to pubs and bars and wait for some responses. Don't be disheartened if you don't get any gigs right off, make sure you ask for feedback/criticisms too, they're useful.
Well, it's really pretty obvious. Get to know people, especially ones who you think can help you with this. Send or better yet if possible, give demos to the arrangers/pub/club/whatever owners face to face and remember that just giving them the demo might not be enough, you have to talk to them and persuade, etc. Give 'em some ass too and you have better yet chances... kidding. Unless that's how you roll, lol.

There are probably some other secrets behind getting gigs too, but that's a start.
make sure the songs you write are good
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
Quote by david_safc
By venues do you mean small pubs/clubs or what?

Find out all the places in your town where local bands regularly play.
Find them and get their numbers. Or just go upto the place, speak to the managers and see if they've got any space in their venue where they could fit your band in.
You should be able to get like atleast 1 spot in 10-15 venues.
If not, just keep trying and you've really gotta play the persuasion game.
You've gotta have a good sounding demo and a decent reputation. Or if you're completely new, then you've really gotta convince them you can put of a great show. Look professional and act professional.

Then also keep any eye out for any competitions happeneing in which you can enroll. Or see if any of yer mates band or any band you vaguely know is looking for a supporting band n you can jump in.

Its all bout promotion and networking. You've really gotta work you ass at it!!
I know I can get gigs in most of the bars here in Sunderland because they're all **** holes basically I was wondering about moving up into bigger venues, like how does the process go?

So is just gigging a lot in the crap bars around here continuously the way to go?
Make contacts within other bands and ask them for supporting slots when they play bigger venues.

Just ask. Go into the pub/venue and ask for a supporting slot.
Quote by david_safc
I know I can get gigs in most of the bars here in Sunderland because they're all **** holes basically I was wondering about moving up into bigger venues, like how does the process go?

You just keep doing gigs. And building up your network.

Start with the crappy local venues first. Then keep looking for the bigger and better gig all the time. You've also gotta make sure you're sounding good and upto the standards to be able to play at bigger venues. You've really gotta put on a professional act.

And yeah, just as i mentioned, its networking. Getting to know more bands, doing gigs together with already established and fairly popular bands. Then you go on a tour to the other towns around yours and do gigs in venues around different towns. Gaining popularity.
If you manage to do it all right, soon you can make it upto supporting a major band in a major venue.

Like a couple of months ago one of this local band in my town (whom i actually had turned down to play guitar for cuz i didn't like the band's sound n wanted to do something of my own) ended up supporting Glassjaw when they came here.
Quote by af_the_fragile
You just keep doing gigs. And building up your network.

Start with the crappy local venues first. Then keep looking for the bigger and better gig all the time. You've also gotta make sure you're sounding good and upto the standards to be able to play at bigger venues. You've really gotta put on a professional act.

And yeah, just as i mentioned, its networking. Getting to know more bands, doing gigs together with already established and fairly popular bands. Then you go on a tour to the other towns around yours and do gigs in venues around different towns. Gaining popularity.
If you manage to do it all right, soon you can make it upto supporting a major band in a major venue.

Like a couple of months ago one of this local band in my town (whom i actually had turned down to play guitar for cuz i didn't like the band's sound n wanted to do something of my own) ended up supporting Glassjaw when they came here.

Ahh thats great, thanks for the advice man.
Well my friend has his own productions company where he can book shows and crap. So if you can find one of those people, befirend them, and ask if you can headline. Its important for a band to seem bigger than they are. Thats what the labels look for.
Email the pleaces you wanna play? thats what i do.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
One thing i'll say, stay weary of promoters.
They will help you out with gigs and all.
But if you're not careful, they can screw you over too. And it happens pretty damn often that bands don't end up getting paid for their gigs or its just not how the promoter described it to be and it can end up in a bad gig screwing up your reputation.

So just be really careful while dealing with promoters.
How would you make sure that the gigs aren't completely empty? Promote on Myspace/college/hand fliers out? Because surely the same people aren't going to keep coming to see the same thing week after week.
Quote by david_safc
How would you make sure that the gigs aren't completely empty? Promote on Myspace/college/hand fliers out? Because surely the same people aren't going to keep coming to see the same thing week after week.

Yup, by making sure your band brings along all of their friends and their friend's friends and their friends to the gig!!

Also hand fliers, posters, myspace bulletins etc.

You've just gotta get into the scene. Get to know other bands n the general people in the scene. Like there are always people who're in the local music scene and check out local gigs pretty regularly. You've just gotta aim at those people and attract them (and their friends) into liking your band and start coming to your gigs too.

And yeah, don't forget your friends too!!

Setting up a band is a really good way to rip off your friends!!
Quote by af_the_fragile
Yup, by making sure your band brings along all of their friends and their friend's friends and their friends to the gig!!

Also hand fliers, posters, myspace bulletins etc.

You've just gotta get into the scene. Get to know other bands n the general people in the scene. Like there are always people who're in the local music scene and check out local gigs pretty regularly. You've just gotta aim at those people and attract them (and their friends) into liking your band and start coming to your gigs too.

And yeah, don't forget your friends too!!

Setting up a band is a really good way to rip off your friends!!

haha Do you have to have some sort of permit to hand out fliers or stick them up in places? Anyway even if you do, **** it I'll hand them out anyway lol.
^Some places won't like it, but who give a crap.
Go on, stick them up where ever you feel like!!
Just make sure not to get caught!!

Music stores usually have boards to stick such stuff on. Those can be your prime targets.
Make sure the poster/flyer is colorful and eye catching.
Quote by af_the_fragile
^Some places won't like it, but who give a crap.
Go on, stick them up where ever you feel like!!
Just make sure not to get caught!!

Music stores usually have boards to stick such stuff on. Those can be your prime targets.
Make sure the poster/flyer is colorful and eye catching.

I'll go out and buy some bright pink paper then
Look for flyers around town of other bands playing at spots. Get the number of that venue and ask them if they are looking fot bands to play.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Quote by Fusanti_RHCP
the local minor club asks us to play once a month

but then again we have a 75+ draw

Your not modest at all.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke