Can anybody recommend any Artists that play mostly instrumental blues? I'm learning blues guitar and really want to hear as many styles of playing as I can.
I'd get Texas Flood by SRV. there are a lot of killer instrumentals on it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Try to find the Layla Sessions album.

It has a bunch of instrumental jams with Clapton and Duane Allman.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
isten to rude mood, lenny, and little wing by SRV
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Id Say that Buckethead has Alot Of Blues/Country Elements In Some Of His Songs, listen to some of his tracks off "Colma" and "Electric Tears"
Hide Away by Freddie King.
Ice Pick by Albert Collins.
Avalanche by Albert Collins.
And B. B. King's album "Spotlight on Lucille."
Last edited by Iceman 420 at Aug 31, 2008,
Quote by Horny-Egg
Id Say that Buckethead has Alot Of Blues/Country Elements In Some Of His Songs, listen to some of his tracks off "Colma" and "Electric Tears"

I'd say you're wrong.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horny-Egg

I'd say you're wrong.

why?
Quote by XGhacker
1) OMG THE LEAD SINGER OF IRON MAIDEN RAPES HIS SON!!!
Bruce Dick-in-son
Lot of good suggestions here. Buckethead is a little eclectic for me. I'm sure they have some blues riffs but most of what I heard was a little too modern. Not to say I didn't like them, I did.
Most people dont realize that Buckethead isnt all electric at all, if you listen to most of his stuff and go deep you will find some amazing acoustic blue pieces
Quote by XGhacker
1) OMG THE LEAD SINGER OF IRON MAIDEN RAPES HIS SON!!!
Bruce Dick-in-son
Quote by Horny-Egg
Most people dont realize that Buckethead isnt all electric at all, if you listen to most of his stuff and go deep you will find some amazing acoustic blue pieces

Nah he isn't blues.

There are a few great instrumentals by Freddie King such as Hideaway, The Stumble and The Supernatural. These were covered by John Mayall's Bluesbreakers (with EC and Peter Green on A Hard Road).
Albert Collins does a lot of instrumental work. "Frosty" was one of his most popular songs.

Hound Dog Taylor and the House Rockers play a lot of instrumental stuff. They have two outstanding guitar players. One of the things that I like about them is that they play a lot of simple blues rhythms.

Download "Snakebite" by Magic Slim. "Wham" by Lonnie Mack and covered by SRV. Jimi did an instrumental called "Country Blues".
Quote by Horny-Egg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horny-Egg

I'd say you're wrong.

why?

He's a shred guitarist, that's all he'll ever be and when you grow up and listen to real music you'll learn actually how unimpressive all the shredding is. It gets old and repetitive, and it's not blues.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Hound Dog Taylor has a bunch of instrumentals.

"Blue Guitar" is a classic. I think Earl Hooker has a version of it as well.

There's a few old delta blues tracks I have that are instrumentals, but cannot think of the names.

But Santana has some of the best instrumentals I've ever heard, specifically "Samba Pa Ti" "Europa (Earth's Cry and Heaven's Smile)" and "Blues for Salvador"
Quote by srvflood
He's a shred guitarist, that's all he'll ever be and when you grow up and listen to real music you'll learn actually how unimpressive all the shredding is. It gets old and repetitive, and it's not blues.

Which reminds me of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uWUYNUPa90

Can one of you fellow blues lovers please help me to pwn this n00b on the comments?
Quote by ze monsta
I just vomited. Goolz, you ruined my late breakfast.

Sorry .

I didn't mean to

But this will make you feel better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icLUJfD7fLo
Quote by ze monsta
Nah he isn't blues.

There are a few great instrumentals by Freddie King such as Hideaway, The Stumble and The Supernatural. These were covered by John Mayall's Bluesbreakers (with EC and Peter Green on A Hard Road).

sorry to be pedantic, but pete green wrote 'the supernatural'
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
look up songs from duke robillards guitar groove-a-rama lots of songs on that are instrumental
ex. memphis grind
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
I don't know if you ever listen to them, but The Allman Brothers (really considered Southern Rock) play a lot of old blues classics (particularly on their Filmore East album). They have some heavy blues influence you can tell in there other stuff too.

Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes do really good work playing with the band's current setup and have done a good job keeping the ABB tone. "One Way Out" is a good album.

Anyhow, they have some really great instrumental songs even if they are not considered blues.
Quote by imgooley
Which reminds me of this

Can one of you fellow blues lovers please help me to pwn this n00b on the comments?

Is that a lesson or just watching him...

EDIT: The arguement you had about with that guy about that Yngwie video is really entertaining.
Last edited by RounderIII at Sep 1, 2008,
Quote by ze monsta
You are correct sir.

Honest mistake.

and you sir, are a gentleman.

- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by imgooley
Which reminds me of this

Wow, that's quite hideous. I've thrown my two penneth in on the comments anyway.

Here's that Brunning Sunflower Blues Band song I was talking about. Peter Green on top form. I've been learning this by ear, it's fun to play.

http://www.jamiehunter.co.uk/Brunning_sunflow_blues_band-Uranus.mp3
Quote by j_hunter_hkr
Wow, that's quite hideous. I've thrown my two penneth in on the comments anyway.

Here's that Brunning Sunflower Blues Band song I was talking about. Peter Green on top form. I've been learning this by ear, it's fun to play.

http://www.jamiehunter.co.uk/Brunning_sunflow_blues_band-Uranus.mp3

thanks for that, i was not aware of pete green playing with that band. interesting.

i remember bob brunning playing bass with the very first fleetwood mac line up, i saw them play in a pub in wolverhampton. happy days!

- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
thanks for that, i was not aware of pete green playing with that band. interesting.

i remember bob brunning playing bass with the very first fleetwood mac line up, i saw them play in a pub in wolverhampton. happy days!

Wow! I'd have loved to have seen that!

Here's another one off Bob Brunning's website. This one has Peter playing and singing on it:

http://www.brunningonline.net/mp3/IfYouLetMeLoveYou.mp3