So, every time I come to the bandleading section of UG, I'm always suprised to find that almost every thread is about playing only covers at gigs. Whats the deal with this? It seems pointless to me, to only play other peoples music. Even if your only in a band for fun, not trying to get signed or make a living out of it, why not write your own material?

I mean, I love it when I'm watching a band play, and they whip out a gnarly cover of a song I like, but I've never been impressed by a cover band. I just think the talent it takes to play a set of 6 covers pales in comparison to play a set of 6 original songs, even if the original songs ****ing blow, at least the band wrote and practiced them.

So, if your in a band that plays original material, gimme a "**** Yeah!".

Or, if your in a band that only plays covers, "Quit being a ****ing tool and write your own material! No, I don't want to hear your band play ****ing smoke on the water!"
The gods you worship are Steel
At the altar of Rock N Roll you kneel
A slave who forever Rocks
Is chained in the Devil's locks
AND SLAIN BY THE BLOODY AXE I WHAIL!
i agree somewhat

but if you're a young band composed of 12-15 year olds and you're just starting out, it doesnt hurt to only do covers for a short time
Last edited by sprkidjar at Aug 31, 2008,
Quote by DeathMask
So, every time I come to the bandleading section of UG, I'm always suprised to find that almost every thread is about playing only covers at gigs. Whats the deal with this? It seems pointless to me, to only play other peoples music. Even if your only in a band for fun, not trying to get signed or make a living out of it, why not write your own material?

I mean, I love it when I'm watching a band play, and they whip out a gnarly cover of a song I like, but I've never been impressed by a cover band. I just think the talent it takes to play a set of 6 covers pales in comparison to play a set of 6 original songs, even if the original songs ****ing blow, at least the band wrote and practiced them.

So, if your in a band that plays original material, gimme a "**** Yeah!".

Or, if your in a band that only plays covers, "Quit being a ****ing tool and write your own material! No, I don't want to hear your band play ****ing smoke on the water!"

Wrong, a band is there to entertain a crowd.

Reported for being an ignorant tosser.
Guys like you give "Smoke On the Water" a bad reputation. The singular reason I heaven't learned that song is because I am convinced people would thing less of me. That's going to change; I am going to learn "Smoke on the Water" just piss you off!
Favorite Songs:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Kryptonite
One
Stairway to Heaven
I think playing covers is fine, and in some ways better than playing just your own stuff as the crowd will be more engaged if they know the material, but on the other hand, playing just covers is kinda pointless
Quote by Retro Rocker

+1

A normal music loving person loves a good cover more than a ****ty origonal.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Yeah this thought is wrong... People want to hear music they know and are familiar with... Why do you think artists release CD's before going on tour??? So the audience knows what to expect... But you are a bit right... If bands are creative enough to make a song, they can usually put in a song that is original. If I went to see a band and not know one song they did, even being a musician I would not like it...

From my own experience... I went to a show and Stone Sour was there. I had not hear 1 song they have done... I totally did not appreciate the music at all. Afterwards I listened to some of there stuff and liked it and wish i would have heard it before I went to see the show so I could have enjoyed it...
Quote by Retro Rocker

Reported for being an ignorant tosser.

You reported me for saying that I think bands that play only covers are pointless?

Can I report you for being such a faggot?

And the point of playing music may be to entertain the crowd, but it's more so about expressing yourself through the music that you create.

No band ever made a major impact on music by playing covers.
I agree.
Write your own music.
It's not that difficult and it's much more fun than.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by DeathMask
You reported me for saying that I think bands that play only covers are pointless?

And the point of playing music may be to entertain the crowd, but it's more so about expressing yourself through the music that you create.

Yeah, but they had to play covers to start with, Guns N Roses for instance started out by mixing Aerosmith, ACDC songs and all sorts of others with their own stuff and I think you'll find they did quite well for themselves, and also just because you play a cover doesn't mean you have to play it exactly like the original, you can still make it your own.
Quote by DeathMask

So, blues didn't have a major impact eh?

And I reported you for being so aggressive about it.
Have a wank then come back and talk about thing reasonably instead of throwing mindless insults around.
Quote by lewis_grey
Yeah, but they had to play covers to start with, Guns N Roses for instance started out by mixing Aerosmith, ACDC songs and all sorts of others with their own stuff and I think you'll find they did quite well for themselves, and also just because you play a cover doesn't mean you have to play it exactly like the original, you can still make it your own.

I don't have a problem with a band learning a few covers to get tight and learn how to play together. Thats just for starting out.

But, remember, Appetite for Destruction wasn't a ****in cover album.
I agree with TS so ****ing much it's not even funny.

I'm in two bands right now, one is a Progressive/Melodic Death Metal band, and the other is a more mainstream Rock band, and we've got these two gigs lined up, one at this huge party, and all we're ****ing doing is goddamn requests. I hate playing ****ing covers with a passion. Makes me so angry catering to stupid people's damn country songs.

****ing drunk ass rednecks can suck my dick. I know it's not smart, but IMHO, **** the crowd when they're a bunch of **** music loving tools. I'd quit the more mainstream band if I wasn't doing it mostly as a favor.

EDIT: Also, Retro Rocker is a ****ing faggot. I don't care if Steve Vai is your avatar... you defile his image, you ****!
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Last edited by Shining_Yrael at Aug 31, 2008,
Quote by DeathMask

I beg to differ with your final statement, I actually prefer the cover of
"Another Brick in the Wall" that Korn did rather than the original Floyd song.
Favorite Songs:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Kryptonite
One
Stairway to Heaven
The only major impact KoRn made on music is making a bunch of irresponsible white trash kids become even more irresponsible white trash pieces of ****.

Somebody liking your cover of a song isn't a major impact on anything.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by DeathMask
I don't have a problem with a band learning a few covers to get tight and learn how to play together. Thats just for starting out.

But, remember, Appetite for Destruction wasn't a ****in cover album.

Oh good, I thought you were completely writing off covers as the work of satan, but still, until you are a widely known band with a large fan base I think playing a few covers is fine, and also a lot of bands won't have enough good original material to fill an entire set.
whats wrong with covers? some people just want to have fun playing, just playing, not writing
my band plays only originals but covers are always fun to do
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
This thread had a good discussion idea, but immaturely delivered with some ridiculous post.

DeathMask, Shining_Yrael: Grow up.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??