I have a 1962 Fender Jaguar with original pick-ups and wiring running thru a 1988 Fender Champ 12 10 watt tube amp. The clean channel sounds great . I would like some suggestions to improve the overdrive channel. I want more of a metal sound instead of the mild distortion that it has now. Please suggest any effects or different speakers that will improve it . Thanks.
An actual ACTUAL '62 jag???? or the Re-issue (jap/usa), I demand pics , id reccomend a different guitar if you want metal, granted you can do anything with any guitar, but id reccomend youd use buckers if you mainly want a metal sound. But i seriously hate to see you do that to desicrate a jag with buckers.

I know that my jag doesnt really like metal too much. Other than when I just make it sound pissed off with a big muff.

Otherwise, invest in a new amp, maybe a roland cube 30 or something just to satisfy your needs for metal, or a new pedal to put between your guitar and amp, proco Turbo Rat, EHX Metal Muff etc., or a nice OD could be sued to push it, something like a tubescreamer of a Digitech Bad Monkey. But ersiously, you have such a beautifull and classy rig, I just dont think youll get metal from it.

How do you like the champ anyway? I was talking about that exact amp about an hour ago in the laney thread... Scary ****.
Last edited by beckyjc at Aug 31, 2008,
I wouldn't mess with it too much. You won't get metal out of a champ.
You could try a distortion pedal through the clean channel.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
One option is a Zvex box of metal or maybe one of the muffs but to be honest there's a reason you don't see metal bands using Fenders, they're really not made for it. You'll find it hard to get a decent metal sound out of it because it's just not voiced for it
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
My parents bought the guitar used for me when I was a kid around 1968. The number on the neck plate is 91494 if that helps. The sunburst finish was kind of beat up when I got it. I repainted it & changed the pick guard back in the 80's. I saved the original pick guard. Some time I would like to have it refinished back to the original sunburst. I like the Champ 12 for the clean channel. I bought the amp new back around 1988. It still sounds and works perfectly. I guess I'm trying to get that hard core metal sound that it's just not designed for. Thanks for the suggestions.
Quote by Metalripper00
My parents bought the guitar used for me when I was a kid around 1968. The number on the neck plate is 91494 if that helps. The sunburst finish was kind of beat up when I got it. I repainted it & changed the pick guard back in the 80's. I saved the original pick guard. Some time I would like to have it refinished back to the original sunburst. I like the Champ 12 for the clean channel. I bought the amp new back around 1988. It still sounds and works perfectly. I guess I'm trying to get that hard core metal sound that it's just not designed for. Thanks for the suggestions.

Soudns pretty tasty, shame you got it repainted, be worth a small fortune if you hadnt, even the old pickguard would proably get you at least £100, not that id ever rccomend you sold it, but beat up jags look nicee.

According to fender dating its 1963.

Im pretty freaking jealous. Wanna trade for my jag?

If anything look into another amp on the side if your only a part time metaller.
I've gotten pretty heavy sounds out of my Champ 12 with my EMG loaded Ibanez guitar and down tuning, but it doesn't sound as good as my 5150, even with the post gain at 1 and a crappy cab.