Page 1 of 2
Hello everyone! I am thinking of forming a band. I have been playing guitar for about a year... The band would be situated in Mansfield. My guitar teacher says he can find a drummer, and has already found a singer for me, but he likes Indie Music (U2, The Verve... and Radiohead, which I like) I have a friend who is a bassist, though he does not take lessons.

Should I wait for a singer who is more into my type of music... Muse, Rage Against The Machine, rock music really, or just get playing with a band?

Have you got any tips or advice?
Cheers
Well my band started like that, you and the other players should get jamming and playing together so that your used to each other and can improve the actually music.
Vocals can come later, just keep your options open
Quote by XGhacker
1) OMG THE LEAD SINGER OF IRON MAIDEN RAPES HIS SON!!!
Bruce Dick-in-son
its always good to play a few different styles, eventually you will play your style
Quote by Anthony1991
You could always learn to sing?

Oh dear :P This was my mother's response... I don't KNOW if I can sing though! The idea of singing is quite cool, but then I get ideas of starting singing and everyone being like, he's terrible, but we won't tell him... You know what I mean?
Just get together and jam,

thats what me and my mates do, the drummer plays a beat, I make up the rhythm and it it just carries on from there
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Take him on and see how things pan out. It's good to have a variety of genres in the band, especially when writing songs.

Btw, those bands you listed are not indie.
TRANSFORMICE

Muse and RATM have very different singing styles...

But besides that, just learn to sing, dude.

Quote by The Gore Child
Oh dear :P This was my mother's response... I don't KNOW if I can sing though! The idea of singing is quite cool, but then I get ideas of starting singing and everyone being like, he's terrible, but we won't tell him... You know what I mean?

Who cares what they think, man?
Think of Tom Delonge from Blink-182 and AVA. The man can't sing to save his life. And he's been in two famous bands.
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
yeah, just get together and jam for a bit. play stuff the singer wants, and he should sing some stuff the rest of yeah want, and jsut figure out what you as a band want to play and soundlike:-)
It would be advisable to just get together and have some fun.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Ha ha, getting together and jammin' sounds good! I think I'll invite this guy to come sing, and then maybe I can sing later? What do you do about that? Get singing lessons? I'd like to think I'm a decent guitar player, and most people say I've come on really well in just a year.

The guy I've got playing bass is into the same stuff as me, so no problem there. But this singer won't be problematic will he?
Meshing different styles together is the only way you'll come up with a unique sound. If all the musicians in a band are all influenced by the same things, then it'll sound the same as their influences

Which would probably work quite well if they were all influenced by a wide range of music...but otherwise, embrace diversity!
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
Quote by The Gore Child
Hello everyone! I am thinking of forming a band. I have been playing guitar for about a year... The band would be situated in Mansfield. My guitar teacher says he can find a drummer, and has already found a singer for me, but he likes Indie Music (U2, The Verve... and Radiohead, which I like) I have a friend who is a bassist, though he does not take lessons.

Should I wait for a singer who is more into my type of music... Muse, Rage Against The Machine, rock music really, or just get playing with a band?

Have you got any tips or advice?
Cheers

A singer into rage wont sing rage. Its rapping, not singing. And Muse are very hard to replicate vocally.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
Ha ha, yeah... when I was typing that I thought.. rapper, not singer. But you know what I mean, they're my musical interests. But I see what you mean with diversity being good.
In my band we have 5 members. We all sing.
Our bassist likes: Taking Back Sunday and other new pop-punk
Drummer likes: Third Eye Blind, Motion City Soundtrack, JimmyEatWorld
Keyboard player likes: The Get Up Kids, The Anniversary, Mae
The guitar player likes: Relient K, Bullet For My Valentine, Saosin
and I like: Circle Takes The Square, American Football, Straylight Run, Say Anything

It all comes from the same genre but they have totally different sounds, so it doesn't really matter who your influences are.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by Jackolas
**** it, the more influences the better. Good luck TS!

every thread I go, you already have been!

*sees all has been said and leaves*
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by shut_up_n00b
and I like: Circle Takes The Square, American Football, Straylight Run, Say Anything

It all comes from the same genre but they have totally different sounds, so it doesn't really matter who your influences are.

at least you have a keyboard player
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by ratmblink123
Muse and RATM have very different singing styles...

But besides that, just learn to sing, dude.

Who cares what they think, man?
Think of Tom Delonge from Blink-182 and AVA. The man can't sing to save his life. And he's been in two famous bands.

delonges been in 3 famous bands, u forgot boxcar racer
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Anyone can sing. It's always useful to have another singer in the band. My bass player never does, so i have to do it all the time and don't get to shred so often.

but yeah, the indie singers with silly accents are everywhere right now. you want to stand out. i know i wouldn't touch that ****.
Ever wonder what rock would have sounded like in 2010 if grunge hadn't made it cool to be stupid?

The Three Aces
On UG profiles - On Myspace

Please mark yourself as a fan if you like!
different styles mixed together makes for good music.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Is it hard to sing and play guitar? Or something you get used to?

Also, will we get payed money for playing gigs? I'm 14, and I could do with some cash! I'll get my guitar teacher to talk to the drummer and singer and ask them if they'd be interested, then we can meet up for a jam and do some covers and stuff.
you won't start seeing a profit from a band until you are a tight, good band with an actual fanbase. you might get paid, but as a band yet to form, you wont get paid much. also, it should be about the music not the dosh
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
Quote by CrowLord
you won't start seeing a profit from a band until you are a tight, good band with an actual fanbase. you might get paid, but as a band yet to form, you wont get paid much. also, it should be about the music not the dosh

Ha ha, yeah... I get you. I just thought I might as well get paid for something I love doing.
Quote by The Gore Child

Mate, contrary to popular belief, singing is 20% talent and 80% practice. Trust me, even if you aren't exactly matt bellamy, you're halfway there as long as you can sing in tune. you do develop your own style of singing in the end, but that comes later. If you need advice on technique, just google singing tips, you'll get a rough idea.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
I'd do it. The mix of styles could end up sounding pretty sick. Also, if you do decide to jam with him, it's not like you're in a legal contract.

My only pieces of advice however are this:
1. Make sure everyone else is as serious as you. Right now my band has a pretty bad dedication issue, and we aren't getting anything done.
2. Don't pick someone just cause they're your friends. They're chill people, but if they suck at music, don't bother haha.
Dude if the singer has a range from U2 to Radiohead thats pretty huge! He should be able to handle RATM & stuff like that to! Also no matter who you find to sing you are going to have to comparmise & play songs that they can sing, & also some songs they want to do so just play some U2 songs & **** like that as well as what you want to do! Also just because the bassist hasen't had any lessons doesn't mean he is goin to be no good, I tought myself both Guitar & bass & consider myself reasonable at both!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Yeah, the bassist, who is also my friend, is, I would say, incredible saying he is self taught. He can pick stuff up real fast.

Thanks for all your comments so far guys!
Got any tips about being in a band or how to get stuff set up?
Quote by StratoTele
I needed a vocalist so I used Microsoft Sam.

Fitter
Happier
More productive
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Hey everyone! Sorry to bring this post back from the dead... But I still have no band! :O It just didn't seem to materialize.... My guitar teacher is looking for a drummer for me, and the friend who plays bass is still up for playing. It's just the trouble of finding a singer and getting everything together...

You legends got any tips?
Quote by shut_up_n00b

Those are all emo-based bands....
Quote by The Gore Child

Don't worry about that. If you actually feel comfortable with the band, it won't matter. The easiest way is to sing a song and then go "wow I sound like **** don't I?" and then it's not as awkward for them because you've already admitted it. Or they will say "No, that was actually dead on note for note. You are now singer"
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
Mansfield... Texas?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
just take what you have and get going
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
Quote by The Gore Child
Hey everyone! Sorry to bring this post back from the dead... But I still have no band! :O It just didn't seem to materialize.... My guitar teacher is looking for a drummer for me, and the friend who plays bass is still up for playing. It's just the trouble of finding a singer and getting everything together...

You legends got any tips?

It isn't hard, dude. Go to some open mic night, wait til you find a guy who sits up there with a guitar and performs alone. Therefore, he is open. Only take him in if he's got skillz, though.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
if you play some of his stuff he likes he will most likely sing some of the stuff you like so your not just playing one type of music. that will be good playing on the streets or at some little gig some place
Quote by tancanada
He's from Arkansas. Of course he wants to eat it.

Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

Quote by ikitson
im drunk idc

( . Y . )
Page 1 of 2