Is there an tube amp with built in distortion? I use an MG100HDFX and i love the distortion on it but id much rather have a tube amp than a solid state. the only problem is i hate having to use pedals. so is there an amp out there thats a tube amp with built in distortion? or is that even possible?
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
Um, yes. Except, it's technically overdrive, really.

Budget?
Style?
Other gear?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
[all] tube amps have built in distortion

some have a seperate "drive" and "volume" control...and sometimes 2 channels (otherwise they're pretty reactive to dynamics, so just roll down your guitars volume and you get a nice clean)
others just have one main "gain" control...in which case you just turn it up loud = distortion
i play metal and was looking at the Marshall Kerry King but, as far as i could tell, the overdrive only had a control for the noise gate and mid boost. unless thats an addition to the overdrive channel.

im a noob with amps so this all could be retarded questions

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
Quote by Johansensan
i play metal and was looking at the Marshall Kerry King but, as far as i could tell, the overdrive only had a control for the noise gate and mid boost. unless thats an addition to the overdrive channel.

im a noob with amps so this all could be retarded questions

which kerry king signature? the MG10KK which is the same as what you have already (he said it himself!) or his signature JCM800?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Yes, these are all retarded questions.

Go look at some tube amps and you'll get your answers.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
the JCM800 is the one i was looking at

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Twiddling the gain knob will make the distortion go from none to quite a lot
Can be balanced out with volume too

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
but is there a way to switch from overdrive to clean (or clean to overdrive) without messing with the knobs? like with a footswitch?

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Quote by Johansensan
but is there a way to switch from overdrive to clean (or clean to overdrive) without messing with the knobs? like with a footswitch?

Yes, it's called more than one channel.

No offense, but I don't see how anyone who plays guitar and has ever owned a guitar amp for more than a few months doesn't know this. Maybe I'm just putting too much faith in humanity
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yes, it's called more than one channel.

No offense, but I don't see how anyone who plays guitar and has ever owned a guitar amp for more than a few months doesn't know this. Maybe I'm just putting too much faith in humanity

im used to there being seperate controls for each channel so seeing amps with just one set of knobs confuses me

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Quote by JaGi
A+ thread, would read again.

most definately.

TS, if you really like your amp, why change it?

peer pressure is bad, folks!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
In my opinion the Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier Solo has Incredible Distortion for any type of metal/rock. As soon as i get the money for one im buying it.
Fender 2006 70's Reissue Strat
ESP Custom Shop
Quote by xwearesinking
most definately.

TS, if you really like your amp, why change it?

peer pressure is bad, folks!

lol i LOVE my amp but im thinking for the far future when its unfixable or something

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Quote by Johansensan

Kerry King does not need a clean channel
Quote by Johansensan
im used to there being seperate controls for each channel so seeing amps with just one set of knobs confuses me

A lot of tube amps have separate controls for each channel. Those designed for metal and that sort of thing certainly will. Yes, some tube amps only have a few knobs, but those are the minority (well, in the amps I look at).
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
ive been lookin at alot of marshalls and you have like the jcm, with a simple set or you have the jvm with a million and 7 knobs. i like something inbetween like the MGs but on a tube

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Quote by Johansensan
ive been lookin at alot of marshalls and you have like the jcm, with a simple set or you have the jvm with a million and 7 knobs. i like something inbetween like the MGs but on a tube

look at the JCM800 2210 and 2205

those came with a clean channel with its on EQ section and reverb (and I think an effects loop too but I can't be bothered to check)
Quote by seljer
look at the JCM800 2210 and 2205

those came with a clean channel with its on EQ section and reverb (and I think an effects loop too but I can't be bothered to check)

sweet those look good. so in the fffaarrr farrr future ill hunt one down and get it

Quote by Lt. Shinysides