So today I sold my beloved RG but now I have to actually order the next guitar and having second thoughts of what I really want.

Coming from the RG I’m thinking of something a little less bulky and lighter such as the S series by Ibanez, the PRS Custom SE or the Jackson RR3 but I keep having second thoughts about each one and never actually make a full decision on what I want. I’ve tried them all and because I’ve used Ibanez for so long, the neck suited my style however because it had the locking neck, tuning down every now and again will probably get annoying like the Edge Pro did with the RG. I have about £350 - £400 to play around with and my main influence with guitaring is probably Petrucci. At the moment I’ve been working a lot with clean tone and heavy tone swopping so whatever I go for, I need it to sound nice both ways. I’m going to University in a month so need a guitar I can get my hands on pretty soon and will be good enough for gigging and recording with.
Last.fm

Ibanez S470
Orange Crush 30r
Zoom GFX-3
Last edited by Build An Army at Aug 31, 2008,
Quote by Build An Army
So today I sold my beloved RG but now I have to actually order the next guitar and having second thoughts of what I really want.

Coming from the RG I’m thinking of something a little less bulky and lighter such as the S series by Ibanez, the PRS Custom SE or the Jackson RR3 but I keep having second thoughts about each one and never actually make a full decision on what I want. I’ve tried them all and because I’ve used Ibanez for so long, the neck suited my style however because it had the locking neck, tuning down every now and again will probably get annoying like the Edge Pro did with the RG. I have about £350 - £400 to play around with and my main influence with guitaring is probably Petrucci. At the moment I’ve been working a lot with clean tone and heavy tone swopping so whatever I go for, I need it to sound nice both ways. I’m going to University in a month so need a guitar I can get my hands on pretty soon and will be good enough for gigging and recording with.

The RG has an Edge III
Look at the Washburn X50 Pro
Quote by Horlicks
The RG has an Edge III

My mistake, I meant to put the Edge III.
Il have a look at the Washburn tho.
Last.fm

Ibanez S470
Orange Crush 30r
Zoom GFX-3
S Series are amazing.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by DotSick
S Series are amazing.

i agree, this seems like the best choice.

its got a much better tremelo, but its still going to be a pain in the ass to tune down.
Quote by josephhkim
i agree, this seems like the best choice.

its got a much better tremelo, but its still going to be a pain in the ass to tune down.

Yeah I tried a few S series out and found the tremolo to be like... a Dream. But I would probably prefer a better tremolo than having a crap one that can tune down.

What S series though? In my price range and where from...
Last.fm

Ibanez S470
Orange Crush 30r
Zoom GFX-3
Quote by Horlicks
The RG has an Edge III

Alternatively, check out the Washburn X40PRO for the tremolo version. (Although it's got a different spec list... but a good spec!)
Yeah. Those Washburns are brilliant.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Schecters arent that easy to get hold of round here and Washburns, im not to keen on the head... Personal Opinion though probably.
Last.fm

Ibanez S470
Orange Crush 30r
Zoom GFX-3
Quote by Horlicks
The RG has an Edge III

Not all RGs have Edge III's....
The SZ series are hard tail, so down tuning won't be as ass busting.

My Rig ;D
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Thats a nice looking guitar.
What is it though?
Im probably being rather Naive in not noticing what it is but there you go...
Last.fm

Ibanez S470
Orange Crush 30r
Zoom GFX-3
Quote by Build An Army
Yeah I tried a few S series out and found the tremolo to be like... a Dream. But I would probably prefer a better tremolo than having a crap one that can tune down.

What S series though? In my price range and where from...

I have an S470. It's probably the best trem-equipped guitar for the price, and is a brilliant all-round instrument. You get 3 decent pickups, a mahogany body and the Wizard II neck for about £320 for a basic solid-colour, or up to £380 for a quilted-maple finish. Mine's plain black, but it plays like a dream. And I regularly downtune my ZR - I can drop the low E down to C and it'll stay in tune. It's a brilliant trem - once you've used a ZR, regular Floyds pale in comparison.

You can buy from GAK in the UK:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/products.php?s=&k=s470&x=0&y=0&m=Brands&c=Products&r=Price+Range

(The first two options)

Rob

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Yeah I was just about to order one a minute ago and then realised, I havent cashed the cheque from my other guitar yet haha so wouldnt get very far...

I rekon im gonna go for the S470 Black simply cos they look ace and like you said, they sound like a dream. Dropping would be nice and I wouldnt mind going down to C now and again so looks like I have a winner.

Thanks for your advice there. Very much appreciated
Last.fm

Ibanez S470
Orange Crush 30r
Zoom GFX-3
Quote by CHIEF-CHEESE

?

This man has good taste in guitars.

I'd recommend going for an ESP LTD. They have a huge range of body shapes, finishes, body woods (where as a lot of the Ibanez's are basswood, even in the higher models.)
Signatures are overrated.
I got my S470 of of craigslist haha. Too bad it's an '01 model and it doesn't have a ZR trem,but the TRS trem :[

Sound wise, it's very amazing and more comfortable than the RG series

My Rig ;D
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
It's an LTD MH-1000 with seymour duncan pickups and string thru body instead of the floyd. The quilted maple looks quite nice with the dark brown sunburst finish I must say.

Here's the specs from ESPs website:
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe-mh.html

# Set-Thru Neck
# 25.5” Scale
# Mahogany Body
# Quilted Maple Top
# Maple Neck
# Rosewood Fingerboard
# 42mm Earvana Compensated Nut
# Thin U Neck Contour
# 24 XJ Frets
# Black Nickel Hardware
# ESP Locking Tuners
# Tonepros Locking Bridge
# Seymour Duncan JB (B) /
59 (N) p.u.
# Finish: DBSB, STG
Quote by Steven Wright
If God dropped acid, would he see people?
Last edited by CHIEF-CHEESE at Aug 31, 2008,
Quote by CHIEF-CHEESE
It's an LTD MH-1000 with seymour duncan pickups and string thru body instead of the floyd. The quilted maple looks quite nice with the dark brown sunburst finish I must say.

I'd much prefer it with an OFR, but that's just me.
That LTD is pretty sexy though.
Quote by Moe.
I'd much prefer it with an OFR, but that's just me.
That LTD is pretty sexy though.

I have an M-1000 with an OFR and it's good for what it is but I've decided I probably won't get another guitar with one, TOM for me.
Quote by Steven Wright
Quote by CHIEF-CHEESE
I have an M-1000 with an OFR and it's good for what it is but I've decided I probably won't get another guitar with one, TOM for me.

I was actually planning on picking up an M-1000. Would you rather have that over a KH-602?
So you would rather go with an ESP than the S470?
Do they have the same qualities or better in clean and heavy tones?
Also the ESP M-1000 is alittle out my price range, trying to keep it around £400 if I can.
Last.fm

Ibanez S470
Orange Crush 30r
Zoom GFX-3
I like the flamed maple see through black finish a alot, it looks dead sexy in all kinds of lighting. My M-1000 is also an '05 before they changed the specs to make it basically the same as the KH-602. It has a maple body, 3 piece maple neck thru, and flamed maple top, so it's pretty damn heavy. I guess it depends on how big of a metallica fan you are.
Quote by Steven Wright
Quote by Build An Army
So you would rather go with an ESP than the S470?
Do they have the same qualities or better in clean and heavy tones?
Also the ESP M-1000 is alittle out my price range, trying to keep it around £400 if I can.

If you can live without the floyd I'd recommend the MH-400NT then.

Has basically the same specs as the MH-1000 I posted above but for about $300-400 cheaper. It comes loaded with the EMG 81/85 combo which Zakk Wylde uses, so that should tell you how they sound with distorted tones. On a clean setting they sound decent enough but if you're picky in this department this may be a reason for you to swap them out for something else.
Quote by Steven Wright
That looks like such a sweet guitar.
Wish I could afford it though =(

What about the MH-250 NT?
Last.fm

Ibanez S470
Orange Crush 30r
Zoom GFX-3
I'm not really sure how much 300 pounds is in dollars but I'm guessing around $375? Anything below the 400 series with LTD gets pretty bad in terms of quality from what everybody says. I've been keeping my eye on this pretty sweet deal on musiciansfriend for the last couple days.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-G400-with-EMG-8185?sku=519397

Great specs at that price, if I wasn't saving for recording gear I'd snag it.
Quote by Steven Wright
Hmm not bad actually but im not a big fan of the SG shape. I think im gonna go for the S470 simply cos I trust the brand, I know the neck and its not to bad at £325 odd.
Last.fm

Ibanez S470
Orange Crush 30r
Zoom GFX-3
As far as what you guys were saying about tuning down being a pain i have a suggestion. I have an Ibanez RG5EX1 and it was a MAJOR pain to tune down, if not impossible. I added a Tremol-No though, and it was amazing.

They aren't cheap (mine was about $70 after shipping), but it only takes about 20-30 minutes to install, and once you are done u can switch your guitar to full-floating, dive only (for tuning down) and hardtail (for tuning down and incredible sustain).

If you have any questions just lemme know.
Quote by StiltonCheese
Not all RGs have Edge III's....

No shit
His sig says Ibanez RG350
Quote by Horlicks
No shit
His sig says Ibanez RG350

Haha yerrr, well I actually need to change that seems though I no longer have it =(
Just about to order my new guitar, think I am going to go with the S470 in Black. Seen some pics and videos and looks and sounds awesome. Just what im looking for. I still think tunning down will be a bit of a bugger but atleast with the ZR is wont be as tedious as the Edge III.
Last.fm

Ibanez S470
Orange Crush 30r
Zoom GFX-3
Quote by CHIEF-CHEESE

?

the man is right, you should check out some esp ltd horizon series guitars.
horizon > any other super strat