just wondering if there is enough to just play scales if i want to improve my speed? Like, playing them from slow to fast and from fast to slow. I don't have much time for practice every day because of school and **** and i like to play some songs now and then so it would be fine to know if there are any point in my scale routine...
hmmm depends... you should really learn all the modes aswell cuz then you can go across the neck and you have more space to shred haha
hmmm.... i have no idea what to put here...
For me, the speed for playing just comes from practice. If its a song i know how to play i can speed it up because my fingers just hit were there suppost to go. But if i play or find a new song i cant start off all fast like i could before on a diffrent song. So if scales are something you know well (witch you should) then doing them fast would just show that you know them well. In the long term your probly better off doing song riffs because playing anything will make you better and faster at guitar.
It can improve your speed but only up and down (6th string to 1st). And you're talking about using the scale patterns to improve speed, right?

Actually I have some doubts about something related with the topic: I always wondered if the patterns are really really necessary (even for improvising and stuff)... I just know the notes each scale has, the intervals and the way it sounds. When I'm improvising, I'm aware of the notes I'm playing (to be in the key I want, of course) and I just play and use my ear and interval knowledge. Do you guys think it's bad for me to do this? Knowing the patters makes any difference (or control) to what I'm playing?
Quote by Stian16
just wondering if there is enough to just play scales if i want to improve my speed? Like, playing them from slow to fast and from fast to slow. I don't have much time for practice every day because of school and **** and i like to play some songs now and then so it would be fine to know if there are any point in my scale routine...

There's little point to it really - practicing scales just makes you fast at playing scales. They're good warmups and also a good physical workout if you want to work on that aspect of your playing but in practical terms they offer very little. If you have limited practice time then it's far more effective to practice things that are going to have some use when you're playing. Scales aren't meant to be played, they're meant to be understood, analysed and ultimately used to create something new and interesting...they're musical but they aren't music.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Whether or not you are playing scales, you should be using a metronome. That will help your speed and accuracy. I think that's a good place to start.