i just ordered my Fender Standard Jazz Bass in Brown Sunburst and i sooo happy and i cant wait

Plus i can ditch my hated, ****ty Epi goth tbird
nice. MIM, right? a gorgeous instrument, especially when compared to the t-bird.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
i am sry to get off your blissful topic... but what is every one's obsession with fenders? i realize that everyone and their mums play one, and that almost every rock/punk/emo/screamo/ bassist ( and their mum's) own like 15 of em, but without that, would they be obsessed over as much?
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Quote by aceofbass131
i am sry to get off your blissful topic... but what is every one's obsession with fenders? i realize that everyone and their mums play one, and that almost every rock/punk/emo/screamo/ bassist ( and their mum's) own like 15 of em, but without that, would they be obsessed over as much?

Alot of people like them including me they also set the standard for many other basses and i bet you cant even resist a jazz neck
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by aceofbass131
/
they have a classic tone. the big reason is you can sound like your fave player. you like JPJ? copy his tone, original Acoustic amp, and a j-bass. then, because everyone used P-s and J's in the olden days- that sound fits everywhere, because al modern bass players and music developed from that. why do you think you never really see many big classical orchestras using them? they don't fit that music. they don't use any electrics, but that's besides the point.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

There's a reason lots of people use Fenders. They just sound good and often provide the tone that most people want to achieve.
I will give you a piece of my mind, if you will indulge me. I don't follow hype, nor do I think that bandwagons (pun) are good for music. I never want an ampeg, jazz necks are too thin, and the thought of selling my soul to either of the aforementioned companies gives me such a spinal pain that I think I am seizing up. Now, I understand the idolization of artists and accompanying tones, but what about yours? What do you sound like? Not who, but what? If some one asks you that, do you spit out an artist or do you say "Let me get my bass, I will show you?" That means you no longer hold your tone or your music to some one else, but it is yours.
Duck

My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Quote by aceofbass131
I will give you a piece of my mind, if you will indulge me. I don't follow hype, nor do I think that bandwagons (pun) are good for music. I never want an ampeg, jazz necks are too thin, and the thought of selling my soul to either of the aforementioned companies gives me such a spinal pain that I think I am seizing up. Now, I understand the idolization of artists and accompanying tones, but what about yours? What do you sound like? Not who, but what? If some one asks you that, do you spit out an artist or do you say "Let me get my bass, I will show you?" That means you no longer hold your tone or your music to some one else, but it is yours.

that is true to an extent, but many people like to use what they know they like to sound new. for example, jaco. he used the j-bass acoustic combo too. but he defretted it, and played over the soloed bridge pickup. he sounded completely different too. you would not be selling your soul. you would be blending in, fitting in, trying to sound right for what you do. it's safer if you know what you're going to be playing. right?

but, I like to make my own tone, take in ideas, and use those to make my sound.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

But why be safe? do you think that half of the artist we listen to and fond over, got to where they are be being safe?
Duck

My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Quote by aceofbass131
But why be safe? do you think that half of the artist we listen to and fond over, got to where they are be being safe?

because half of them use Fender, yes.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

If you don't want a Fender then by all means don't buy one. There are thousands of people out there that can make you a custom guitar if your heart desired. So don't go ragging because someone likes a Fender.

For the OP, congrats. Post some mp3's so we can hear what you sound like with it.
Wow, you really didn't see my point. Maybe you should remove the sunglasses off of your little buddy there, lol. Fender makes good stuff (kill me now, Stuart Spector), but all it amounts to be is average. Boilerplate, mundane, Joe Schmo, Captain Bland's monotonous adventure. Do you like having to be forced into the back of the stage, sitting right next to your "Acoustic" amp, with your MIM Fender Jazz, just barely audible to the tone junkies in the audiance? Do you want to blend with the mix or cut through it? Are you a bassist or bass guitarist? Or do you just play bass? Shame on you for all the times I hear, "make it less busy" or "that was good, but could you just play this."
Duck

My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
What the hell is your point? Just cos you're another Spector/Schecter fanboy that doesnt want to see someone holding something more classic instead of something more contemporary. And just because Fender's have been around for a long time does that really make them dull? And if you hate Fenders SO much, do you think you would be playing bass if they never existed?

On topic- Congrats, can we have pics when you get it
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by aceofbass131
Wow, you really didn't see my point. Maybe you should remove the sunglasses off of your little buddy there, lol. Fender makes good stuff (kill me now, Stuart Spector), but all it amounts to be is average. Boilerplate, mundane, Joe Schmo, Captain Bland's monotonous adventure. Do you like having to be forced into the back of the stage, sitting right next to your "Acoustic" amp, with your MIM Fender Jazz, just barely audible to the tone junkies in the audiance? Do you want to blend with the mix or cut through it? Are you a bassist or bass guitarist? Or do you just play bass? Shame on you for all the times I hear, "make it less busy" or "that was good, but could you just play this."
You're kind of sounding like a jerk, man. :\

The underlined portion is exceptionally condescending and rude. Try to be a little kinder please?

Then again, maybe I'm misinterpreting you. Bleh.

As for the TS, congrats to you. MIM Fenders are nice basses. I have one as well, though it's not a standard. Have fun with it.

Any chance we can get pics?
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

I'm the busiest little bass player you've ever heard. I punch from hell, solo like Pastorius, and know my crap. don't tell me because I'm smart enough to make a new sound with old gear that I'm a roots playing crackhead.

because I don't play roots.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

hey, i never said I was trying to be nice, but I don't think I was rude to the TS. I was just questioning the general girlish obsession to fenders that every bassist has. I dont get, and I never will. BTW, Schectors suck my big bass balls. I will give fender that, they are better than Schectors. Fender = adequacy, while Schector dreams of it.
Duck

My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
you dream of learning to spell Schecter.

now, shut up and let the adults compliment this kid.

sorry TS, he's not coming back here.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by aceofbass131
hey, i never said I was trying to be nice, but I don't think I was rude to the TS. I was just questioning the general girlish obsession to fenders that every bassist has. I dont get, and I never will. BTW, Schectors suck my big bass balls. I will give fender that, they are better than Schectors. Fender = adequacy, while Schector dreams of it.

People play Fenders because they make good basses. Thats it. End of. Zippety Zip.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by aceofbass131

Damn you're an idiot. Why can't you just accept that people like Fender?
Member of Australia FTW Club !

BASS RIG BUDGET $245 / $4900

Quote by UG
thank you zackR .
Quote by aceofbass131

so wait, what bass do you play?

and jst because someone gets the tone they want from a fender, doesnt mean the name should stop them
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I play Warwick, Spector, anything that lets other bassists know that I care about my tone, and didn't just settle for this so-called "standard." I have a warwick $$ 5-string, a Thumb 4-string and used to own a Spector legend 4. And even that bass sounded better than the USA or Highway Fenders i tried. Plus, I like my necks thick, really thick. It feels more like a bass, not a toy.
Duck

My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
ok well lets just leave it at that then
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by aceofbass131
I play Warwick, Spector, anything that lets other bassists know that I care about my tone, and didn't just settle for this so-called "standard." I have a warwick $$ 5-string, a Thumb 4-string and used to own a Spector legend 4. And even that bass sounded better than the USA or Highway Fenders i tried. Plus, I like my necks thick, really thick. It feels more like a bass, not a toy.

Where the hell do you get off buddy....
So your immediately making the assumption that anyone using a fender bass does not care about their tone. Thats a really really slack generalisation. I understand that you are in your own right to have an opinion, but calling a USA fender a toy... i mean come on. People have crafted ledgendary tones from a USA Jazz and P bass. Just look at jaco and the ox.

Just because something isnt broke, dont mean you need to fix it... oh and you really need an attitude adjustment to my friend.

oh and sorry TS, but good job on grabing a MIM fender, it should serve you well for many years to come
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
helo, im TS and i bought a J-bass because I play JAZZ and thats the sound that fits best into a jazz/swing band

so shove you anti- mainstream guitar/bass company bullcrap back where it came from......YOUR @$$

EDIT: thanks to the humanity and everyone else for putting the assholes in their place
Last edited by bluesdashrock at Sep 1, 2008,
Quote by aceofbass131
zip

Zip yourself. Arguing is one thing, trolling another. Warned.

Closing thread....