Hello there,
I come to you, UG Bass Forum, perplexed and smiling. I'm caving in to my GAS, and I love it. Allow me to explain my situation to you.

I've been playing electric bass for (coming up to) 6 years now, and I'm actually getting pretty good. I'm starting my first year of music college on September 3rd, and I've won a ton of playing awards on the way here. I feel confident that I am at least a decent bass player, and that I should make my equipment reflect that.
I have lots of basses, but no really nice basses. My main bass is a Fender Geddy which I altered a bit (different p/ups, took off the pickguard [which looks hot], among other little things). I love this bass to death, and I will not part with it.
Now, I also have a Musicman Stingray which I got used a couple years ago, but to be honest, it's not the kind of tone I love! I know some people here will think that's blasphemy, but hey, it's my personal opinion. It will be sold/traded in.
I also have a Musicman SUB 5 which I've outgrown, for the same reasons as the Stingray. I will be selling/trading it in as well.
And don't worry, I have field tested both these basses plenty, and used them on tons of gigs, I'm not just some kid who gets tired of equipment after 4 months just because I have A.D.D.

I have decided that I am going to buy a nice 5 string, since my Geddy will serve as my main 4 string. I have narrowed it down to my exact bass that I love, and have always loved.
A Spector Euro 5 LX
Now, UG Bass Forum, I need your help.
Help me pick a finish

I'm deciding between the Spalted Maple

The Natural Oil

and the Zebrawood

(keep in mind that those aren't all the Euro 5, they're just examples of the finishes)

I appreciate your opinions!

Thanks again
1st ever MOD challenge winner
Rush Club Member #5
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
Member #21 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join
zebrawood, unless you can find flamed spalted maple, rare, but sexy.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Just remember that they are different woods as well, so think of how they will affect your tone
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by smb
I wouldn't buy any of them, and I'm not bothered what colour you go for.

Thanks for that insight, I'm so glad you posted this, it has helped so much.

Quote by ScottB.
Just remember that they are different woods as well, so think of how they will affect your tone

I'm totally aware of that as well, the two maples I'm kind of leaning towards as I lovveee the tone of maple tops, but I want to give the zebrawood a shot just to see what it sounds like
Rush Club Member #5
Quote by TomD03

I'm totally aware of that as well, the two maples I'm kind of leaning towards as I lovveee the tone of maple tops, but I want to give the zebrawood a shot just to see what it sounds like

Yeah, I'm not really sure what kind of sound you get from Zebrawood. My advice is to try them out and see what you like instead of just going on looks.
And also, once you've found out what you want , try to pick one out in the store and buy that one, because if you get one from the internet you could get one with a not so interesting cap.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by TomD03
You're most welcome. It must be difficult being unable to make up your own mind.

If you're really not bothered, try tossing a coin.
Quote by smb
You're most welcome. It must be difficult being unable to make up your own mind.

ZING!

I'd keep the Stingray if I were you, but if I had to choose from the given options, I'd go with the spalted one.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Quote by diditfortehlulz

I'd keep the Stingray if I were you, but if I had to choose from the given options, I'd go with the spalted one.

I'm definitely parting with the Stingray, as I said, I'm not fond of the tone - no matter how I alter it. The single pickup isn't diverse enough for me.

Quote by smb

A) I said I wanted opinions, not to make a decision for me.
B) Why would I toss a coin on a investment that's over two thousand dollars?
C) Please don't even bother posting if you aren't even contributing, it's wasting my time
Rush Club Member #5
Quote by ScottB.

IME, with the pre-amp in a Spector Euro, the wood won't make that much difference.

TS, I think that Zebrawood looks amazing on Spectors, look at the Spector club thread on Talk Bass and you'll see what I mean.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
i say spalted, i think it looks the best
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Quote by fleajr_1412
IME, with the pre-amp in a Spector Euro, the wood won't make that much difference.

BS.

Listen to Warwick Corvettes with preamps, but different body woods. The difference is massive.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
BS.

Listen to Warwick Corvettes with preamps, but different body woods. The difference is massive.

Yeah, but those are Warwicks.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Zebrawood looks pretty sexy
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by gm jack
BS.

While you're here, what's the tonal difference between the ash and bubinga corvettes?
Quote by guitarhero_764

ash- punchier, better treble
bubinga-warmer, stronger lows.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
ash- punchier, better treble
bubinga-warmer, stronger lows.

thanks
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by ScottB.
thanks

anything fer ol Scotty.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I like the zebrawood, the finish looks similar to the Aria Pro II super-basses.
...and he floated down the river on a raft with a black guy!
Quote by ScottB.
thanks

This may sound gibberish, but I put it like this:

Ash Corvette - Fender-er

Bubinga Corvette - Warwick-er

It'll make sense when you go out and do a lot of playtesting.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..