Hi there.

New to this Forum, but from what I have seen, it has a good vibe.

I am new to both guitars and tarting them up, so the extent of my knowledge is limited to what I have gleaned from many hours of Internet trawling!

So, to the point.

I have recently acquired a Yamaha Pacifica 112 Natural. I was looking for a Natural one, so I could assess the quality of the wood.
I was after a Pacifica, in particular, because I had heard that it has a great neck and a good body.
My thought was, that assuming these two things are right, everything else can be changed.

I have a few questions and I tend to be quite creative with words, so this may lead to a lengthy post, I do apologise if that is a problem!

OK, so the plan is:

Figured Maple top (flame or quilt)
Blue stain and lacquer
No Pick Guard
New Trem
Possibly new Tuners
Inset cavity covers with purfling/binding
New jack socket, inlet.
Headstock veneer
Body binding
Learn how to play it!

So, if I want a Maple top, will a 1.5mm Veneer bend to fit the underarm contour?
I have seen the various methods for doing this, I think weighted bags of sand is the best, but will the 1.5 bend without snapping?

No pick guard, means filling the current routed cavities fro the Pots and switches etc, and then opening up the back.
Best method for that?

I intend to go for a Wilkinson/Gotoh Trem, either VS100 or VS300.
The one on there at the moment, must have been fitted wrong in the factory, as my strings slope off to one side of the neck.
It looks like it has been fitted about an 8th of an inch to the left and also a little too close to the neck.

Binding. I would really love to bind the body and until recently, I thought this may be a problem due to the underarm contour, but I have seen a manufacturer that now offers it, so how do they do it?
Is it a case of steam bending the binding to the contour?

Pickups. Well, I have noticed that they seem to have used F Spaced pickups in all three positions, which is crap. Especially with my off strings, because my High E, misses the pole by a country mile on the neck pickup!

As I am in the UK, I was thinking about Swineshead Pickups, but not sure what to go for.
I have an eclectic taste in music, from Nirvana, to various Indie, Classics, Blues all sorts, so any opinions on combinations that will give me a usable sound would be good.

Any help or opinions will be most appreciated.

Many thanks.

Skeet.
Last edited by Skeet UK at Aug 31, 2008,
Well for pickups all I can recommend is custom ones buy some guys here at UG. Alsso check out www.projectguitar.com for the veneer question, I think they have a tutorial for veneer application. Also, I believe plastic binding is relatively flexible, I think you can just bend it.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Cheers for that.

That Veneer tutorial is one that I have seen.

What are these custom pickups you mentioned?
CorduroyEW has a website and an established business, RockMonkey Guitars. Also Nuthinbuttruble does too.

I can't remember his exact name, but he's my friend on my profile, so go from there lol.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
I've got a Pacifica 112 natural I got off eBay a while ago. Thing is, it was covered in stickers and had been drawn all over with permanent marker. I was considering going down the same route as you, completely customising it. Will you posting pics as you go along? I'd be interested in following your progress.

Cheers.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350M
Ibanez JS100
Fender Strat

Amp:
Fender Blues Jr
Fender Champion 600
Washburn Southside

Effects:
POD HD300
Marshall Guv'Nor
Big Muff
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer PH9
Cry Baby Wah
your strings slop off the side of your fingerboard because your neck pocket is probably crooked/****ed up. try giving your neck a good whack in the direction of the strings favor. not enough to break anything, just a nice firm tug on the neck, near the body, not at he headstock.
Sounds like an awesome idea, my pacifica was my first guitar, im still using it, but the only things ive done to it is thrash the living hell out of it, cover it in stickers, painted the pick guard, tore out the internals and put a Emg 81 in it Best thing i ever did.
Show us some pics as you go along!
can you show us a pic of the guitar of how it is now?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
will you need to fill the whole cavity? wont the top cover it? (thinly)
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by LP Addict
your strings slop off the side of your fingerboard because your neck pocket is probably crooked/****ed up. try giving your neck a good whack in the direction of the strings favor. not enough to break anything, just a nice firm tug on the neck, near the body, not at he headstock.

From what I understand, the build quality of Pacifica's is very good. I imagine that the
body etc are machined by CNC Mill, which wouldn't tend to make a mistake.

I think it is Human error. Too many things point at it. For example, when you flip it over, the back plate has holes in it for stringing through the sustain block.

These do not line up with the holes in the block. In fact, they are out by just the same amount as the bridge appears to be.

I think the guy who assembled it, was just having a bad day.

Also, I am not the type to give anything a good whack, unless it deserves it!

I will examine the neck to body fit, when I come to disassemble it.

Jemstar555 Yes, will certainly be posting pics as this would help others like yourself, as well as convey any problems I may have. Also, so everyone can see how (hopefully) awesome it will look!

Rancidryan Yeah, will try and get some pics up. Apart from the whole, unaligned bridge and F spaced pickups throughout, I'm pretty stoked about the guitar. Itis mint. It still has the protective film over the pick guard!
Can we do straight links from Photobucket on here?

Deep*Kick I definitely think it needs to be filled then routed. Perhaps if I used a 1.5mm veneer it may be ok, but 0.7 will be so easy to knock a hole through.
I will use some Titebond or something to glue a suitable blank in, route out for the pickups, get the whole thing right, then apply the veneer.

I really want to hear from anyone who can tell me about binding the body, with the underarm contour. I assume we have some resident Luthier types on here?

Oh and I don't seem to get email notifications...any ideas?

Cheers peeps!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Skeetmaster/Pacifica.jpg

As it was in the Ebay add. Seriously, with new strings on now, there isn't a mark on it, the Maple is all clean, everything.

Here is an example of the kind of paint I like to do. May do this for the back of the body.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Skeetmaster/Bluemarble.jpg
Last edited by Skeet UK at Sep 2, 2008,
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Can anyone help with filling the cavities, binding the underarm contour or the bend ability of a 1.5mm veneer?

Cheers
trans blue rifle stock...nice...

dont fill the cavities, its a pain and youll only end up rerouting 'em anyway...
ive never heard of binding on a contour, idk if u can even do it
cant help ya wih the veneer, sorry...

EDIT: use the veneer to cover the cavity, then open it up from the back.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Last edited by AngusJimiKeith at Sep 4, 2008,
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
trans blue rifle stock...nice...

dont fill the cavities, its a pain and youll only end up rerouting 'em anyway...
ive never heard of binding on a contour, idk if u can even do it
cant help ya wih the veneer, sorry...

EDIT: use the veneer to cover the cavity, then open it up from the back.

Yeah, not actually one of mine, but I have done a few like that. That one is black base, with White/Silver Marblizer and a Blue Kandy over that.

The trouble with the Pacifica (from what I understand), is that the pickup cavity is "pool" routed, so its a big rectangular cavity, which would be most unattractive with the veneer. There is also the cavity for the Pots etc.

Neither of these could be safely covered by the Veneer. It would be too easy to bust a hole in it.

The Binding can be seen here, they didn't offer it, but now they do and I want to know how the do it!

Can you comment on the benefits of a Rail pickup in the bridge position? From what I understand, they are Humbuckers in a single coil size?

Cheers

Gaz
hmmm...okay then get a block of whatever wood the body is (maple?) and cut it to shape and glue it in..i wasnt thinkin straight before...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
hmmm...okay then get a block of whatever wood the body is (maple?) and cut it to shape and glue it in..i wasnt thinkin straight before...

Yes, I have spoken to a local Timber Merchant just now.
The body is Alder, but I am going to get a 4 inch by 1 inch planned plank of Rock Maple to fill the holes.

Not cheap, 2ft with cutting and planning £12 ($22 US)!

Any ideas about the Rail pickup? Was thinking about one for the bridge position.
Yes, a rail pickup is a single-coil sized humbucker. The ones that I have tried in bridges on strats produced a tone that was hotter and thicker than a SC, but not as high-output and thick as a humbucker -- the tone is somewhere in between.

I eagerly await your next installments -- I also own a Pacifica 112 that I'm considering modding/upgrading.
^what he said about the rail pups. if u want somthing that really does sound like a bucker in single size, look at the red lace sensor.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Had a few thoughts regarding the logistics of no Pick Guard.

I had wondered, how I will get neat paths for the pickup wiring to go through and stressed about using a long ass drill, from the neck pocket, all the way through to the bridge area.

However, it then occurred to me, that if i am fitting a filling block in the pool routed area, I could simply route a groove along the middle of it, on what would be the bottom, before I glue it in.
That way, when I route out the individual cavities for the pickups, there will be a path through.

Might actually do the route in the body as well, so that the wire from the neck, can pass under the middle pickup, and so on.

I am thinking I will only need a very thin "fill" piece for the area where the volume etc goes, same thickness as a pick guard.

I will create a ledge around the existing route, then drop my fill in blank into it (glued of course).

Then once I have everything how I want it, test fitted etc, I can go about putting the Veneer on.

I really want this binding as per the image above. I read somewhere that you can use a router with a narrower base plate.

I have a Dremel and you can get router plates for them, so that is something to look at.

I also want to remove the black inlay dots from the fret board and replace them with Puna or Abalone or something.

Also fancy putting an Puna inlay in the head stock (my Nick name on it) after the Veneer is on.

Pickups wise, have been looking at these Clicky!
UK made and not as expensive as Swineshead. Pig Iron singles and a Rail in the bridge, maybe a regular Bucker.
Last edited by Skeet UK at Sep 4, 2008,
irongear is good from what i hear, also check out bareknuckels
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
irongear is good from what i hear, also check out bareknuckels

Bareknuckles are way more expensive though.

Would anyone care to comment on this?

I don't know whether to go for a Wilkinson VS100 or one of these. Price is way better, but I thought that the Wilkinson name, would add...a certain something.
Cant get the Wilkinson in Chrome (polished) though.

How crap could it be for £26?

I would like to have "named" stuff on the guitar to be honest. I would even change the tuners later, for Grovers etc.

What about roller string trees? Mine only has one tree, would a second help?
Last edited by Skeet UK at Sep 5, 2008,
^true they arent cheap...

that bridge looks pretty sturdy, and its two-point...i say go for it!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Im not sure if any one really cares, but heres my Pacifica 012 w/emg 81, painted, F**ked up with its trem disabled. haha

Im not sure if any one really cares, but heres my Pink Pacifica w/noiseless pups. Its in bits at the moment as im wiring up a LED setup to lightup the body. haha

holy hell that pink pacifica is awesome! is that a custom made body? it looks see thru!
i think its just a reflection...
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Haha yeah the body's see through pink acrylic. You can see the strap running down the back of it.

Its not to nice to play for any lenth of time as its rather heavy, the body also gives the pickups a harsh high sound which doesnt amp to well.

Looks cool though.