if a song is in the key of D minor would it work to solo mixing the d minor and D major scales together?
No but
that would (if it would sound ok) only add 1 playable note m8. I don't know why you'd even want to mix them xD
Quote by Retro Rocker

haha

*wipes tear from eye*
Oh you're good.
you can switch between major and minor in a song though, without having it sound too random. look up relative major/minor
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Short answer yes, for different sounds.
Long theory answer would be look into intervals, they're not hard to start memorizing and basically, minor and major is in the same key, it's what is called a relative minor.

You know how the major scale has 7 notes? Well the 6th one is minor.
Example;
C-D-E-F-G-A-B
1-2-3-4-5-6-7

So in Cmajor, A minor is relative.

D minor however like you're asking is already the 6th of something so go look into intervals and figure out what major one it belongs too. Hope this helps.
*shrugs* I don't know...
Quote by Base Ics
No but
that would (if it would sound ok) only add 1 playable note m8. I don't know why you'd even want to mix them xD

No... D minor is the relative minor of F major. By combining the two, you would add 3 more notes - B natural, F#, and C#.

Anyways, it doesn't make sense to use the D minor and D major scales together in a solo, because the two are very different scales. However, if the chord progression did happen to change key to D major/B minor, then it would be OK to use the D major scale. Otherwise, it's not so practical to use the two in conjunction.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
Quote by firebreath07
Anyways, it doesn't make sense to use the D minor and D major scales together in a solo, because the two are very different scales. However, if the chord progression did happen to change key to D major/B minor, then it would be OK to use the D major scale. Otherwise, it's not so practical to use the two in conjunction.

Of course it doesn't make sense when you're robotic, music is exploration and I have jumped into a weird Dmaj lick in F several times. So as long as you're only using the flattened 2nd etc. as passing notes (sliding through them slowly) it can actually make an interesting sound.
*shrugs* I don't know...
Quote by Jaykib
Short answer yes, for different sounds.
Long theory answer would be look into intervals, they're not hard to start memorizing and basically, minor and major is in the same key, it's what is called a relative minor.

You know how the major scale has 7 notes? Well the 6th one is minor.
Example;
C-D-E-F-G-A-B
1-2-3-4-5-6-7

So in Cmajor, A minor is relative.

D minor however like you're asking is already the 6th of something so go look into intervals and figure out what major one it belongs too. Hope this helps.

Though he asked if he could mix D and Dm togeher. Not the relative major of Dm. So in short, not really xD
You can always try, but it's very hard to make that sound good and you'll ppb put more time in it than it's worth m8. Not to mention that the result very ppb won't be a "waaw", but at most a "hmm, this doens't sound horrible anymore"
Quote by Retro Rocker

haha

*wipes tear from eye*
Oh you're good.
well i know a litle abotu theory and im just trying to analayze some simple solos and stuff. if anyone is familiar with the song fall to pieces by velvet revolver i thought the song was in the key of d minor so i thought the solo would be in d minor. however i see it cant cause there r different notes in the solo so thats what was confusin me. is there like a key change or something or does anyone knwo what key the solo is in? thanks
it wont sound good. but to further on jaykib's theory.... a minor's relative major is 3 half steps up, as a major's relative minor is 3 half steps down.
Play to Live, Live to Play...
Hey base ics my first answer was yes for different sounds, I'm just trying to bridge him onto intervals seen he's new.

Look dude, basically if you're new to this pentatonic is you're friend.
*shrugs* I don't know...
anyone know the song fall to pieces by velvet revolver? i think its in D major and it switches to Bm in the middle of the song before the solo. i cant figure oout the scale or key of the solo. I tried D major but some notes arent in it help pleasseeee. is it possible that the solo is mixed using D blues major ? like there is a C note in the solo and thats not even in D major or D blues major scale. where is it comin from
Last edited by Unreal T at Aug 31, 2008,
Quote by Jaykib
Hey base ics my first answer was yes for different sounds, I'm just trying to bridge him onto intervals seen he's new.

Look dude, basically if you're new to this pentatonic is you're friend.

Yea, I get that but
Him being new, I just answered his question and let him discover the theory by himself. You tried to lead him to more. Now on 1 hand that's good, cause he'll ppb want to learn more later on, but I'd say give him some time to absorb what he's learning well
His question was if you can play in D and Dm through each other in a solo that's in Dm. Of course the question is Yes if..., but for what he knows of the theory, the yes if... would be too much and pretty confusing (I think) to see all at a time. So I just gave him the 'no' to let him discover the ifs in good time
Cause if a new kid is going to play D in a Dm solo without knowing what to really do with that F# (or when it's ok to work with it), his solo is bound to sound horrid xD
Quote by Retro Rocker

haha

*wipes tear from eye*
Oh you're good.