I got a new bass, Ibanez GSR200. I love it. I'm playing it through an old 80's bass amp, its like 75 watts, its massive, it soudns pretty good, but i tried it through my valve junior stack and it juset sounds so amazing, its the best sound I've ever heard.. I know you should never play a bass through a guitar amp but its not like on full bass, its somewhat trebly and it soudns amazing.. it sounds like it can handle it, its not distorted or anything.. i wouldn't play it past 10 o' clock, prolly a lot less, its at 9 right now and soudns perfect... WILL it damage the speaker? Is it just a chance? How much would i take to hurt the speaker? It just soudns so good.. Thx for the replies
just dont do it. ive done it before, didnt hurt a thing,however, dont risk it.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
The only reason I don't just use my other amp (like i said, its vintage from the 80s, its 60 watts actually, its LOUD and soudns great) but it rattles like crazy when you play with volume and its too frustrating...
Hey what about if you ran the VJ head thru a bass cab/speaker?

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
I was thinkin that. But I don't have one. So I was thinking of maybe plugging the head into the actual bass amp... turning off the EQ.. i just dont know what OHMS i'd plug the cable into.. 4 8 or 16 or if it'd even work
Quote by JMcG92
Hey what about if you ran the VJ head thru a bass cab/speaker?

that would work, might not sound as good as through an equivalent bass head though
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I just want some experiences/opinions on running it through the valve junior, what could happen, what it'd take, hjow long, the after effects, It's just.. when I plug into the VJ, its the tone I've always been looking for.. xD i've never played a bass tube amp and I'm not much of a bassist, but its just perfect
Quote by Slash42x
I was thinkin that. But I don't have one. So I was thinking of maybe plugging the head into the actual bass amp... turning off the EQ.. i just dont know what OHMS i'd plug the cable into.. 4 8 or 16 or if it'd even work

It wouldn't work, so don't try it. You could very well end up blowing out your head.

If you can hook the speaker in the bass amp up to the valve jr. head, then its fine.

The speaker with the Valve jr. is not built to handle the bass amp frequencies. The speaker will inevitably fart out when you're playing bass notes at higher volumes. Extended time will end up damaging the speaker permanently. Also, the headroom of the Valve jr. is tiny with a guitar, and its even worse with a bass. If you like a distorted bass tone, just get a bass fuzz or something. Or if you like the increased treble response, get an EQ for your bass amp.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 31, 2008,
Thats the thing. I don't want it distorted, I'm fine playing it quietly at 9 o' clock where it isn't distorted. Any louder and it gets distorted, so I don't plan on playing it louder than 9, aka a quarter of the volume. Thats why I'm not worried, since at a quarter, is itn very loud at all. So I'm asking you - at a quarter, 15%, 9 o' clock, where it isn't even distorted yet - is that too loud to damage it with time?
I've seen it done many times (Bass through a small tube guitar amp) - NEVER hurt a thing. The Eminence Speaker in the VJ is rated @ 70 watts and the amp is a 5 watter - so I'M SAYING it wouldn't hurt a thing...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
I wouldn't. 1 screw up and it could be over. Knob gets turned by accident, whatever.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD