Page 1 of 2
This months BPoTM is the amazing, the talented, the one and only Jack Bruce. I'll put the really simple stuff only diehards like me care about right here, so the less enthusiastic can skip over it.
STATS
Birth: May 14, 1943, in Bishopbriggs, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Death: not yet.
Home: Essex, England
Instruments besides Electric Bass: upright, harmonica,
piano, vocals, cello
Married: twice.

HISTORY
Jack Bruce, a child of musical parents, started playing jazz on the upright in his teens. In his earlier years, he actually was rather amiss about rock, and stuck with jazz. After studying cello, he won a scholarship for his efforts to the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama. Though he accepted the scholarship, he felt his lower class (with a factory working father) was getting him discriminated against by peers and faculty. When the Academy told him to choose between college or the jazz dance band he played with at nights to support his career, he felt it was better to just leave his formal education alone. While playing for Ernest Ranglin, he was told to play an electric bass, or Fender bass, as they called them back then. He borrowed a Guild Starfire bass with tapewound strings that in his words went "Boink". He thought, 'Wow, this is easy and it's LOUD.' He went back to upright after playing with him, but never forgot about the electric bass.

While playing with the Graham Bond Organisation, he bought a Fender VI to try to fulfill both bass and guitar parts, but succeeded only in pissing off drummer Ginger Baker, who hated Bruce's busy, unbound style (for the 60's, his playing was truly unusual, and Baker was not used to nor wanted to be used to his style). Baker eventually kicked him out of the band, and kept him away with a knife. Bruce escaped to the Bluesbreakers, where he met Eric Clapton, a budding guitarist. Though he stayed only briefly (deciding to tour with the successful Manfred Mann), Clapton remembered the unusual bassist. He decided to form a band, the supergroup, and chose his favorite bassist and drummer to join him. This, of course, was Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce. Though Baker was highly against Bruce's inclusion, he eventually agreed, and a band was made. Under the opinion that they were the 'cream of the crop', they named themselves Cream (Crop would have been a much
cooler name, in my humble opinion).

With Disraeli Gears, the first supergroup had commercial success. With Clapton's bluesily soulful guitar, Bruce's unusual guitarish bass, and Baker's jazzy rhythms, and the groups amazing jams, the band found success with 'Sunshine of Your Love' a catchy, simple song that stormed the pop chart. After follow up album Wheels of Fire, however, the band began to crack apart, with Bruce and Baker going at it again, and Clapton soon tired of playing Mommy. They left one final album, Goodbye, and one last tour.

FUN FACT! Yes was an opening act for Cream, However, I have yet to find any of the much necessary Squire/Bruce bass duos.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
After Cream, Jack Bruce never had as much popularity as Clapton did. While in Cream, Bruce recorded an acoustic jazz album with John McLaughlin of the Mahavishnu Orchestra that is considered a forerunner to modern fusion. Sadly, numerous hip hop artists have ruined these concise jams with their stupid sampling (if you can't make your own music, don't pretend to, it is that simple, kids).

Eventually, he began jumping through groups, making albums and songs with many artists, including:

West, Bruce and Liang
Frank Zappa
Mick Taylor (The Rolling Stones)
Jon Anderson (Yes)
Ginger Baker (Cream)
Ringo Starr (The Beatles)
Bernie Worrel and Vernon Reid (Living Colour)
Eric Clapton (Cream)

and many others who are either forgotten, unimportant, or I can't spell their names. He had been hoping to form a supergroup with Jimi Hendrix and Tony Williams prior to the guitarist's demise.

GEAR
Bruce used a Fender VI, tuned EADGBe. He then switched to a Gibson EB-3 he planned on using while the paint dried on his fancily repainted Fender. Deciding the spacing on his Gibson was easier to use, Bruce soon favored this bass over the Fender. Playing it through a cranked Marshall bass amplifier, he produced a heavy distorted tone that became very popular among rockers over the next years. Nowadays, Jack uses a customized fretless Warwick Thumb bass featuring a bubinga body, an ebony fretboard, a bubinga neck, neck through construction, and two jazz pickups(additionally, he has a fretted version of this bass, a 5-string fretted thumb, and the Jack Bruce CRB). He also uses Hartke amplifiers, a 7000 head through two 1x15 and two 4x10 cabs, with the mids emphasized by his frown shaped EQ setting. He also uses SIT roundwound strings.

STYLE
Jack Bruce has a very busy and fluid style, providing solid catchy rhythms (ex. Sitting on Top of the World) and supportive countermelodies (ex. White Room). this style was not drawn from the simple thumping basslines that preceded Bruce in rock music, but from the music of Charles Mingus, James Jamerson, and Scott LaFaro. very enthusiastic about his playing, Bruce often used brash fills, string bends, slides and other bass no-no's at the time, yet still performing the necessary rhythmic functions of keeping the music together. what Jack Bruce means to me I think, is bass playing can be both supportive and groundbreaking. that is the main appeal of Jack Bruce to most people. of course, a few other amazing bass players share this appeal, but this is not their month it is Jack's.

so let's celebrate Jack in all his glory with a picture given to me by our own Tamarkee...

just because I can...

special thanks to Tam and Del.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Last edited by the humanity at Sep 3, 2008,
Holy fuck...I thought there'd never be another one of these.

Nice work...nice Fitz seal of approval too.
I probably should have asked him, but, eh. he'll laugh.

I mean, who'd expect to see themselves in a jack bruce thread?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Nice one Humanity, good to see that someones actually doing these things. And Sticky?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Good BPotM the humanity!
I thought you were doing it on The Fuzzinator?
You stole my Overture
Quote by BulletFrost
Good BPotM the humanity!
I thought you were doing it on The Fuzzinator?

that was Kranoscorp. he didn't come through . I can do him later though, because ol Fuzzi' definitely needs one.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

It be a good one never really listened to him ill have to go look u psome of his stuff any suggestions. Anyways good BPotM.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I'm not 100% sure thefitz approves of Jack Bruce...lol we'll see.

Nice BPOTM. Reminds me that I need to get my Timmy C one started. But for an example of Bruce's best bassing take a listen to Frank Zappa's Apostrophe.
I know fitzy said he had great technique once. the old warrior aint much to compliment his foes.

get on that, or I'll have to do Timbob too. I'm not good with vegans.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Still no sticky?
I might do one on Nick Oliveria, Flea, Geddy Lee or Colin Greenwood. Where do I sign up?
You stole my Overture
Quote by BulletFrost
Still no sticky?
I might do one on Nick Oliveria, Flea, Geddy Lee or Colin Greenwood. Where do I sign up?

mods have PM addresses too

you know what to do...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

By Jove Humie, you've gone and earned muchos rythym points, and taught me about Jack Bruce, who was before simply, the bassist from Cream.

Awesome,now I too want to to one of these, possible on Mr Claypool,as Im currently wearing a hat bearing his image.

bitchin'
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by BulletFrost
Still no sticky?
Post in the forum plan thread.
Quote by Ippon
Nice!

It's amazing that all my favorite bassists' names start with a J: J Bruce, J Entwistle, J Paul Jones, J Jamerson.

check out Jerry Jermont. may be your cup of tea.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

we let the EB-3 slide for now. note that few people have said 'jack bruce omg! eb-3+marshalls=splooge'
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

nice piece!!
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Anarkee helped. let us all golfclap for her.

Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Additionally to the customised Thumb NT (both fretted and fretless), he also uses a 5 string fretted thumb and the Jack Bruce CRB these days.

thank you.

you win at bass trivia.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Ippon
Nice!

It's amazing that all my favorite bassists' names start with a J: J Bruce, J Entwistle, J Paul Jones, J Jamerson.

you forgot Jaco and Jeff Ament
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by slaptasticdave
you forgot Jaco and Jeff Ament

does that mean he doesn't like jaco? I refuse to believe.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

He probably just forgot

Edit: O and as long as its remotely related, Jeff is releasing a solo album in September, I for one am very excited!
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
where's my sticky?

mods are all on vacation...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by ScottB.
Nice one Humanity, good to see that someones actually doing these things. And Sticky?

Stickied. I was away for the weekend, even mods need vacation lol.

Nice Job all round.
Quote by the humanity
does that mean he doesn't like jaco? I refuse to believe.

What's wrong with not liking Jaco?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
What's wrong with not liking Jaco?

it's physically impossible.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
it's physically impossible.

Lol...not so: I don't like him.

But as for Mr Bruce; you have warmed the cockles of my heart with this. I've fond memories of cracking the bassline to 'Strange Brew' in my bedroom, aged 17, not many miles from his birthplace. Neck pup on my Rick copy, gain way up on the Marshall, big grin on my face!
He often plays the Glasgow Jazz Festival these days, I must get to one of those gigs.

A single minded man, and a true individual. Much under-rated and well due a tribute.
wut abot mi btoptm?

it wis beta!!!!!

Irregardless of this fact, nice BPOTM. I'd never listened to Jack Bruce, nor could I have claimed to even know who he is.

However, now I know who he is ever so slightly more.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
wut abot mi btoptm?

it wis beta!!!!!

Irregardless of this fact, nice BPOTM. I'd never listened to Jack Bruce, nor could I have claimed to even know who he is.

However, now I know who he is ever so slightly more.

yours was certainly inspiring. however, I am not sure if Pete Wentz is my hero ( ) was how I wanted this one to look. but it was nice.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Is this for August or September?
Quote by RPGoof
Heavy metal indicates you are using meth, LSD, ecstasy or cocaine.
September.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Dig the article, and the seal of approval took me by surprise. However, I'll mention here what I did in the other thread - Bruciebaby used a frowny-face (cut treble/bass, boosted mids) to get his current Warwick tone.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Dig the article, and the seal of approval took me by surprise. However, I'll mention here what I did in the other thread - Bruciebaby used a frowny-face (cut treble/bass, boosted mids) to get his current Warwick tone.

sweet, thanks for the knowledge, I'll throw it in. I surprise you?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Good article, well-written. The pic of Fitz caught me off guard too
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I think it's awesome that he used the Gibson EB-3 back then. Cause during that time it was probably considered wild and crazy, even though NOW Gibson basses are frowned upon.

I grew up listening to Cream when i was little, my parents still have some cassettes.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Page 1 of 2