I have a feeling that the answer is going to be obvious and I'm going to get the piss taken, but seriously, is there that big of a difference?

I started at a College in Scotland last monday for the second time (took a year out to get some moneys), and my mate is starting his second year at Stirling University.

Since he got back for the summer break he's been very...er...well lets just say snooty. It's like he thinks he's better than me and our other mates because he went out of town to go to a University. it's really bugged me because he only gets one lecture every 2 days and it only lasts 2 hours, whereas my course is 3 days full time and 2 days apprenticeship.

So what's the main difference? :S From what he's told me the grounds are pretty much the same, with the same rules and stuff as well

also, it seems to be the same sort of grades we're shooting for, 1st year HNC, 2nd year HND, 3rd year degree etc
Last edited by gallagher2006 at Aug 31, 2008,
He's probably just a toff.

Maybe he feels more 'grown up' now he's at Uni, and it's gone to his head.

ಠ_ಠ

wat

The difference is become less marked but basically:

Universty = Academia
College = Practical

and degree awarding powers, colleges can't give degrees.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
The difference is the type of degrees offered.

Colleges offer Highers, HNCs and HNDs, whilst Universities offer BAs, LLBs, MSc, MEng (amongst others), as well as post-graduate degrees such as Masters and PHDs.

I wouldn't necessarily say that one is better than the other - just different. It all depends on what you want to do.

But just because you go to college doesn't mean you should feel in any way inferior to your pal - they offer a vast amount of ridiculously useless degrees these days.
Terms and Conditions apply.
Er, I'm not entirely sure, but I believe you get different qualifications. Like, you get HNCs and HNDs at college, and at Uni you get other degrees (although I'm not sure which lmao) and like post-graduate stuff.

Your friend sounds like he's being a complete twat though.
Some Colleges also offer degrees, but they're validated by a (usually nearby) university. Example, Colchester Insitute does this for music and performing arts BAs and MAs.
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
to be honest, I thought they were awful. I mean some of the songs our drummer's written was better than their stuff.
Quote by cagnius
The difference is the type of degrees offered.

Colleges offer Highers, HNCs and HNDs, whilst Universities offer BAs, LLBs, MSc, MEng (amongst others), as well as post-graduate degrees such as Masters and PHDs.

I wouldn't necessarily say that one is better than the other - just different. It all depends on what you want to do.

But just because you go to college doesn't mean you should feel in any way inferior to your pal - they offer a vast amount of ridiculously useless degrees these days.

Wait - So if I'm going for a degree in my 3rd/4th year, I'm going to have to go to a University? :S
Sounds like it's a bit different in Europe. As far as I know, and I may be wrong, in the States, uni = under- and post-grad degrees, and college=just undergrad.

EDIT: Sounds like your friend is putting on airs to justify the fact that he's spending a hell of a lot more than you are for a less practical education. I wouldn't get my ass too chapped about it.
I always thought it was also that Universities have multiple campuses, while college has a single one?
Quote by gallagher2006
Wait - So if I'm going for a degree in my 3rd/4th year, I'm going to have to go to a University? :S

No, read my post. If they're offering you a degree course, then likelihood is you will stay at your College.

EDIT: I mean if the College has offered a degree on it's prospectus lol.
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
to be honest, I thought they were awful. I mean some of the songs our drummer's written was better than their stuff.
Quote by gallagher2006

aye

Unless your college is part of the UHI millenium institute which gets its degree awarding powers quite soon.
Quote by meh!
aye

Unless your college is part of the UHI millenium institute which gets its degree awarding powers quite soon.

Oh...it is actually. Any idea when? I'm not too keen on moving away for two years
Quote by meh!
aye

Look at me, I'm Stu and I've been doing my research for my impending University career starting!
Quote by gallagher2006
Oh...it is actually. Any idea when? I'm not too keen on moving away for two years

Er...I don't knw exactly when but i think it's actually before the end of the year...

Cag, I haven't done 'research', my dad works for the UHI
Most colleges that award proper degrees do so through a university, eg the College of St Mark and St John down here awards degrees through Exeter uni.
Quote by smb
Most colleges that award proper degrees do so through a university, eg the College of St Mark and St John down here awards degrees through Exeter uni.

Aye indeed, got mates going to both places.
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
Quote by meh!
Er...I don't knw exactly when but i think it's actually before the end of the year...

Cag, I haven't done 'research', my dad works for the UHI

'Works'

Well indeed, i've been there a fair few times and all he does is eat biscuits and drink tea!

I SWEAR IT

It's all anyone at universities do. don't listen to them when lecturers say they 'teach' and 'reserach' they DRINK TEA AND EAT BISCUITS
Lotsa scots here
An HNC is one years study at basically higher level... a degree is like 4...at uni level :/ I think that's the main difference >.>
Seriously, I'm 16 and could do an HNC and possibly an HND, but a Uni would laugh at my application.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Quote by Insanity^2
Lotsa scots here
An HNC is one years study at basically higher level... a degree is like 4...at uni level :/ I think that's the main difference >.>
Seriously, I'm 16 and could do an HNC and possibly an HND, but a Uni would laugh at my application.

You'd be surprised of the kind of morons that get into Uni. My mate, for example, only applied and took the course to get out of working after high school. A mate he has there applied at the last minute so he could leave town and quite his job at Burger King.

hardly the top pupils from the High Schools
University is big and has loads of courses and faculties.

College just has a few courses and a couple of faculties.

I go to a college. Wish i went to a university.