What do you guys suppose is the peak wattage of higher wattage tube heads?

I just noticed as I was looking on the back of this ENGL for the SN, that it says the max is 165W. That's pretty insane considering its a 50W head in normal conditions. This is more than tree times the standard wattage.

This had me thinking, what would the peak wattage be on a Triple Rec? Or even scarier, that 280W Metereo Mak-3000?
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by seljer
tubes are horribly inefficient

true, but they sound so good!!

keep in mind the rms value of SOLIDSTATE electronics is 70%(roughly) of its peak, and transistors are reasonably efficient. With how much heat a tube gives off, well you can figure out for yourself how much power is lost there.
Are you sure you don't mean consumption?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Are you sure you don't mean consumption?

my amp has got "maximum power consumption" rating on the back of it

it more of a 'know how much stuff you can hook up at once without flipping any circuit breakers'

actual power consumption varies as you play (eg: when you've got your guitar muted it has to do much less work than when you've got it cranked to 11)
Quote by seljer

it more of a 'know how much stuff you can hook up at once without flipping any circuit breakers'

actual power consumption varies as you play (eg: when you've got your guitar muted it has to do much less work than when you've got it cranked to 11)
Yeah, I know.

I was suggesting that the TS thought that the maximum power consumption figure he read was in fact the maximum power output.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Yeah, I know.

I was suggesting that the TS thought that the maximum power consumption figure he read was in fact the maximum power output.

a valve amp can be thought of as a huge heater that sometimes, under very special circumstances, allows a small amount of energy out to the speakers
Quote by TheDriller
a valve amp can be thought of as a huge heater that sometimes, under very special circumstances, allows a small amount of energy out to the speakers

all amps can be thought of as that
Quote by seljer

Oh that could be it. Don't remember though.

I just thought it was interesting. If that was the consumption, would that mean that the actual power is even higher?
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
The number you read on the back is the power consumption, not max power output. You'd never get 165 watts out of that head.
A good rule of thumb for tube amps is that distorted they can put out around 2 times what they're rated for with all the knobs up, so actual power of that amp would be somewhere around 100 watts.
Quote by rwalby9
Oh that could be it. Don't remember though.

I just thought it was interesting. If that was the consumption, would that mean that the actual power is even higher?

when you take into account distortion, it quite often is. This is what can quite often sway around power ratings for amps.... eg: a manufacturer measures the power output of a PA power amp at 1% total harmonic distortion instead of 0.1% THD so he can pad the numbers a bit
I've got no idea what kind of standard guitar amp companies are on, seeing as most guitarists don't really care about having pristine clean sounds