hi, i put my pinky finger on the pickguard from my picking hand to get control and know where the strings are. but then i found out some people say its a really bad habit to develop is it?? and if it is, what would be better: playing w/o touching anything or resting my hand on the bridge? and if its the bridge one.. i got another problem i find that resting on the bridge automatically kinda palm mutes some strings when i'm not suppose to
help?
it all depends on what you play. if its metal ,i would put it on the bridge for quick palm-mutes. anything else, i would float (although you can palm-mute with your hand floating). Other than that, i would either ask a guitar teacher, or do what you think is best for you.
i put my pinky on the pickguard, too.... and have no intentions of changing it, either.

It works for me...
O O

___
I agree with TheBax, i anchor my pinky + wring finger unless i'm strumming chords, and it works for me. I don't feel that it's holding me back in any way, and until it does, I probably wont' fix it
Quote by Boomersoonr
I agree with TheBax, i anchor my pinky + wring finger unless i'm strumming chords, and it works for me. I don't feel that it's holding me back in any way, and until it does, I probably wont' fix it

Yeah, i don't do it with chords... just notes... but like you said, it's not holding me back in any way. So why fix what isn't broken.
O O

___
I disagree. I really think you should get less dependent on that soon. Waiting until it holds you back may sound like a good idea, but think about it this way: The longer you pick like this, the harder it'll be to break the habit. It's much better to just work on while you still can.
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
Quote by TheBax
Yeah, i don't do it with chords... just notes... but like you said, it's not holding me back in any way. So why fix what isn't broken.

im the same, pretty sure iv seen slash do this sometimes, i dont think there is such thing as a bad habbit if it works for you, everyone is different
Quote by 1337guitarplayr
hi, i put my pinky finger on the pickguard from my picking hand to get control and know where the strings are. but then i found out some people say its a really bad habit to develop is it?? and if it is, what would be better: playing w/o touching anything or resting my hand on the bridge? and if its the bridge one.. i got another problem i find that resting on the bridge automatically kinda palm mutes some strings when i'm not suppose to
help?

ive been pinky anchoring for years, one day I decided to get rid of it, took me 2 months, and it was painful, but Im so happy I did
Quote by Gacel
ive been pinky anchoring for years, one day I decided to get rid of it, took me 2 months, and it was painful, but Im so happy I did

could you explain what limit you had when anchoring and what things you can do now because you stopped anchoring?
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Quote by angl2k
could you explain what limit you had when anchoring and what things you can do now because you stopped anchoring?

well, Ive noticed I have more control over my pick, and my hand can move faster, also if I ever had an accident and got my pinky mutilated, still I could play ^^