can any one who covered teen town tell me how he did it? i have been trying to learn it for 3 months now and i can't even get close, also if any one knows a track that i could play to help learn teen town will be very appreciated p.s i have been playing for a year and a half now and the most difficult track that i covered is yyz
Can you play YYZ smoothly and cleanly? They are about the same speed, but Teen Town has you doing string skipping and whatnot more. What I would suggest is just playing different stuff around that speed, doing some arpeggios and octave patterns. Include string skipping.

Keep in mind I can't really play either
Why not try something a bit easier?

Then work your way towards it.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
I just can't get that first bit with the octave, minor 7th, and 5th. The rest isn't all that hard or fast - it's just a very, very angular pattern.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I've pretty much got it all almost up to speed. what I do is practice each phrase very slowly until I can get it perfectly. After that I push myself until I can play it faster and faster and eventually up to speed.
But I've been trying to learn it for a couple weeks and still don't have it down.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Who ISN'T having problems with Teen Town? Learning it on a fretless is even harder...

/looks at bass

You tricky son-of-a-bitch.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Really though, don't feel bad because it's too hard. I still can't play Tears in Heaven on my bass.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
I've pretty much got it all almost up to speed. what I do is practice each phrase very slowly until I can get it perfectly. After that I push myself until I can play it faster and faster and eventually up to speed.
But I've been trying to learn it for a couple weeks and still don't have it down.

How the hell do you do that string skipping nonsense at the beginning? What fingers do you use to hit what frets, and what fingers pick what strings? There has to be a trick to it that I'm missing.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
How the hell do you do that string skipping nonsense at the beginning? What fingers do you use to hit what frets, and what fingers pick what strings? There has to be a trick to it that I'm missing.

Try looking at the Manring version with the loop pedal, it's fairly clear what he's doing fingering wise on there I seem to remember. I don't remember one with Jaco where it showed him playing it clearly.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by thefitz

I know the question was not directed at me, but when I play the string-skipping bit in the beginning I use my index on me right hand to pluck notes on the A, my middle finger to pluck notes on the D, and my ring finger to pluck notes on the G.
And as far as my fretting hand goes, I use my index for the first note on the A, then my pinky for the octave on G, my index for the next note on the A, and then I bring that finger down to fret the the note on the G (like I was barring all the strings at the third fret, although only the note on the G is fretted while the others are muted), then I use my index to fret the note on the A again, and finish by fretting the note on the D with my ring finger.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
I cheat a bit playing that part

What I do is play the 3rd fret of the A string, up to the 5th of the G but then I skip going back down to the A string the next 2 times. So it goes like,

C-C-Bb-G in the order that it would go in the song. Basically the way I play it has the same feel and occupies the same amount of time that the original phrase does but it's just easier to do. And when it's played up to speed the difference is almost negligible. I'll sacrifice playing it note for note for actually being able to play it.

It's a lot easier if you re-arrange a lot of the phrases to your liking.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Last edited by Gsaws at Sep 1, 2008,
Im having trouble with it too man! Jaco Pastorius was inhuman at the bass.

EDIT: the only advice i can give you is start it off slow then slowly build speed.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Quote by thefitz

a LOT of practice. I literally played nothing but teen town for three days, even at band practice.

With my left hand I put my index on C and my pinky on the octave then bar C and Ab then I move my hand off the strings and play an open G. Then I put my ring finger back on the third fret just as I hit the string(sometimes I get fret buzz) and the rest of the phrase is pretty easy. In fact, most of the song after that is pretty easy compared to the first part. And the first part isn't so hard once your hands get coordinated (I only play with two fingers btw). The only hard part about teen town is the speed and is the only reason I don't have it all down yet.

but I decided that I wasn't going to get it anytime soon and started learning Jeff Berlin's version of "Tears in Heaven". Unfortunately, that's not going so well either.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you