I just finished watching the movie, and I've gotta say, it's pretty mind blowing. If you don't know what the butterfly effect is:

"The phrase refers to the idea that a butterfly's wings might create tiny changes in the atmosphere that may ultimately alter the path of a tornado or delay, accelerate or even prevent the occurrence of a tornado in a certain location. The flapping wing represents a small change in the initial condition of the system, which causes a chain of events leading to large-scale alterations of events. Had the butterfly not flapped its wings, the trajectory of the system might have been vastly different."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect

It basically says the little changes in the past can make huge differences in the future... I've always thought this to be true, although I'm sure some people doubt it. They seem to think that, well, the course of the future will pretty much even itself out.

An extreme example of this is in one Simpsons episode were Homer goes back to dinosaur times, squashes a few bugs or something, and when he comes back, all humans have completely changed. Although that's pretty far fetched, I've always thought that one thing leads to another, and by the end things could be completely different with one small change of events in the past.

Your thoughts?
Which ending did you see? The American theatrical release, where there's a happy ending? Or the director's cut where he kills himself in the womb?

Womb ending > happy ending.

Great film though, really bleak.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I saw the Directors Vut version, but not the original. The movie is ****ing brilliant, whoever made it is a ****in' genious.
Quote by HelpTravesty
Hey everyone, SMOKE WEED!

It's raining blood from a lacerated sky.

I thought it was like a horror film or something...

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
Jackolas's post

He kills himself in the womb?

Sweet.

I only saw the Theatrical version on TV about a year ago. Good film. I almost cried a few times.

And i'm a butch manly man who shaves with a blunt rock and vinegar.
i thought the movie was kinda weird IKD i guess it was "interesting"
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by freddaahh
Which ending did you see? The American theatrical release, where there's a happy ending? Or the director's cut where he kills himself in the womb?

Actually I saw the first one with Ashton Kutcher (2004) (he doesn't kill himself, but finally chooses a different future)
Quote by freddaahh

Hooray 4 dem spoilarz.
Quote by freddaahh

Didn't even know there was a different one, I just saw it on YouTube.

Too bad they didn't use that, it could have really ended the movie depressingly perfect.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
It was a good movie .... found it a little weird . he killls himself in the womb ? cool ... only saw the theatrical version
There's a happy ending?

Really good film, although I did'nt really like Kutcher as the lead. And yeah, butterfly effect is plausible and rational.. it's just something we can't see the effects of properly since we don't have anything to compare it to had the action not happened.
I haven't seen the film. It is true that a small change in initial conditions in a mathematical model leads to large differences in the long term.
Quote by Platodium
Actually I saw the first one with Ashton Kutcher (2004)

Both versions have Aston Kutcher in, they just shot a happy ending after poor ratings from test audiences.

Quote by Moggan13
He kills himself in the womb?

Sweet.

I only saw the Theatrical version on TV about a year ago. Good film. I almost cried a few times.

And i'm a butch manly man who shaves with a blunt rock and vinegar.

I'm Jackolas all of a sudden?
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
"i built this hidden room after i saw the buttfly effect, no i didnt get this idea from the movie, i just wanted to build a place where that movie would never find me". - Peter Griffin
Quote by freddaahh

If I were you I'd just might as well accept it now that it's been established.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
If I were you I'd just might as well accept it now that it's been established.

Yeah, I think so.

*zzzzzzzzzz*

Wow, I'm eighteen years old now, I'm from Reading and I play a white Fender strat, writing a one man band blues project.

I'm Jackolas now.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Quote by freddaahh
Both versions have Aston Kutcher in, they just shot a happy ending after poor ratings from test audiences.

... I don't get it The one I saw had an ending where he destroyed his journals... is that the happy ending?

edit: yep, I guess I did see the happy ending
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW7DQ1bSjFM
Last edited by Platodium at Aug 31, 2008,
Quote by freddaahh
Yeah, I think so.

*zzzzzzzzzz*

Wow, I'm eighteen years old now, I'm from Reading and I play a white Fender strat, writing a one man band blues project.

I'm Jackolas now.

I find it odd that you managed to summarize jackolas so quickly.

It seems a bit... convenient.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by freddaahh

I told you not to read the fucking journals.
It seems that most people didn't like this movie, I thought it was really good and interesting... I mean Kutcher isn't the greatest actor but it worked well.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by Kensai
I find it odd that you managed to summarize jackolas so quickly.

It seems a bit... convenient.

You see, he gave birth to me, and I know all about him, he is complete asexual, so I am - in effect - him.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Quote by freddaahh
You see, he gave birth to me, and I know all about him, he is complete asexual, so I am - in effect - him.

*Head Explodes*
Quote by Moggan13
*Head Explodes*

That's why he wants to keep that stuff a secret; the world would crumble otherwise.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Quote by freddaahh
That's why he wants to keep that stuff a secret; the world would crumble otherwise.

Now...Now it all makes sence....
It's a brilliant movie, one of my favorites. But now I can't watch That 70's Show without thinking of it and getting depressed
Quote by zObiPhiOn
I came at the

-"Oh Lars, seek and destroy my backside"
-"yeah Kirk ride my lightning!"

██████████████████████___________██████████████████████
______________________███████████████████
██████████████████████___________██████████████████████
Quote by Platodium
A 2009 Sequel is being made... with Ashton Kutcher and Amy Smart

But he died, there can't be a sequel if he died and changed the future.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
****ing bestest movie ever ****ing made!!!!

Though do yourself a favor & don't watch the sequal! It's so bad it ruins the first one!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Quote by freddaahh
But he died, there can't be a sequel if he died and changed the future.

Maybe one of his relatives had the same problem, went back in time, fixed everything, and now everything's okay
Quote by Platodium

Dude they already made a sequal! 'twas terrible!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Quote by Platodium
Maybe one of his relatives had the same problem, went back in time, fixed everything, and now everything's okay

So Kutcher plays his own cousin or something?

I think it would be more interesting if they made a film about how I am a clone of Jackolas.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife

soo all the hurricanes ripping apart the coastal cities are the butteflies doing?

stupid butterflies
Quote by xander307
that wasnt scary daryldom, it turned me on

Proud Canadian Eh?
Quote by Platodium
I've always thought that one thing leads to another, and by the end things could be completely different with one small change of events in the past.

Your thoughts?

I concur.

I'm walking home, and there's a fork in the road. If I go left, I get hit and killed by a car. If I go right, I make it home and later on in life find a cure for AIDS. Had I not been killed that day, millions of others would would be dying.

EDIT: Not actually saying I'm going to find a cure for AIDS.
OMG i love that film.
it's my favourite film that isn't a comedy

*high fives TS*

also the happy ending one was the best
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Quote by Platodium

Ah, so a real sequel this time?

I might watch it.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.