I wanted to start recording some stuff and had a few questions about purchasing a mic. Here goes...

1.) On mics, when I see a lot of musicians scream, it doesn't seem to muffle the sound like most regular mics do. Is there a certain type of mics that can handle that? I want to be able to scream with the same clarity as regular recording, how can I achieve that?

2.) What type of mic does Trent Reznor use?

3.) I wanted to get a nice mic stand too, but what types are there and what are the differences?

4.) What's a good make for mics and mic stands?

That's about it, thanks in advance.
1) dynamic mics
or condensor mics along with a pop screen in the studio (though there you're not going to be screaming like that into it in the same way you would do live)
the ****ty little thing you buy for your computer is worthless

2.) no idea

3.) a mic stand is a mic stand, don't know what you could expect out of it
you've got like tiny ones for micing up guitar amps, then ones for vocalist, then more or less the regular type thats used for everything

4.) Shure, Sennheiser, Neumann
how can you go from screaming to trent reznor, hes not a screamer but instead more of a shouter with passion about his views. The mic he uses wont help you sound like him so i dont know why your looking for it anyway
+
ask in the riffs and recording forum
1. any mic will handle screaming if you set the level right
2. don't know, probably several tho and they are probably extremely expensive (studio ones anyway)
3. a mic stand is a mic stand is a mic stand, and like everything, you get what you pay for.
4. for mics I assume you don't have an unlimited budget so that pretty much rules neumann out. for a decent condenser look into sE, rode and AKG, they all make good mics for a reasonable price. If you are looking for a dynamic (can be used live but quality on recording won't be as good as a decent condenser and a pop shield) it's gotta be the shure SM58.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Titch2011
how can you go from screaming to trent reznor, hes not a screamer but instead more of a shouter with passion about his views. The mic he uses wont help you sound like him so i dont know why your looking for it anyway
+
ask in the riffs and recording forum

However you want to describe it. I did not mean actual "screamer" vocals. The reason I asked is because his voice sounds very clear and the quality is awesome on all his tracks. I know the mic won't make sound like him.

Also, I mean screams such as Maynard's and Trent's screaming on their tracks.

So is the mic specifically called a condenser mic? Those are the ones you can scream and do regular vocals on?

By screaming I mean Maynard and Trent type of screaming.
I recently bought a Numark WM200 after breaking my AKG P 200.
It's a well-priced microphone, and is pretty versatile when it comes to vocals.
Quote by Nikon87
However you want to describe it. I did not mean actual "screamer" vocals. The reason I asked is because his voice sounds very clear and the quality is awesome on all his tracks. I know the mic won't make sound like him.

Also, I mean screams such as Maynard's and Trent's screaming on their tracks.

So is the mic specifically called a condenser mic? Those are the ones you can scream and do regular vocals on?

By screaming I mean Maynard and Trent type of screaming.

there are 2 types of high quality microphones: condensor and dynamic

condenser mics are slightly delicate so they're usually used more for vocals in the studio or acoustic instruments

dynamic mics are pretty rugged and can take really loud sounds (i.e. put it in front of a LOUD cranked guitar amp and it'll still work)

you can scream and do regular vocals on either, just get your recording levels and microphone technique right (most the distancy from you to the mic)