I'm not satisfied with the music I am making. Whenever I make a riff it sounds predictable or just plain amateurish. I want to make Thrash Metal song and I have been taking influences from Metallica's:"Hit the lights, Battery, Creeping Death". I want to make songs like these: Songs you can just rock out to but are catchy metal songs. So what are some advice I can use to help me become a better guitarist? Scales, Tunings, Techniques that can help? I know some music theory but not a lot and I don't know what to do to make a song sound like the songs mentioned above. Many thanks if you can help me.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

In my opinion i dont like thinking about scales and shizz, just use your brain and ears.
Play what you think sounds good and put some emotion into it-this is what makes REAL music.
As for thrash use power chords and like down pick galloping ( Drop D or C)
Very fast =P

Hope that helps
Quote by XGhacker
1) OMG THE LEAD SINGER OF IRON MAIDEN RAPES HIS SON!!!
Bruce Dick-in-son
Last edited by Horny-Egg at Aug 31, 2008,
I was exactly in your postion a few months back, but i researched metallica influences such as venom/mercyful fate/king diamond/ etc.. and jammed out to those tunes and came up with some nice riffs also, if your playing in the Key of G or sumthing just mess around with some scales realted to the key your in mix it up with your riff and add rythem, old style sepultura are good at rythem riffs check em out
Learn more theory via my sig. Watch the Friedman video as well; some of those ideas could be applied to songwriting and not just soloing.

Once you learn how music works, you can figure out what Metallica is doing in those songs and begin to write your own material. Most of what you write will either suck or be good but used in a different context than you originally planned.

Just remember that the first song you write won't be "Stairway to Heaven." In fact, before you try to write thrash and metal, write stuff like "Brown Eyed Girl" to get a feel of how instruments and melodies fit in the context of an entire song, albeit a simple song.

Edit: Ignore anyone who tells you not to learn theory. Your ear is the ultimate judge of what you should play, but why not learn what musicians have discovered over the last 500 years in a simple article instead of doing 500 years of work yourself?
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Aug 31, 2008,
Quote by Horny-Egg
In my opinion i dont like thinking about scales and shizz, just use your brain and ears.
Play what you think sounds good and put some emotion into it-this is what makes REAL music.
As for thrash use power chords and like down pick galloping
Very fast =P

Hope that helps

Also what he said
Most important: Listen to a lot of music, a lot of different music, and try to absorb the different styles.

Metallica is great, but try Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax. Also try another sub-genres of metal.

As a guide line, and this is based solely on my personal likings, try Emperor for Black Metal, Children of Bodom/In Flames for Melodic Death Metal, Sonata Arctica for Power Metal and Nightwish for Symphonic Metal.

[]
Guitars:
Jackson WRXT + EMG 81/85
Les Paul
Ibanez SZ320
Amps:
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 30X
Effects:
Dunlop Cry-baby
Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive
Synthetizer:
Roland EXR-5
Making good sounding music can't be taught.
They'll teach you very cookie cutter approaches to anything in music school. It's with listening to other artists and experimenting playing on your own that you'll make something you'll really enjoy.

Do you want to be you or just another ripoff band. Because I'm sure you can do that pretty easily like the majority of little metal bands
Quote by cocky_rooster
Making good sounding music can't be taught.
They'll teach you very cookie cutter approaches to anything in music school. It's with listening to other artists and experimenting playing on your own that you'll make something you'll really enjoy.

Do you want to be you or just another ripoff band. Because I'm sure you can do that pretty easily like the majority of little metal bands

I don't want to sound like other metal bands. Just get the same "feeling" of other bands.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by bangoodcharlote
Learn more theory via my sig. Watch the Friedman video as well; some of those ideas could be applied to songwriting and not just soloing.

Once you learn how music works, you can figure out what Metallica is doing in those songs and begin to write your own material. Most of what you write will either suck or be good but used in a different context than you originally planned.

Just remember that the first song you write won't be "Stairway to Heaven." In fact, before you try to write thrash and metal, write stuff like "Brown Eyed Girl" to get a feel of how instruments and melodies fit in the context of an entire song, albeit a simple song.

Edit: Ignore anyone who tells you not to learn theory. Your ear is the ultimate judge of what you should play, but why not learn what musicians have discovered over the last 500 years in a simple article instead of doing 500 years of work yourself?

Yup I agree 100% mainly with the last section ,nice take on a Socrates quote

(" Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for. " )
" Nature has given us two ears, two eyes, and but one tongue-to the end that we should hear and see more than we speak. "
- Socrates

Winner of the John Lewis and Cambridgeshire Music young musician Award 2008
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Always use you ear (what sounds good), your head (what you know sounds good, aka theory) and your heart (your emotions). One is NOT more important than the other.

/mozart paraphrases
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
I'm not satisfied with the music I am making. Whenever I make a riff it sounds predictable or just plain amateurish. I want to make Thrash Metal song and I have been taking influences from Metallica's:"Hit the lights, Battery, Creeping Death". I want to make songs like these: Songs you can just rock out to but are catchy metal songs. So what are some advice I can use to help me become a better guitarist? Scales, Tunings, Techniques that can help? I know some music theory but not a lot and I don't know what to do to make a song sound like the songs mentioned above. Many thanks if you can help me.

Do you know any songs? Meaning can you play them by memory and make them sound like the original?

If you can do that, you won't have any trouble writing riffs in that style. You need some real experience playing before you will be able to write that way.

Quote by bangoodcharlote

Because you cant learn what musicians have discovered over the last 500 years in a simple article.

Learning theory takes time. You start with the basics and work your way up. You don't read the UG theory sticky and then all of the sudden understand theory. At least not to the degree that would help him with the question as stated in the original post.

Also the Freidman video requires that you at the very least have an understanding of the fundamentals. I could be wrong, but I believe someone that is asking how to write a metallica riff probably doesn't have that background.

I would certainly recommend that the TS look into theory, but the answer to his dilemma can be gained through the experience of learning and playing music. Eventually (and it will take awhile), his theory knowledge will become advanced enough to be useful, but the very basics will not answer his question.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 1, 2008,
Play, play, play, play, play, play, play.

Practice, practice, practice...

Play, play, play, play, play, play, play.

And then you'll have an musical idea you like.

Then repeat the process. Learning music theory is a great aid, and it's not necessarily difficult to get a lot out of it quickly. Try looking at the 2 lessons in my sig. Give them a week or two to sink in and play about lots and then keep searching for knowledge and inspiration.

Check out GM's lessons actually, just had a proper look through some of the basic ones and they aren't bad.
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke

Songwriting is skill. Skill that you can practice. Write 10 songs. And you will be getting better. One day you'll write song you will be satisfied with.

Practice technique. Learn theory. Listen to many kinds of music.

Good luck.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Don't think about the theory you've learned when writing, do it by ear. Use the theory as a way to know what you are doing, not a guide for how to write. It's not meant to be the latter.

Think of stuff in your head and try to transfer it to guitar, don't just chug away hoping something good will come out, think and listen!