First off, yes I've searched, maybe I've used the wrong words but whatever, at least I tried.

Why is a Gibson Les Paul Standard $2,000 (approx) and an Epiphone les paul 500$ ?(approx) I mean, I know Gibsons are USA made but I hardly believe that adds 1500$ of value to a guitar, I'm talking more from a material standpoint. Is it just the name so they can get away with it? Or is it actually AAAA quality wood that is worth so much more to so many people?
Its production quality, but also the brand name... Gibson is huge and very recognizeable, so therefore people will associate Gibson with high quality and then that "justifies" the high price...
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Because people will pay what they charge.
Once you've established your product as a brand name you can rape people financially and they'll feel priviledged.

Are they quality instruments? Absolutely but I'm sure the gap between them and other manufacturers is greatly exaggerated.
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
They're overpriced. They're like 800 dollar guitars, with the rest of the money spent on the American crafting, and the Gibson name. American's tend to rant on about Chinese made guitars and such anyway. (Not saying you all do, I just tend to see it a lot.. Just because something isn't made in America, doesn't mean it's bad guys. Get over it.)
Signatures are overrated.
most gibsons will sounds a lot better too y'know.. of course gibson aren't justified in their prices, but they're forgiven, because they're lovely
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by Khit
First off, yes I've searched, maybe I've used the wrong words but whatever, at least I tried.

Why is a Gibson Les Paul Standard $2,000 (approx) and an Epiphone les paul 500$ ?(approx) I mean, I know Gibsons are USA made but I hardly believe that adds 1500$ of value to a guitar, I'm talking more from a material standpoint. Is it just the name so they can get away with it? Or is it actually AAAA quality wood that is worth so much more to so many people?

It's three parts name, and one part build/material quality. But yeah, it's mostly name.
Quote by Khit

Simple, because people are willing to pay the extra $1500 for the Gibson name. It's also the same reason why people are willing to pay $500 for the Epiphone as opposed to $200. The materials required to build even a great guitar are quite cheap (i mean come on, it's wood, not gold) so the real cost comes from perceived value and to a limited degree, craftsmanship. It's the same reason why people value antiques, not really for the cost of material but for the sentimental value.
I'm lookig at an epiphone SG for about $900 or so bucks LESS than an authentic one.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
They are overpriced.... simple as that. Most people will pay more knowing that their guitar is a Gibson.

Not that they are not quality instruments, that they are for sure, but other manufacturers make instruments that are just as good at much lower prices.

IMHO only a vintage Gibson would justify such a high price tag, and they do..... the most desirable ones easily going for 5 or 6 figures.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Because their target audience can afford it (i.e old people who want to get their groove back). Guitars for the popular types of music now are cheaper (schecter, Ibanez, ESP).
Quote by Toniofalcon
Because their target audience can afford it (i.e old people who want to get their groove back). Guitars for the popular types of music now are cheaper (schecter, Ibanez, ESP).

Yeah, I've been looking at ibanez's, but all they have at my local music store is 400$ RG's. I guess I'll have to go to a Guitar Center in America to look for more. ( I Live in Canada kind of near the boarder...) Why are there no GC's in Canada?
I always wondered that as well...

I owned an Epiphone Les Paul Custom at one time and found it to be a really nice guitar! I always fancied a Les Paul but could never justify spending the kind of money a Standard would have cost and "so what" if the guitars were made in Korea or China or wherever. The architecture of the guitar didn't change...the materials are a bit different but the sound is pretty dang good for the money!

I liked it while I had it and if I were ever in a position to buy a true Custom or Standard I probably would but if you're on a budget the Epiphone is perfectly fine!
bc so many proffesional musicians use them, people see them in concerts and on tv all the time, making people want to be like them, no matter what it costs. of course they are made of good material, but the prices ARE inflated.
If i was an was a entrepreneur, i would start a guitar company of my own. Our guitars would be made of the highest quality lumber, with good pickups, and every one of them would be made by machines. There is no reason why guitars could not be mass produced with minimal human work put in to the mix for a very cheap production and materials cost. I would then sell these guitars a signifigant amount less than comparable quality guitars go for, and make a killing. But i have neither the money nor the patience to pull it off.
Why is a Lambo so expencive?

It's made of more expencive parts, many people want one, they're cool, and above all, lots of famous people drive them.

Why is a Gibson so expencive?

It's made of more expencive materials, many people want one, they're cool, and above all, lots of famous people play them.

Gee, those two statements look very alike, right?