I'm looking for heavier/thicker sounding pickups for my HSS strat capable of playing thrash/death metal I play like Pantera, Children of Bodom... while also keeping that good clean, typical strat tone.

Any help on finding these ? (Duncans or DiMarzios would be good no?)

PS : I'm playing through a Traynor YCV50
Last edited by slappyx at Sep 1, 2008,
maybe an emg-81 in the bridge, and 2 emg SA 's in the middle and neck position? If not maybe a duncan custom or a duncan jb

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

*what id do*

replace the single coils with some lace sensors, theyre humbucking single coils, great deep sound.

and the humbucker on it probably isnt TOO bad...but if money isnt an issue: blackouts.
CoB and Pantera are hardly nu-metal.

Emgs or blackouts are you best bet. Alexi has used both.
Gear
Jackson Dinky DKMGT Transparent Black
Is that traynor SS or tube? I don't know Traynors but if its SS don't waste time upgrading the pickup as it probably won't sound very different with the gain cranked, like you probably are doing, to get metal tones.

Tube is where the pickups really come into play, if it is a tube amp then I would recommend an emg 81. Thats basically the standard issue metal bridge pickup.
Quote by nathanhimmerich
*what id do*

replace the single coils with some lace sensors, theyre humbucking single coils, great deep sound.

and the humbucker on it probably isnt TOO bad...but if money isnt an issue: blackouts.

They're not humbuckers. If you didn't know that, then you have probably never tried them.

I have a set of lace sensors in my strat. They are great and can get high gain tones, but if you don't care about versatility and will mainly be playing heavy stuff then there are a lot better options. I bought them to make a hard rocking strat that can do all styles of music- which they do but there are better p'ups for just metal.
Quote by daryle_goh
if you don't want to go active here are my reccomendations

DiMarzio X2N

Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader

or this: i actually bought this one. and i find it's really powerful for a passive
http://www.wdmusic.com/motherbucker_double_pickup_29727_prd1.htm

I agree . I intend to do this on my HSS strat when I get one

EDIT: plus, you can have a look at some Hot Rails for the single coils position ?
Quote by supergerbil
I have a set of lace sensors in my strat. They are great and can get high gain tones, but if you don't care about versatility and will mainly be playing heavy stuff then there are a lot better options. I bought them to make a hard rocking strat that can do all styles of music- which they do but there are better p'ups for just metal.

As I said in the beginning, i would like to keep the clean blues tone i've already got on my strat. I bought it originally to play blues and classic rock but I'm kind of attracted to metal currently.

I'm looking for VERSATILE pickups that keep that tone while adding some more punch,gain to play metal.

Btw, I already heard about hot rails, they're said to be great single coils for hi-gain, but I don't know if it's still good for softer things...
Any other recommandations for single coils ?
Last edited by slappyx at Sep 1, 2008,
why don't you just use a distortion pedal for the metal moments, that way you can easily revert back to the classic strat cleans.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
why don't you just use a distortion pedal for the metal moments, that way you can easily revert back to the classic strat cleans.

Because DS pedals usually suck (unless they're expensive...) and I prefer pushing the amp with an overdrive pedal since I always find the DS tones too undefined.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Hot Rails aren't single coils. If you want to keep your clean blues tone, don't change the single coils. Just change the bridge humbucker.

Yeah right... got trapped by the "single-coil size..." :P
Yeah Hotrails aren't gonna give you good clean tone...I have a Hotrails in my bridge and it's quite heavy with distortion, but its cleans sound like poop. However, I do have my neck pickup to give me great cleans...your best bet really is to just change one pickup (bridge) to something hotter, and leave the rest of your pickups to do your other work - there's a reason you have more than one pickup.
crazy talking animals
i'd second the Seymour Duncan Custom Custom. it would give you good cleans and can do metal as well. perfect for strats.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
I was thinking about Dimarzio SuperDistorsion DP100 for the bridge and Dimarzio YMJ for the middle/neck that are both said to be excellent in their own domain... though YMJs are pretty weak compared to DP100 high-output, I'm afraid I will unbalance the overall sound of my axe

What do you think ?
Oh, if you want versatility then I definitily recommend lace sensors. They still have single coil character but have a warmth that usually comes with buckers. The red bridge is strat like when clean (but with less treble) but sounds great when overdriven. The blue neck has a fair bit of bass but still has single coil crispness.
Quote by supergerbil
Oh, if you want versatility then I definitily recommend lace sensors. They still have single coil character but have a warmth that usually comes with buckers. The red bridge is strat like when clean (but with less treble) but sounds great when overdriven. The blue neck has a fair bit of bass but still has single coil crispness.

now why again did you knock down my interjection about lace sensors being ideal?

Quote by slappyx
I was thinking about Dimarzio SuperDistorsion DP100 for the bridge and Dimarzio YMJ for the middle/neck that are both said to be excellent in their own domain... though YMJs are pretty weak compared to DP100 high-output, I'm afraid I will unbalance the overall sound of my axe

What do you think ?

Super Distortions, IMO, have this fizzy quality that really only make them suitable for 80's metal.
Quote by nathanhimmerich
now why again did you knock down my interjection about lace sensors being ideal?

Because you said they were humbuckers...