Thinking in terms of "chord scales" c-dm-em-f-g-am-bdim

What chords do you use for Harmonic minor and Melodic minor?
in A harmonic minor

A minor (min/maj 7th)
B diminshed (m7b5)
C augmented
D minor (minor 7th)
E major (dominant 7th)
F major (major 7th)
G# diminshed (diminished 7th)

and I've forgotten the ones for the melodic minor

its fun the sneak in that major chord on the 5th in regular minor songs too
Last edited by seljer at Aug 31, 2008,
Thank you! if it was G it would be

G minor (min/maj 7th)
A diminshed (m7b5)
Bb augmented

ect ect right?
Quote by newguitars08
Thank you! if it was G it would be

G minor (min/maj 7th)
A diminshed (m7b5)
Bb augmented

ect ect right?

Just in case you're seeking confirmation, yes that's correct.
Quote by RCalisto

btw melodic minor sucks

For making chord progressions, kinda. Melodic minor isn't really meant to be used to make chords (hence melodic), while harmonic is (hence... harmonic).
Quote by newguitars08
Thinking in terms of "chord scales" c-dm-em-f-g-am-bdim

What chords do you use for Harmonic minor and Melodic minor?
I hope you know your scale/chord degrees. If you dont, sorry.

Just remember that when writing in minor keys, you usually use elements of all of the minor scales (melodic, harmonic and natural) instead of just the one.

So the chords to use in minor scales are:
i
ii or ii0 (half diminished)
bIII or bIII+*
iv
V
bVI or vi and possibly a vi0 (vi is best if the next or previous chord is a bVII or vii0 chord)
vii0 (full diminished) or bVII^

*I've heard from some guys that the bIII+ moves well to and from V and iv chords. I dont really think so, but if you like this than use it like this. Otherwise, just dont use it, augmented chords sound yuck.

^Although its best to use a vii0 chord as it resolves really well to the i chord, you can use a bVII chord if the previous chord is a bVI chord and you wish to shift into a phrygian dominant progression sort of thing. Think of a sort of V-bVI-thing
I've also seen a bVII chord being used straight after an i chord for some sort of downwards movement. I dont really like this, but you might.

It would be nice to say, "you can only use the chords from the haromonic minor scale when writing minor based music." IMO, thats bullshit.
Alot of guys dont like augmented chords or half diminished second degree chords (namely, me), and so many classical sources you will find will say that you cant use these chords in minor music (you'll find alot of classical sources "forbidding" stuff in music). But than again, other guys will say these chords are actually good and serve a good purpose (Andy, I think, gave the idea of a V-III+ movement). It's all a matter of opinion.

Any discrepancies and I'll either argue aggressively or humbly edit my post.

Quote by RCalisto
btw melodic minor sucks
Like most other things, its not the tool thats the problem (or how big said tool is ) but the way you use it.