HI
first : i never saw those in any shop, but a lot on internet.
second : i'm not that good in amp

so how does it work?
here is what i mentally found, but i'm not sure
for example if i bought a
Mesa boogie Rectifier recording Preamp
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/RectoPreAmps/RectoPreAmp.html

will i need a power amp?
and is this(marshall el84-20-20 a power amp?
http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=EL84-20-20

and now would i get a 20 watt rectifier, or am-i totally wrong?
The preamp produces the tone of the guitar and the power amp amplifies it to audible output levels, so is only needed for live playing and microphone recoding etc. The preamp can be used by itself for direct recording or even live if a DI box is used to amplify it through the PA system
ohai little sig.
Quote by Demonikk
The preamp produces the tone of the guitar and the power amp amplifies it to audible output levels, so is only needed for live playing etc. The preamp can be used by itself for recording or even live if a DI box is used so amplify it through the PA system

Exactly right.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
but for live performance, would i need a power amp or not?
thanks for answering
only if there wasnt an option to DI into the PA...the preamp produces NO REAL VOLUME just TONES....if you go live and there no BIG PA SYSTEM youll need an AMPLIFER and SPEAKERS of course...

The 2nd picture on th epage explaining the Preamp shows the rear panal of the unit there is a LVE OUT LEFT/RIGHT to a POWER AMP (PWR AMP) on the back of a POWER AMP there will be SPEAKER OUTS which will feed the AMPLIFIED SIGNAL to ...SPEAKERS ( a CAB)
If there was a PA involved at a LIVE SHOW you could technically leave your SPEAKERS (CAB) home and go from a DI box, or i believe the RECORD OUT to MIXING CONSOLE would work....correct me if im wrong guys....

LOOKS SWEET GOOD LUCK !
Last edited by HATe410 at Aug 31, 2008,
Quote by jebus19
but for live performance, would i need a power amp or not?
thanks for answering

If you want to use it like a traditional amp, then yes. If you don't mind using a DI box so that the sounds comes straight out of the PA then no.
First setup would be guitar >>> Preamp >>> Power amp >>> sound
Second would be guitar >>> Preamp >>> DI box >>> PA >>> sound
ohai little sig.
i cant help but notice you want that marshall POWER AMP and thats all good but they make huge ones for -$600 like 1000+watts and they will sound good because your feeding them a high quality TONE they are designed NOT TO COLOR the sound just make it well louder...