AVT Series?
They're not the best marshall's around but they're better than the MG's in my opinion.
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony/Gold
Jackson RR5 Ivory w/Black Pinstripes
Epiphone Les Paul 100 *For Sale*
Yamaha FX370C
Marshall AVT150HX + AVT4x12
Look used for that price. And raise your price.

Stay away from MGs, AVTs, and VS models.
Mode Four as well (apparently)

What genres/styles are you playing? There might be a better option.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Unless you can find a used all tube one for the price, I'd recommend you look elsewhere. Peavey Valveking and Classic 30 as well at the Laney VC15 are great amps, but it would be useful if you gave us more info like what music you play and intended use (home, live etc.)
ohai little sig.
You could probably get something marshall-voiced for cheaper than a low end marshall. I don't think you can find anything good by marshall for that price unless something's wrong with it.
Its not really worth it to buy a Marshall if $400 is all you have to spend.

The AVT series is ok, the MG's don't sound THAT bad until you've played a real amp. But if you want a Marshall, I'd try to save up at least $1000. Old 2205s combos will go for around $800. JCM900 2500 (the MKIIIs) will go for a similar price, but will require a cab which is another $400-$600 at least for a decent one.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 31, 2008,
Quote by al112987
Its not really worth it to buy a Marshall if $400 is all you have to spend.

The AVT series is ok, the MG's don't sound THAT bad until you've played a real amp. But if you want a Marshall, I'd try to save up at least $1000.

I agree, and to add to my earlier post, dont get an AVT or MG if you want to go really loud. They clip like an absolute b*****d!
Good for just room practicing, or if your going through a p.a.
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony/Gold
Jackson RR5 Ivory w/Black Pinstripes
Epiphone Les Paul 100 *For Sale*
Yamaha FX370C
Marshall AVT150HX + AVT4x12
Quote by Metfan1991
I agree, and to add to my earlier post, dont get an AVT or MG if you want to go really loud. They clip like an absolute b*****d!
Good for just room practicing, or if your going through a p.a.

Oh god, I know, I can't turn my AVT50 up past 4 or so without the tone going to hell. But thats actually plenty loud for practice and small gigs.

Its fine though, I use my JTM 45 at higher volumes anyway (inputs jumpered, high treble channel dimed, normal channel at around 4-5, ie. loud as hell), and it starts breaking up at around the same point as the AVT50 (around 4 or so). But after getting used to that, I honestly can barely stand to play the AVT50 these days.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 31, 2008,
yo, if your really desperate, you can buy my marshall park series for $200. i just really want to get rid of it more than anything i feel a fair warning is in order though, because it really isnt a very good amp, although it does sound a good deal better than the MG's i've played
My Rig:

Schecter C-1+
Washburn X12QVS
Ibanez RG7321
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic-Electric
Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Crate Practice Amp
Marshall G80CDR
Maxon OD808
Quote by sglover34479
OK, then. I play a lot of AC/DC but I also play some metal so I need a good crunch. I want some thing with decent tone and maybe some effects built in but they aren't a deal breaker.

Most good amps that are not Hughes and Kettener usually do not have FX other than reverb built in.

400 bucks?

If you can look used,
Traynor YCV50 (amazingly marshall crunch)
Peavey Classic 30 (preety crunchy, if you crank the preamp all the way up it can easily do metal)
Crate V-33 (these are onsale mad cheap on musicians friend.. THey are more american voiced for what you are playing so unless you get an overdrive pedal, i would not reccomend them)
Crate Palimino V32 (these are out of production, very british voiced, I saw a 32 going for 200 one time)
Quote by i_am_the_movie
yo, if your really desperate, you can buy my marshall park series for $200. i just really want to get rid of it more than anything i feel a fair warning is in order though, because it really isnt a very good amp, although it does sound a good deal better than the MG's i've played

Dude, my avatar!!! Had it since April 2005.

To the TS, why do you need a Marshall amp? Look up some other brands in your price range, ones that sound better and are more effective. Marshalls are not worth it up until the TSL/DSL series and above.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by Highwaytohell
Most good amps that are not Hughes and Kettener usually do not have FX other than reverb built in.

400 bucks?

If you can look used,
Traynor YCV50 (amazingly marshall crunch)
Peavey Classic 30 (preety crunchy, if you crank the preamp all the way up it can easily do metal)
Crate V-33 (these are onsale mad cheap on musicians friend.. THey are more american voiced for what you are playing so unless you get an overdrive pedal, i would not reccomend them)
Crate Palimino V32 (these are out of production, very british voiced, I saw a 32 going for 200 one time)

That was amazing.
All the perfect suggestions