http://www.tikiking.com/images/real_circle_of_fifthspg

I just can't get this damn circle into my thick skull, I re-read and re-read the beginning music theory lesson part of this (I haven't went farther than the CO5 and key signature stuff because I want to understand this before skipping over this). I don't understand, like how do we use CO5, we actually go clockwise for fifth intervals? and how can we understand that the key of C has no sharp or flats? And how exactly does this help with major scales, I understand the WWHWWWH thing. As I discovered, you actually go from note to note in 5 spaces, like starting from C at the top around clockwise count 1-2-3-4-5 and that would be B then 1-2-3-4-5 again to Bb then A and so on and so forth. Did I do that right? and what is this sharp F C G D A E B and flat B E A D G C F mean? I thought C had no sharp or flats? oh sht this is driving me up a wall, please explain this for me
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
C is at the top in the middle because it has no # and no b. as we move clock wise a semi circle around we ad 1 sharp in the next key. the next key's root note is a 5th away from the previous keys root note. i e the 5th of C is G and when we make G the root note we add 1 # to the key

and exactly the same thing a semi circle moving counter clock wise moving in fourths adding 1 flat to each key
song stuck in my head today

Ohhhh a semi-circle, ok. This lesson here on UG said nothing about a semicircle whatsoever, Thank you Sublime. And manmanster, I don't have a music theory class, I've been self-teaching myself, k?

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
-Shopping list-
Last edited by XxDre09xX at Aug 31, 2008,
Aye, it's a semi circle. The FCGDAEB thing is the actual notes that are sharp. C has no sharps, so it has nothing, next is G. Seeing as G has 1 sharp; that sharp is F. Next is D, so two sharps: F and C. And so on and so on.
theres 3 C scales. C either has nore sharps and flats, or all sharps in flats.
order of sharps and flats are given in the order the circle goes.
for some reason, the order that the circle goes is also the order in which u arrange the key signature. so if ur in the key of Bb, ur key sig must say Bb and Eb in that order. idk why, theory says so i guess. a little better?
-that guy
1 extra thing

usually when you move to the left of the circle it is called the circle of fourths but you are actually still moving in 5th's. the 4th is a 5th below the root but i guess people just find it easier to count ascending in a scale.

also when you descend in a scale you generally b(flatten) a note where as ascending you sharpen

so descending= b notes and ascending = #notes

so moving to the left you move from C down a fifth to F and you get a flat in the scale

hence the circle of fifths and not the circle of 4th's/5th's
song stuck in my head today

Quote by bangoodcharlote
It is well explained and peer reviewed in the link in my sig. See if that helps you.

Yea, that is the same lesson that I was talking about. got stuck on 5.0

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
-Shopping list-
Quote by XxDre09xX
Yea, that is the same lesson that I was talking about. got stuck on 5.0
Read through it and try to approach it like you're working example problems from your math book. After you've done that a few times, then feel free to ask a specific question...really figure out what you do and do not get. It may be that there's a typo in the lesson...who knows!