Im really confused about improvisation and that sort of thing,
I know that people play scales over certain chords but I dont understand how they make it sound good? I mean if i were to play the Chords Em-D-C-E I know the scale would be C major, but I just dont understand how its done? Like do they just play the C major scale up and down until the chords are finished? Or what? Sorry if this is a really nooby question it's just something I feel I need answered to advance myself as a musician. =/
But thank you in advance
I appreciate the link RCalisto, but I cannot watch videos on my computer for a few days, my audio card is fried .
im sort of in the same position, but if you were in a position were you were just jamming with somebody or at an open mic night, try and find the beat of what theyre doing and go along with it as best you can,ive done something similar as long as you have a good sense of rythm its just a matter of practicing scales on your own
Quote by Joshuadude
Im really confused about improvisation and that sort of thing,
I know that people play scales over certain chords but I dont understand how they make it sound good? I mean if i were to play the Chords Em-D-C-E I know the scale would be C major, but I just dont understand how its done? Like do they just play the C major scale up and down until the chords are finished? Or what? Sorry if this is a really nooby question it's just something I feel I need answered to advance myself as a musician. =/
But thank you in advance

isn't the D minor chord in the Cmajor scale? instead of D, just saying.
ADD

Check out my self-recorded demos on my profile!!! C4C

Separation is an illusion.
well.. you're not going up and down the scale only... you're basically finding something that you feel matches with the track and then you're adding something to it. find the beat and then divide it.. it takes practice really, the more you practice with jam tracks the better youll get at it and the easier youll find improv to be. you HAVE to keep at it though
you should try to stay away from scales for a little bit and just use your ear to play.. put on the track, close your eyes and just try to find notes on the neck that go with what you're hearing.. use your ear to guide you. this really helps.. its frustrating and might be very difficult at first but it pays off
If the chords were Em C D and E i don't think you would be in any specific key. If they were Em C Dm and Em it would be C major in third position (I don't know the Italian names) I think. Or you could follow the chord, Ex:
Em- use E G and B mainly
C- use C E and G mainly
Dm- use D F and A mainly
etc., etc.
Hope that helps.
First off, you're going to be playing in E minor, not C major.

Second, read the second link in bangoodcharlote's sig.