... and when I say that, I don't mean good.

My high E string is so gone... and I've read everything about intonating on UG and other websites. I've tried everything, but my saddles don't go far enough. My E will be in perfect tune in open and harmonic, and the I 12th fret it, and it goes flat, wherever I put the saddles. Same with the B. Every other string is relatively normal.

I'm restringing my guitar tomorrow though. I've had the strings on for a while now, and they're pretty corroded and junk. Is it this, or is it another, maybe more serious problem?

BTW I have a Fender HSS Strat.
Did you replace the neck, because maybe the scale length is off. (Although it doesn't sound like it because the other strings are fine..)

P.S. I laughed at the thread title.
Weekend Warrior
It could be the crusty strings. Intonation is one of the first things to go with old strings.
Quote by ML_Guitar09
Did you replace the neck, because maybe the scale length is off. (Although it doesn't sound like it because the other strings are fine..)

P.S. I laughed at the thread title.

No, I've never done anything to drastic to my guitar, except draw an Om on the pickguard with a Sharpie, put some kind of protector coat thing on it (the pickguard) and put it back on. Nothing else really.

It's my first, and only guitar. It's got that sentimental value to it.

And I'm glad I got a laugh out of you.

EDIT- I'll change the strings tomorrow, because I'm tired, and I don't want to start what can be a long and tedious task right now.

I'll report back to you all.
Last edited by guitarkid2113 at Aug 31, 2008,
Quote by guitarkid2113
... and when I say that, I don't mean good.

My high E string is so gone... and I've read everything about intonating on UG and other websites. I've tried everything, but my saddles don't go far enough.

Saddles have a limited range for compensation. If you've shortened the string as far as the saddle will go, and your intonation is still coming up flat, lowering the action on that string will bring it in range. But I don't know, you may already have your action very low. In which case you need to adjust the truss rod so that you can lower the saddle more, but then it starts becoming a fairly big job. I had this problem once on one of my Les Pauls. I needed to lengthen the string, but the saddle just came short at it's most extreme. So I completely took the saddle off, and put it on the wrong way around. This gave me that tiny bit of extra range I needed. Depending on your guitar (you'd need a TOM bridge for that), you could try it.
Quote by Martin Scott
Saddles have a limited range for compensation. If you've shortened the string as far as the saddle will go, and your intonation is still coming up flat, lowering the action on that string will bring it in range. But I don't know, you may already have your action very low. In which case you need to adjust the truss rod so that you can lower the saddle more, but then it starts becoming a fairly big job. I had this problem once on one of my Les Pauls. I needed to lengthen the string, but the saddle just came short at it's most extreme. So I completely took the saddle off, and put it on the wrong way around. This gave me that tiny bit of extra range I needed. Depending on your guitar (you'd need a TOM bridge for that), you could try it.

Ehh, I don't even want to think about touching the truss rod, or even the saddles. My action isn't TOO low, but I think I'll lower it just cause I like the feeling of lower action.

I'll try it all out tomorrow.

And what could substitute for an allen wrench that's really small to adjust the action? I don't have any allen wrenchs.
Its just the old strings, this always happens to me with old rusty strings.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
your trem might not be balanced. make it so that the trem is parallel to the body, then mess with the saddles

edit: nvm you fixed it
Quote by ironman1478
your trem might not be balanced. make it so that the trem is parallel to the body, then mess with the saddles

edit: nvm you fixed it

Yeah, and the trem is parallel.

I don't even know how to undo that.

The guy at GuitarCenter set it that way. He asked me if I wanted it different but I was a noob at the time and didn't know.