I've been really liking the Phrygian mode (in E, so the third mode of the C major scale?), and am looking for a song in said key to solo over. Suggestions?
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
I suggest learning what a mode is; your knowledge is flawed and there are many resources in MT. First, read the theory link in my sig. Second, run a search and look for posts by Archeo Avis and me.

So why are you wrong? A mode is not a position, but rather a group of notes in a harmonic context given either by the backing chords, which is usually a 2 or 3 chord proression, or chords implied by your melody. If you are given a C major progression, you will solo over it with a C scale, not E Phrygian.
To answer your question...

Mr. Kirk Hammett likes the Phyrgian mode! Search through some Metallica and you're sure to find some stuff you can play in E Phyrgian over.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by ramm_ty
To answer your question...

Mr. Kirk Hammett likes the Phyrgian mode! Search through some Metallica and you're sure to find some stuff you can play in E Phyrgian over.
Not really. He uses a lot of Natural Minor and Blues. Please provide examples of his E Phrygian solos.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Not really. He uses a lot of Natural Minor and Blues. Please provide examples of his E Phrygian solos.

Sure, let me go see. There are a number of Metallica tunes in the key of E that make use of a b2 and a b3 that should be fine to solo over with Phrygian.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
The Wherever I May Roam solo is in E Phyrgian...
The solo in The Thing That Should Not Be is in D Phyrgian...

Aside from that...most of the leads were Natural Minor/Blues. So I guess you're correct.

On the other hand, you COULD play E Phyrgian over many of the riffs/sections in songs such as Trapped Under Ice, Creeping Death, Ride the Lightning, Battery and much more for just a dollar seventy five.

PLUS SHIPPING

But seriously, there are a zillion Metallica riffs with E and F power chords. Play Phyrgian over them.
Quote by TGautier13
Last edited by ramm_ty at Aug 31, 2008,