Okay, so this might sound "n00bish" but I've never been in a band long enough to have microphones and vocals.

So, what is all that I would need to add microphones to my band? (probably 2 or 3 mics) What kind of mics do I need?

Also, how much would this cost?

Sorry if there is already a thread, I used the searchbar and found nothing.
Standard types of vocal mics include a Sennheiser e835 or Shure SM58. Scope out your local craigslist or eBay to find a couple of them in a lot for slightly cheaper. You'll also need XLR cables, of course. You can find them for around 50 bucks sometimes. 90-100 brand new.

For now, i would get a keyboard amp that can take a few inputs - should say like 4-channel or something. It would be cheaper. Also look used. I see used Peavey and Roland ones lying around our local craigslist.org all the time. Keyboard amps are going to be transparent so that vocals sound...well...like your vocals.
If your keyboard amp only has 1/4" jacks, you'll also need a XLR-to-1/4" converter.
A Shure SM58 or 58A will work well on a budget, but if you have the money then you can get a quality condenser mic. Also I suppose you could use a guitar amp, but again if you have the money you'll want a cheap Behringer or Yamaha MG mixer as well as some speakers. Keyboard amp will work well, minimum distortion or overall effect on the sound.

Oh, and to answer your question, I'm not exactly sure of the difference but condenser mics work well for vocals while dynamic mics work better for micing amps and drums.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by ewsrocks
Any idea about how many watt keyboard amp I should use?

I'd say like.
100+? You don't want it clipping.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by ewsrocks
What is the difference between a condenser and dynamic mic?

in simple terms, a dynamic mic general is designed to pickup up one sound, in one direction, never (rarely) needs to be powered, and can withstand very high SPLs.
a condenser mic can pickup the sound of an entire band, or even room. it can only withstand smaller SPLs, and often needs phantom powered.
dynamics are great for the standard rock sound, a mic right on the speaker cab.
condenser sound great for warmer RnB vocals, as well as jazz guitar, usually more of a "room" sound.

edit/ for your price range, you will only want dynamic mics for live singing. they will only be uni-directional, so they only pickup what there pointing to.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Sep 1, 2008,
How are condenser mics powered? Would I need to buy a power supply thingy?
generally you would have a "phantom power" on your mixing board. some use batteries, and there are phantom powered boxes.
but you need not worry about it for now, you wont need a condenser anytime soon.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
So a Shure SM58 is a dynamic mic that won't need any power, correct?
It seems like a good mic, and there are quite a few on craigslist.

Edit: are there any other good mics that are well known (like the SM58) that I might find on craigslist for relatively cheap?
Last edited by ewsrocks at Sep 1, 2008,
the sm58 is perfect for live vocals.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Just get a sm-58
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs