Page 1 of 2
I always wanted a Gibson Les Paul, and specifically the Standard or Custom model. But now the "Robot" model has come out and it is a "Studio". Does it suck? What about those 490 and 498 pickups? Do they suck? I think the self-tuning gimmick is pretty neat, and those guitars have amazing finishes. But overall does the Studio suck? What about the chambering? The Gibson website says the chambering causes better sustain, but do you believe that? Bottom line: People on this board say if you want a Les Paul you need a Standard or a Custom, but why not the Studio? Does it suck?

short answer. No. It doens't suck. The pups are a little muddy, but they have power, the body is chambered, but so is every other les paul except the traditional. The finish is kinda thin, esp on the tuners and pups. But over all, if you find a good one. it's a solid guitar. Get new tuners for it though.

Gibby's quality control SUCKS. Buy one locally.

edit: and play a bunch of them. Thanks to Gibson's quality control, they all feel a little different. I've played two that look exactly the same that felt like a hello kitty guitar and a PRS with a fat neck.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Aug 31, 2008,
The Studio's don't sound right to me. They aren't bad in anyway, but I don't think they have that real LP sound that people strive for. That's my opinion. I've bought and sold multiple guitars because little things like the sound or the finish bug me. As for a Robot guitar... I think the novelty will wear thin after a while. If you like the tone you're getting then who cares?
i got a good one and i can vouch for it..its a good guitar. my tuners happened to be good ones also so i cant comment on a tuner change.

Try before you buy.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
They are fine. The quality control isn't as bad as most people think. They read things on the forums and then let their minds run wild. But you should test multiple of the same guitar for one that feels right. Even though it could be the exact same and I mean exact. One may feel more comfortable when you play it.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
the body is chambered, but so is every other les paul except the traditional.

The Traditional isn't chambered? It says it is on the site.

And yeah he's right. Play a lot of Les Pauls, they'll all probably be different, so just pick the one that you like the best.
Last edited by Mockingbird452 at Sep 1, 2008,
you have to try lots of studios to find one that fits you. standard production gibsons (studios, classics, standards, customs) all have issues with QC. But they're pretty good guitars. The pickups are garbage, but so are the burstbuckers that come in the standard.

I wouldn't even order a VOS without playing it first. Try it before you buy it, always. And always play it unplugged first. If it doesn't sound good unplugged, then its not a well built guitar. I bought mine back in 2002 or so, before the chambering came along. Its a pretty good guitar, I had to try 3 before I found the one that I liked and was willing to pay the money for. I don't like the chambering though, les pauls are supposed to have a bit of weight to them. They make the unplugged tone brighter and louder, thats always nice I guess.
This thread makes me laugh for so many reasons. If someone asked, "How's the LTD M-400?", replies would be like, "It's awesome!!! Buy it now!!1!!! Do ittttttt."

And now for some facts:

The Studio is a great guitar. Not just good - it's great. The pickups are not muddy by any means - actually, they are quite the opposite. Anyone that thinks they are muddy better unplug from the crappy amp they are using. Yes, the nitro finish is thin - it's supposed to be - that's supposed to help give the guitar its tone.

The LP Traditional is not chambered - it's weight relieved. Gibson has been weight relieving the Les Pauls since the 1980s. Weight-relieved Les Pauls have a bunch of swiss cheese holes drilled into the body.

This is an X-ray of a weight-relieved Les Paul:

This is a chambered Les Paul:
Last edited by Scream And Fly at Sep 1, 2008,
^Exactly.

I'm using a Gibson Les Paul Studi frm 1998. It is IMO the best guitar I have ever played. The finish might be thin, but as said it's supposed to. My guitar has great resonance and a slot of sustain. Just listen to the clip in my sig and judge the tone. Really it is an amazing Les Paul.

However as said Gibsons quality control can be a bit dodgy. Look up Edwards too, they're great!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I had a studio. It was a great guitar- no problems at all. The only reason I got rid of it is because I found myself loving the single coil sound of my strat instead. If you like humbucker equipped, warm guitars, then it's for you
Quote by Scream And Fly
This thread makes me laugh for so many reasons. If someone asked, "How's the LTD M-400?", replies would be like, "It's awesome!!! Buy it now!!1!!! Do ittttttt."

And now for some facts:

The Studio is a great guitar. Not just good - it's great. The pickups are not muddy by any means - actually, they are quite the opposite. Anyone that thinks they are muddy better unplug from the crappy amp they are using. Yes, the nitro finish is thin - it's supposed to be - that's supposed to help give the guitar its tone.

The LP Traditional is not chambered - it's weight relieved. Gibson has been weight relieving the Les Pauls since the 1980s. Weight-relieved Les Pauls have a bunch of swiss cheese holes drilled into the body.

I have to disagree about the pickups.

The 490R and 498T suck, especially the 490R. Replacing the neck pickup, with even a cheap Seymour Duncan '59 improved clarity by a significant amount.

and no, my amp isn't crappy either, this is putting them through a JTM 45.
I bought one less than a month ago and I love it, not a robot though....it did have its minor QC problems, there was a little spot on the fretboard like missing color or something, the tuners are alright and the pickups are awesome, if you are looking for a better LP sound maybe you can change them for the burstbuckers in the Standard or the ones in the Classic

The finish is pretty nice, is thin, but then again this isnt really your gigging guitar, I would get the wine red, and DONT GET the vintage mahogany

As for chambered, this guitar is not chambered, is weight relief, meaning it has some holes in the wood to make it easier on your back, and as far as im concerned doesnt make the sustain better or worse...

THIS is a "chambered body" supposed to add sustain and its easier on the back too

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/divisions/gibson%20usa/products/lespaul/supreme/

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
Last edited by tamargoguitar at Sep 1, 2008,
No, if you get a good one, you get the only Gibson LP that's worth it's price tag...IMO...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by tamargoguitar

The finish is pretty nice, is thin, but then again this isnt really your gigging guitar, I would get the wine red, and DONT GET the vintage mahogany

May I ask why? The Vintage Mahogany has one downside - it's uglier than a studio. And even that's arguable. The VM has pickups that are miles better than any stock Studio. The tuners are good and, like you said, as long as you get a quality one, you have a great guitar. There's no reason to skip over the VM.
Quote by drewfromutah
May I ask why? The Vintage Mahogany has one downside - it's uglier than a studio. And even that's arguable. The VM has pickups that are miles better than any stock Studio. The tuners are good and, like you said, as long as you get a quality one, you have a great guitar. There's no reason to skip over the VM.

I meant the finish of the Studio

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
I always thought that the studio guitars were designed to be used in the studio - i.e not have the stage appeal of the other gibsons...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they have pretty decent specs - it's just the looks that they downgrade...Like inlays, finishes etc...

I would imagine that they would be an awesome guitar.

Cheers,

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Quote by Scream And Fly

And now for some facts:

ZOMG. I'm never buying a gibson LP. in fact, the main thing I like about my Epi LP is that it weighs about 10 lbs.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Scream And Fly

And now for some facts:

Okay thanks for the explanation, I never knew that before you said this so thanks! And now I get what people mean by swiss cheeze.

But do the VOS series really have SOLID backs though? Or are the Weight Relieved guitars just hiding under the "solid body" name for the Custom Shop series?

Thanks!
The difference is just cosmetic, and the pickups are quite nice according to people who collect Les Pauls.
Quote by Chorduroy
But overall does the Studio suck?

They probably don't suck if you get an alright one. But they're not anything special.

Quote by Chorduroy
What about the chambering? The Gibson website says the chambering causes better sustain, but do you believe that?

I strongly believe that the chambering goes completely against the whole spirit, idea, and point to the Les Paul. I don't believe that chambering causes better sustain. If that were true, then why do the heavier, denser, vintage Les Pauls sustain way more than the modern ones? It's a lie. I actually believe that they chamber them in order to save money on shipping them around the world, but I have no proof.

Quote by Artemis Entreri
the body is chambered, but so is every other les paul except the traditional.

Not true. Up until this year, only the Supremes and other curiosity models were chambered. The Standards up until the new 2008 model were weight-relieved, which is different. All Les Pauls since it's reintroduction 1968, or since the 80s (sources differ) have been weight-relieved. Chambering is a whole different ball game, and strips most of the wood out from the mahogany back. A pre-2008 LP Standard is not chambered.
Quote by Martin Scott

Not true. Up until this year, only the Supremes and other curiosity models were chambered. The Standards up until the new 2008 model were weight-relieved, which is different. All Les Pauls since it's reintroduction 1968, or since the 80s (sources differ) have been weight-relieved. Chambering is a whole different ball game, and strips most of the wood out from the mahogany back. A pre-2008 LP Standard is not chambered.

So you mean that the Les Pauls that were made pre-2008 were 'Weight Relieved' not 'Chambered', right?. And are they NOW chambering the Les Pauls?

And if that's true, that makes me happier knowing that my Les Paul was only weight relieved, not chambered.

Sorry about all these questions about Weight Relieving and Chambering, I just want to get my info straight so I don't give wrong info to people. Thanks again.
Quote by Martin Scott

My bad, I meant weight relieved. Seriously.

And I agree with who ever said they don't sound quite like a real LP. They don't really. But they sound close enough unless you're a purist. They still sound like a Gibson guitar.

They don't suck.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Mockingbird452
So you mean that the Les Pauls that were made pre-2008 were 'Weight Relieved' not 'Chambered', right?. And are they NOW chambering the Les Pauls?

Yep. As stated all Les Pauls since at least the 80s (some sources say since the guitar's reintroduction in 1968, it's impossible to be sure which is right) have been weight-relieved. Your Les Paul is no different in this regard to say, the LP Slash used on Appetite For Destruction.

Quote by Artemis Entreri
And I agree with who ever said they don't sound quite like a real LP. They don't really. But they sound close enough unless you're a purist. They still sound like a Gibson guitar.

They don't suck.

It was me that said they don't sound like a real LP. Maybe they don't sound sh*t, but it's still not the guitar it's supposed to be. The weight-relieving was far enough. Why strip the entire inside of the guitar out? They've basically turned it into a hollow-body. As I stated before, I think it's to save on shipping costs to send the guitars to stores all over the world.
Last edited by Martin Scott at Sep 2, 2008,
Quote by HyperBoy2519
i got a good one and i can vouch for it..its a good guitar. my tuners happened to be good ones also so i cant comment on a tuner change.

Try before you buy.

same here. I have one and it sounds great and is well built. I bought it at a local shop where I played a number of them (none of them had QC issues by the way) and settled for the studio since it provided the most bang for the buck.
Mine's a '96 and IMO is one of the best guitars I've ever played. If you want a Studio try to get one from the 90's.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
I compared it head to head with all the LPs they had a guitar center (to see tone and feel) and you can tell what the outcome was by looking at my sig
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by FloyDZeD
Mine's a '96 and IMO is one of the best guitars I've ever played. If you want a Studio try to get one from the 90's.

Yeha, some of the 90's Lp studio's I've heard are sweet. never actually played one though.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Martin Scott
Yep. As stated all Les Pauls since at least the 80s (some sources say since the guitar's reintroduction in 1968, it's impossible to be sure which is right) have been weight-relieved. Your Les Paul is no different in this regard to say, the LP Slash used on Appetite For Destruction.

It was me that said they don't sound like a real LP. Maybe they don't sound sh*t, but it's still not the guitar it's supposed to be. The weight-relieving was far enough. Why strip the entire inside of the guitar out? They've basically turned it into a hollow-body. As I stated before, I think it's to save on shipping costs to send the guitars to stores all over the world.

I agree that they don't sound like a real LP. As said they sound different and not really bad at all. But it isn't the LP sound we've known and loved. If they did something like the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra, which is a chambered model I'd find it better. But it annoys me that the Standard is chambered for an example.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I know a guy who plays a studio in a jazzy kinda blues band. Not a horrible guitar by any stretch, I played it for a bit and kinda liked it. That said, I've also played an epiphone elitist and liked it more. At that price tag, your options are really open, and you should try copys such as Edwards and Tokai as well.

/im not a paul player, dont take my words
^Being a Les Paul player I can say that you very much have a point. I MUCH prefer the 90's Les Pauls compared to any new ones. Of new guitars I'd also look at the Epi Elitist or a Tokai or Edwards!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Out of all the Les Paul guitars I've played, the closest thing to a vintage LP would be one of the higher quality older Burny Super-Grades or the Older Tokai guitars. They're pretty damn close.

'Course, there's something about an actual '59 that you just can't quite replicate.

It's like the saying goes, 'Often replicated, never duplicated.'
i actually went to guitar center a few days ago and AB tested MANY les pauls, on my OWN tube amp.
The 2008 standard les paul was FAR better than every one there. idk if it was a lucky one out of QC but DAYUM. i think the chambered body makes it resonate more, adding sustain.
guitars it went against-
robot les paul
pre 2008 standard
les paul custom.

the 2008 standard was SLIGHTLY lighter than the others.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Last edited by maiden_mexico at Sep 9, 2008,
Quote by Martin Scott

also save money on wood aswell?

Gibson are such money *****s now.......
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Well nah, I don't think they save money on wood. They use just as much wood, they just then route most of it out.

Quote by maiden_mexico
for those of you who think they just scrape out the insides do not believe that it is not true.

The x-ray proves you wrong.
Quote by Skynyrd890
No, if you get a good one, you get the only Gibson LP that's worth it's price tag...IMO...

I'd also argue that certain SG's are worth the cash. But yeah, LP's in particular are usually VASTLY overpriced.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Gabel
^Being a Les Paul player I can say that you very much have a point. I MUCH prefer the 90's Les Pauls compared to any new ones. Of new guitars I'd also look at the Epi Elitist or a Tokai or Edwards!

Too bad Epi elitists are as far as I know no longer in production.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Page 1 of 2