Hey guys, I have a question.

Do you know what a piezo pickup does for the sound of a guitar when it has a distorted tone? For example, if you're playing some high gain stuff and you switch on the piezo, will it just sound like a boost, or will it make the sound completely different?

Thanks.
ever plug an acoustic into an overdriven amp? that, minus a bit of feedback.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Well usually a piezo has a seperate output which you can run directly into a different amp or PA so you don't have to worry about that.
Piezo systems are typically used for clean, because they're just better at it than magnetic pickups - they give you a focused and clear signal regardless of how hard you pick, while picking gently (or fingerpicking) on a magnetic pickup tends to take the clarity out of the signal. However, that doesn't mean you can't push it through a high gain amp. I can see how clear, focused, and high gain sound can be of use in many many many situations.

If you switch from mag to piezo while in a high gain channel - if your setup allows for that, you'll probably notice some difference in sound, but it's not going to make your amp explode or anything.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!