Can someone explain this to me?

I understand that for the key of C you just play a
C shape - A shape - G shape - E shape and a D shape
3rd fret 5th fret 8th fret 10th fret 12th fret right?

How does this work with other chords like g-a-b-d-e-f-?
the CAGED chords are the ones which are easy (or possible at all) to play in open positions.
i recommend 'a guide to chords, scales & arpeggios'
The CAGED system refers to chord shapes. In open position the shapes for C, A, G, E, and D are all distinctly different. The idea is that you play every chord using all the different shapes up the fretboard to increase your knowledge of the notes and for quick arpeggio shapes while improvising. The following 5 chords are the same, in the key of C for example:

-0--3--8--8---12-
-1--5--5--8---13-
-0--5--5--9---12-
-2--5--5--10--10-
-3--3--7--10-----
-------8--8------
Here is a small lesson on the CAGED system I wrote a few weeks back-

Let's say you have a C chord form.

|--0---|
|--1---|
|--0---|
|--2---|
|--3---|
|--X---|

Now let's say you want to play it higher on the neck. You take the chord form that follows C in the word CAGED, or A, and play an A chord form off of the C tonic.

A Chord Form

|--0---|
|--2---|
|--2---|
|--2---|
|--0---|
|--X---|

A Chord Form off of C Tonic

|--3---|
|--5---|
|--5---|
|--5---|
|--3---|
|--X---|

Do you see how the shape is the same? Now lets say you wanted to play a C chord higher up the neck. In the word CAGED, G comes after A.

G Chord Form

|--3---|
|--3---|
|--0---|
|--0---|
|--2---|
|--3---|

G Chord Form off of C Tonic

|--8---|
|--8---|
|--5---|
|--5---|
|--7---|
|--8---|

The next logical step is a C chord in E chord form.

E Chord Form

|--0---|
|--0---|
|--1---|
|--2---|
|--2---|
|--0---|

E Chord Form off of C tonic

|--8---|
|--8---|
|--9---|
|--10--|
|--10--|
|--8---|

And then a C chord in D chord form.

D Chord Form

|--2---|
|--3---|
|--2---|
|--0---|
|--X---|
|--X---|

D Chord Form off of C tonic

|--12--|
|--13--|
|--12--|
|--10--|
|--X---|
|--X---|

This can be applied to any chord, anywhere on the neck. Simply find out what chord form it is in, and move up the neck with the chord form that follows in the word CAGED.
Quote by newguitars08
How would this work with say a E chord?

In E, the shapes would be as follows:

-0--4--4--7--12-
-0--5--5--9--9--
-1--4--4--9--9--
-2--2--6--9--9--
-2-----7--7--11-
-0-----------12-

Seeing the pattern? I hope so cause this is the last one I'm writing out:P
Quote by newguitars08
Can someone explain this to me?

I understand that for the key of C you just play a
C shape - A shape - G shape - E shape and a D shape
3rd fret 5th fret 8th fret 10th fret 12th fret right?

How does this work with other chords like g-a-b-d-e-f-?

With the CAGED system it helps if you know your root shapes. For each of those chords go through and find where each of the root notes appears on the fretboard. For example find all the E notes on the fretboard and draw them on a blank fretboard. Then all the Gs. All the Bs.

You will notice there is a pattern to where notes appear on the fretboard.

In standard tuning if you find a note on the A string you will always find the same note two frets higher on the G string then the same note is found three frets higher than that on the E strings two frets higher than that on the D string the note occurs again then three frets higher again on the B string and two frets above that back on the A string to complete the pattern.

A root shape is just two of these neighbouring root notes. They always appear in the same order and each shape will share a root note with the next shape.

Each of these root shapes can be used to form a chord shape. In order to play a specific chord you need to know where the root notes are and then form the right shape around it.

Look at this shape. It is a major scale form based on the C chord shape.
(Invalid img) The Chord shape is in red. The root notes are circled blue. If you play the red shape and move the root note on the B string to the fifth fret you will be playing an E major chord using the C chord shape.

The second root note (E) appears on the A string at the seventh fret. If we use this note as our first root we could also play it with the note two frets up on the G string - the 9th fret on the G string which is also an E note. Using this root shape we can construct an E chord using the A shape.
(Invalid img)

You notice that an E major chord constructed using the C shape and the A shape share a root note at the seventh fret of the A string.

So once you have learned your five shapes and where the root notes are in each chord shape. Then all you need to do is move your shape to where the root note lines up with the right note on the fretboard. Or take a note on the fretboard and because of where it is you will know which chord shapes use a root note on that string.
Si
Quote by Donswald
Here is a small lesson on the CAGED system I wrote a few weeks back-

Let's say you have a C chord form.

|--0---|
|--1---|
|--0---|
|--2---|
|--3---|
|--X---|

Now let's say you want to play it higher on the neck. You take the chord form that follows C in the word CAGED, or A, and play an A chord form off of the C tonic.

A Chord Form

|--0---|
|--2---|
|--2---|
|--2---|
|--0---|
|--X---|

A Chord Form off of C Tonic

|--3---|
|--5---|
|--5---|
|--5---|
|--3---|
|--X---|

Do you see how the shape is the same? Now lets say you wanted to play a C chord higher up the neck. In the word CAGED, G comes after A.

G Chord Form

|--3---|
|--3---|
|--0---|
|--0---|
|--2---|
|--3---|

G Chord Form off of C Tonic

|--8---|
|--8---|
|--5---|
|--5---|
|--7---|
|--8---|

The next logical step is a C chord in E chord form.

E Chord Form

|--0---|
|--0---|
|--1---|
|--2---|
|--2---|
|--0---|

E Chord Form off of C tonic

|--8---|
|--8---|
|--9---|
|--10--|
|--10--|
|--8---|

And then a C chord in D chord form.

D Chord Form

|--2---|
|--3---|
|--2---|
|--0---|
|--X---|
|--X---|

D Chord Form off of C tonic

|--12--|
|--13--|
|--12--|
|--10--|
|--X---|
|--X---|

This can be applied to any chord, anywhere on the neck. Simply find out what chord form it is in, and move up the neck with the chord form that follows in the word CAGED.

I would love to see you or anyone for that matter fret that chord in red and have every note ring out. i cant seem to get the high G note on the b string to sound.
"Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it." ~Henry David Thoreau
Quote by pearlJam_31490
I would love to see you or anyone for that matter fret that chord in red and have every note ring out. i cant seem to get the high G note on the b string to sound.

lol yeah. try

Si
thats what i was doing lol
"Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it." ~Henry David Thoreau