Hey all. I'm kind of in a tight spot here. The scratching noise you get when you angle the pick...well, for me, it's a scratchy-squealy noise.

Since I have one of the worst amps in the world, I can't change my mids.

Would a new amp with more tonal range quiet the squealy noise? Maybe I should adjust my distortion settings a bit? Honestly, not angling the pick is totally out of the question. It just feels funny.

I'm tired of worrying more about tone than the actual quality/acuraccy of my playing. Hopefully, I get some answers.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Sep 1, 2008,
you probably should use less gain/distortion.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
You probably should hold the pick properly. Unless of course I'm misunderstanding you.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
are you sure you are not making a pinch harmonic and that is that squealy sound you are talking about? or maybe you are putting too much angle in the pick so you are sliding more than picking the string, if you are thinking about tone well get a new amp but I don't think thats the reason for the "squealy sound"
Quote by Mistytario
are you sure you are not making a pinch harmonic and that is that squealy sound you are talking about? or maybe you are putting too much angle in the pick so you are sliding more than picking the string, if you are thinking about tone well get a new amp but I don't think thats the reason for the "squealy sound"

Pretty sure it's not a harmonic. I think I'll try About's advice. I'm kind of a gain *****.

Anyways, yes, I know I hold the pick right. Index and thumb fingers and I only angle it about 30 degrees to the string...I think. OHH SH*T I BETTER CHECK THAT OUT!