Im in a sorta "Band" with a drummer (he sucks...but w/e) a rythm guitarist, and me, Lead. Ill sing and my rythm, chris can too. How do we properly make ourselves recognized? Even if it comes that me and the rest of the guys cant do anything TOGETHER, how do i get MYSELF recognized? I think im good enough to atleast play by myself and would like be known. How to ya "Get out there?" Any thoughts?
MichaelEMJAYARE
sell out, sounds like you'd be good at it
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
play a **** ton of gigs and get out there and tour. Also myspace.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
play shows, record music, make a music myspace
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
myspace is a good start.
there are a lot of bands on there
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
you gotta record yourself and get some demo cd's out. just pass them out for free, people love free stuff and pretty soon you will get gigs. and eventually if your really good and unique, word is going to get out that you have something special and you might get discovered.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

play music. then share this music with many people through the internet and word of mouth. your band will surely take over the world.
Firstly, stop being a narcissist.
Second, make good music that's original yet likeable at the same time. There's a lot of hard work, you've gotta start off playing ****ty small gigs to build yourself up, success doesn't happen overnight. Put as much time into your songwriting as you can, make every note perfect. Everyone would like to be known but it's just not gonna happen in most cases, and you're even less likely to do it if you go alone. Until your band changes from a 'sorta' band to a 'proper' band then I don't think you're committed enough to handle success in any form
ohai little sig.
Quote by Demonikk
Firstly, stop being a narcissist.
Second, make good music that's original yet likeable at the same time. There's a lot of hard work, you've gotta start off playing ****ty small gigs to build yourself up, success doesn't happen overnight. Put as much time into your songwriting as you can, make every note perfect. Everyone would like to be known but it's just not gonna happen in most cases, and you're even less likely to do it if you go alone. Until your band changes from a 'sorta' band to a 'proper' band then I don't think you're committed enough to handle success in any form

Yes. +1

Although, It's a little eccentric to say every note should be perfect, or even close to perfect.

Another tip, go search myspace music under your genre. Say you're thrash metal, you search thrash metal bands and add all of them. Well, you can skip HUGE bands like Metallica and Slayer. Really focus on the people with 500-20,000 fans. Why add them? Well I've added a few unpopular bands and I get all sorts of friend requests for other bands like them. Obviously knowing being known by a bunch of bands helps in the long run, especially if you talk to them every once in a while.
Well firstly you've gotta really be an outstanding musician, to make you 'stand out' from most other musicians. (your competition)
Then you need the best promotion money can buy. If you don't happen to have millions of dollars yourself, you need a label behind you that does have millions of dollars and are willing to spend it on promoting you.
Play lots of gigs, record lots of tunes that sell really well, get involved with charity events (hey, it's all free publicity right?) and make sure that you give lots of really good interviews and somehow get your face in all the newspapers at least twice a week, usualy by being 'seen' at all the right functions or having a public argument with your supermodel wife who's only with you because you're famous, or getting photographed doing a line of coke at a party.

That's sorta the direction that most famous musicians end up going, but does any of that sound kinda ugly to you? It does to me. And this is why you hear so many stories of famous musicians crashing and burning all the time. Because they've just spent the best years of their lives becoming working their arses off to become famous, only to find out that fame isn't actualy everything they thought it would be, and that depresses them.

Listen, I really don't mean to rain on your parade, and if you're really serious about becoming famous and wish to make it a lifelong career, then I wish you the very best of luck because you're gonna need it.
But the reality is, you are more than likely setting yourself up for disappointment. The great majority of working musicians out there never get recognised, they never become famous, and most of 'em ain't too bothered about it either.
They make enough money to get by on and they enjoy what they do a hell of a lot more than most famous musicians because they don't have all the pressures of constant touring, recording, touring, recording, interviews, management, marketing, finding out what the average audience likes and writing material to suit that rather than what you'd actualy like to write, drugs, scandals, no privacy, never getting any actual sense out of anyone because you're surrounded by 'yes' men.
A well seasoned pro musician will tell you every time that it isn't about the fame, it isn't really about the money either, it's about enjoying yourself. Hell, that's why you picked up a guitar in the first place isn't it?
Rather than going all out to become famous, it's actualy a more enjoyable life if you simply play your gigs as and when you want to and write music that you want to write and meet and become friends with people who genuinly like you and want to be your friend or your lover rather than people who are only hanging around you because you're famous, and if you make any money and gain respect from people along the way, then treat it as a bonus.
You may even become famous doing it that way (it's happened before) but at least you'll be famous and happy.

Your happiness comes first, you're career comes second, so try not to let your chosen career make you unhappy.